Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What port do I need to open to remote control XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have port 8080 open which lets me look around the library and start videos using my Android phone, but I am unable to use it as a "remote control" to pause or control the OSD on the TV. Which port do I have to open to do this from the WAN side so I don't have to turn on WiFi on my phone?
Do you have port forwarding setup to direct the connections to port 8080 to XBMC?
shadow Wrote:I have port 8080 open which lets me look around the library and start videos using my Android phone, but I am unable to use it as a "remote control" to pause or control the OSD on the TV. Which port do I have to open to do this from the WAN side so I don't have to turn on WiFi on my phone?

It's much faster and easier to use wi-fi, but it can be done without.

Set up port forwarding on 8080 through your router. With your phone, tell the app to connect to your computer's external IP address.

While this may work for a while, it depends on your ISP. Unless you have a static IP address, you need to set up a DNS server (no-ip.com)
For the remote part you need to port-forward 9777 (and set xbmc up correctly with allowing remote control programs outside of the system to control xbmc)
Thanks 9777 worked.

I have had a dyndns account for awhile so that was no problem I find not using WiFi better since I don't have to wait for it to reconnect after turning the screen on just to pause the movie.
Nice after some testing this is faster then wifi.

Mainly because I am in a highly congested 2.4ghz area to the point it slows down my connection. For example I have a dual router that does both 2.4 and 5ghz when I scp to my wired htpc from my laptop connected to the 2.4ghz ssid I get about 37kbps but connect the laptop to the 5ghz ssid and do the same it jumps to 1.2mbps.

My phone is stuck in the 2.4ghz range