Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HD Video Corruption with 10.1 and VDPAU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EDIT

This may be a PVR-specific problem, since I believe the code is pulled from the upcoming 11.0 XBMC version and not the existing 10.1. Within XBMC the version reports as 11.0 - the changelog file reports:

Code:
-- Lars Op den Kamp <[email protected]>  Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:51:03 +0200

xbmc (2:11.0-pvr-odk19) experimental; urgency=low

------

Okay, I know I should be posting logfiles and sample videos, but a search hasn't shown up any immediately relevant posts so I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone has any brainwaves already.

Since upgrading to 10.1 (I'm running the latest PVR derivative - d.u.w., Lars!), I've had problems with corrupted video on 720p and 1080p h.264 files - the lower 5%, 10% of the image turns into a very trippy shifting green sludge. Disabling VDPAU removes the free added visualisation, but my little ION system (Acer Revo 3600, Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid) then struggles with CPU-only grunt.

Now, I rebooted into a previous 10.0 version, and the same files play fine, so it's definitely something that appeared in this version (and I thought I'd have noticed previously, but it was worth checking!).

I've re-wrapped the original flv files into mp4 and mkv with the latest ffmpeg, but that makes no difference, so it's not a container issue.

I've re-encoded the source with HandBrake, and I get a file that plays perfectly - but to have to go back and re-encode all my files isn't something to be done lightly.

Peering at the files while playing, there's little to choose between them: PAR, DAR, Mb/s, audio tracks, etc. are all pretty much identical. If anything, the re-encode is at a higher bitrate so it's not that. The only noticeable change is PAR is 180:180 in the original and 1:1 in the re-encode.

My suspicion is that it's an ffmpeg issue - I've seen similar questions appearing with the introduction of multi-threading into ffmpeg, but I don't know what code got included into the 10.1 XBMC build to know if this is a likely explanation.

I've tried Mplayer, Smplayer, VLC and Xine, but I've so far failed to get any of them up and running with VDPAU (and don't want to really be adding new PPAs to my live system to get versions precompiled with the right options if I can avoid it). So it's inconclusive thus far as to whether it's ffmpeg or XBMC.

Anyone seeing anything similar? In "real" 10.1 or the PVR version? I'm off to run a clean logfile, which I'll peer at and post in due course, but input welcome if anyone has thoughts.

Cheers...
No-one else? Genuinely just me? Interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with the original encoding, then. I'll see if there is anything complaining in the log file and add later on the off chance anyone else is seeing this as well.

Screenshot:

The lump of purest green will "smear" and wash up and down as the video progresses.

As an aside, if anyone has any suggestions about a better thread to raise this in, please share - while I'm using the PVR version, it's not immediately obvious that it would be related to the PVR code and thus may be something in the main code tree.
Prof Yaffle Wrote:No-one else? Genuinely just me? Interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with the original encoding, then. I'll see if there is anything complaining in the log file and add later on the off chance anyone else is seeing this as well.

Screenshot:

The lump of purest green will "smear" and wash up and down as the video progresses.

As an aside, if anyone has any suggestions about a better thread to raise this in, please share - while I'm using the PVR version, it's not immediately obvious that it would be related to the PVR code and thus may be something in the main code tree.

Yeah, I get this sometimes - maybe 20% of the time. When it happens I can't make it go away, but the next day it is ok again. I am OpenElec, using iplayer with a proxy in the USA.

(meant to say - i get this on iplayer only, nothing else)

Jon
Quote:Yeah, I get this sometimes - maybe 20% of the time

Thanks for that. Makes me feel a little better ;-)

If you're interested, I've been battering this to death in another thread. It'd be interesting to see if your "20% of the time" is when you pick up HD (or 1080x720 resolution, anyway) broadcasts. Certainly I first saw it when "pick the best stream" chose the HD files - limiting the iplayer plugin to lower resolutions pretty much solves it.

Ian