Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please help! Need to choose a good NAS for my apple tc 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please help me, I want to buy a NAS and I don't know which one to choose, I was thinking to get the netgear stora with 2x 2tb drives, but that will be just mirrored so I'll have just 2tb of space, how about the WD MY BOOK LIVE 2tb?

Please let me know which one to buy, this way I won't have any problems using it.

Thank you all
1: what is your budget ?
2: How much storage do you want ?
3: what are your needs for a NAS
3a Storage
3b RAID level
3c ease of use
3d DNLA
3e FTP/SMB/AFP/NFS etc
3f itunes server
3g remote access
4: are you alble to build your own NAS from parts or do you want a pre build
5: maintenance ?do you want plug and play or want to tweak?
etc

I have a 8TB RAID 5 NAS from Netgear which does all above. When 1 drive fails I still hope te retain all my data. With RAID 5 and filesystem format I have a net. of 5.5 TB real free diskspace

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000: 220 €
4x 2TB drives 270€

Total budget 500€
Don't waste your money on a NAS box, most of them are WAYYY over priced and not worth it.

Buy one of these,
or something of similar specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ML110-G4-Tower-DC...20b8343494

And use "FREENAS" http://freenas.org/ on a USB thumb drive as your Operating System, then you can put as many HDD as you want in the damn thing. and it will do all the crap that idioteque stated above and more.

But if you want to buy a "pre-built" one then they're only worth getting if they're capable of taking a few HDD's.

and most 2 - 3 bay pre built NAS boxes are wayy to expensive.
The computer in the link i sent you has 8 built in SATA ports... and if you want, add another SATA controller card and expand you SATA ports for more.

Build it= save money, be very happy, and modify it as you please.

buy it = spend lots of money, limited to what it is out of the box, and no option to expand SATA ports.

I have the same PC in the link running Freenas setup with Currently 6TB of storage and get about 80MB/s upload/download to and from using SMB and gigabit ethernet. So i am extremely happy with it.

That's my two cents.
thank you both for your help, but the second post it's too expensive, and the first post to too advanced for me Tongue, I already have some external hdd's attached to my macbook pro, my mac mini and to my iMac, total of 5tb, but i find myself turning on sometingh on just for some songs, movies and so on.

I wanted to buy a NAS, which I can store just my movies, music and some photos, having them on a NAS, won't require to turn on some machine just to watch a movie or listen to my playlist.

I live in Italy, and a ebayer made me an 130euro offer for 2x2tb wd 2tb 3,5" interal hdd's which I can use it with the netgear stora, but that's only raid1, so the hdd's will be mirrored...

my needs are just storage, plug 'n play, itunes server, ease of use, DNLA, FTP/SMB/AFP/NFS and some remote access.

how about the wd my book live 3tb? but that doesn't have an usb port to attach further storage.

Please help.....
If you're looking for a cheap option, then you don't have much choice other then to go with WD my book.

The option i suggested is best. But for a ''budget'' need, you won't find anything fantastic. Sorry.
lol i would choose world edition II....

But that's more expensive than the option i suggested, to build your own.

See what i mean? lol
$474.99 to buy the World edition II on ebay.

i built mine for $290 and can put more than 16TB in the thing...