Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dharma: Suddenly getting 10-12fps on 1080p (worked flawlessly before)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been running Dharma (10.1 now) since it's release on my Asrock ION 330 and it's been working without any problems for a couple of months.
Suddenly yesterday I try to watch some 1080p material and impossible to get something that is watchable... Dropped frames are exploding and I dont get more than 10-12 fps. This is also happening when just browsing through the interface.

CPU never gets over 10-15% (movie or interface), it's choppy as hell as it doesn't go over 10-12 fps.

Latest NVididia drivers are installed (260.19.44), vdpau is activated and seems to be running. I tried to switch to Confluence skin and same thing.

Here's the log file:
http://pastebin.com/GUtNQP8e

Thanks for your help!
Something is slowing down the render thread, the log shows no obvious cause, maybe it's because of subtitle rendering.
Strange, because there are no subtitles in the videos I used for testing...
I found the cause of my problem... Heat!
Apparently my Asrock 330 HT is running too hot. I hadn't noticed it, but it was so hot that when I powered it off (usually runs 24/7) I almost burnt myself. I let it cool down for a while and 1080p was running smotthly again when I started it up again...

Did anyone one have temp problems with the 330? Does the GPU run in a reduced speed mode when it gets too hot?
geekmiki Wrote:Did anyone one have temp problems with the 330? Does the GPU run in a reduced speed mode when it gets too hot?

Everything runs in "reduced speed mode" when it gets hot. There's a video from about ten years ago where this group took the cooling fan off of Intel and AMD processors while playing the game Quake. Some frames were definitely dropped Smile

Anyway, heat stifles performance in most aspects of our world - computers are no exception.