Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Renaming Folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been a bit messy and left some folders named pretty badly.. For example...

"The.Matrix revolutions xvid ac3 480p"

However, I have used the scraper, and manually searched for "the matrix" and manually searched for the file, added it, saved the corresponding data...

The scraper failed to find or even guess what these files were and left them blank... I think it was due to the "." in the file name as when it was removed it found the corresponding data... Also when I added "." to the rest of the file name (where the current spaces are) it to found the data, meaning I now know I can't have file names with dots and spaces on the same line...

Now, here is my question...
As I added this information to this folder manually (via the Refresh option) and selected it my self, if I rename the folder at a later date, (to the correct file name structure) will xbmc still recognise the data I have scraped? Or will I need to rename the data to match the new folder name... and if so, what to?

Do I just rename the files in the folder to exactly what the folder was/is renamed to?

Does that make sense? Big Grin

Basically...
Current folder:
The.Matrix Revolutions Xvid ac3 480p/everything in here named in this manner

Changing to:
The Matrix Revolutions 2003/ but data in here still labeled as the structure above... Only the folder name has changed...

Will xbmc recognise my badly labeled dats or will I have to rename it to the new folder name?

Any ideas, sorry for the poor explanation lol Laugh
If anything is renamed then XBMC will see it as new and rescan for files and you will have two of each show. You can then run the clean operation on the video database and it should get rid of the dupes. You will, however, loose any watched statuses. Generally as long as XBMC can determine what the proper title is you should be OK. Having extra characters at the end of the file name, in most cases, doesn't impact the scanner.
Dobyken Wrote:If anything is renamed then XBMC will see it as new and rescan for files and you will have two of each show. You can then run the clean operation on the video database and it should get rid of the dupes. You will, however, loose any watched statuses. Generally as long as XBMC can determine what the proper title is you should be OK. Having extra characters at the end of the file name, in most cases, doesn't impact the scanner.

Agh, thanks for that. That puts my mind at rest...

I need to rename most of my folders, but as they contain the movie info files that xbmc downloaded and I exported I was worried that if I rename the folder, xbmc will not recognise the files within the folder as they won't match the name of the folder they are now in ... But if it still recognises them that's good enough for me Smile

So it doesn't matter if the folder structure is as follows:

C:\Movies\The Matrix Revolutions (2003)\The.Matrix revolutions Xvid Ac3 480p.avi
C:\Movies\The Matrix Revolutions (2003)\The.Matrix revolutions Xvid Ac3 480p.nfo

The files no longer match the parent folder name.. But it will not matter to xbmc ... Is that right? It will still just add the data, the nfo, the jpegs, actor details etc even though they no longer match the parent folders naming convention / structure.

Thanks again for the reply, as it means that by Understanding this I can build by database now (albeit untidyely) and then tidy it up as I go along knowing I won't damage or lose and valuable data along the way.

Much appreciated Dobyken Cool
PatrickBateman Wrote:Agh, thanks for that. That puts my mind at rest...

I need to rename most of my folders, but as they contain the movie info files that xbmc downloaded and I exported I was worried that if I rename the folder, xbmc will not recognise the files within the folder as they won't match the name of the folder they are now in ... But if it still recognises them that's good enough for me Smile

So it doesn't matter if the folder structure is as follows:

C:\Movies\The Matrix Revolutions (2003)\The.Matrix revolutions Xvid Ac3 480p.avi
C:\Movies\The Matrix Revolutions (2003)\The.Matrix revolutions Xvid Ac3 480p.nfo

The files no longer match the parent folder name.. But it will not matter to xbmc ... Is that right? It will still just add the data, the nfo, the jpegs, actor details etc even though they no longer match the parent folders naming convention / structure.

Thanks again for the reply, as it means that by Understanding this I can build by database now (albeit untidyely) and then tidy it up as I go along knowing I won't damage or lose and valuable data along the way.

Much appreciated Dobyken Cool

Actually if you exported the data to the folders it just reads the existing nfo file for the data so XBMC should not have to rescrape the movie info....goes a lot faster. If you also exported the thumbs and actors it will also read those in as well. The new folder name will be used and automatically associated with all your data do that's not a problem. My system is almost identical to what you have above....properly named folders and files with the beginning of the filename properly named and all sorts of things after the name and don't have any issues with the scraper other than an occasional burp where there might be 4-5 movies that start the same and XBMC might pick the wrong one. That's where adding the release year after the title sometimes helps.