Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Faking" Center Channel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I know I have posted something like this in the past, and never really got around to fixing it. I've learned more and hope to come about asking this in a more respectful manner -- and hopefully finally get this issue solved!

Here's my issue -- I'm guessing with the better quality that today's media provides, there are more channels for audio to go to, many of them missed without using a multi-channel set-up. That said, I'm having quite the hard time "balancing" my audio. Most of the issue is that sound effects are too loud, and dialog is too soft. I've learned that the problem lies within the center channel. So without further ado, let me post my settings and see if that is a good starting place for anyone to point me in the right direction:

TV:

Code:
Toshiba Model Number: 32C100U1
Audio Setup:
   PC Audio: No
   HDMI 1 Audio: Auto
   Optical Output Format: Dolby Digital
Audio Settings:
   Bass: 7
   Trebel: 10
   Balance: 0

ALSAMIXER:
Code:
Card: NDA NVidia
Chip: Nvidia MCP79/7A HDMI
Master, Speaker, PCM, Front: 100

XBMC:
Code:
Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 2.1
Boost Volume Level on Downmix (Checked)
Dolby Digital Capable Receiver (Unchecked)
DTS Capable Receiver (Unchecked)
Audio Output Device: Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)
Passthrough Output Device: HDMI

The test movie I'm using is my copy of Batman Begins, at 4:05 where Ras Al Gual is talking to Bruce in a holding cell. The audio profile for this copy is 5.1 AAC. The voices are coming in very low, especially since the gunshots about 30 seconds previously (or one down-arrow press) are LOUD.

I'm sure you guys are going to want some kinds of dumps, but it's late (at least for me) and I haven't the slightest clue what to dump. To me, my greatest breakthrough with this is that I found out that 2.1 channel made the dialog a bit better. That's why you get all the info I can get -- from my TV settings, to my Alsamixer settings to my XBMC settings.

Thanks to anyone willing to take on this task. Anything you need from me I'm willing to provide. Except money...I don't have a lot of that these days Oo
turn on 'loudness equalization' effect in windows audio device properties.

I battled this issue for ages, that is the single only setting that helped. It really dials in the quiet voices.
Wait, I did post this in the right forum, right? I'm running Ubuntu...Oo
You might try checking the Dolby digital receiver box. Most TVs can downmix 5.1 internally, so you may get better results.
cowfodder Wrote:You might try checking the Dolby digital receiver box. Most TVs can downmix 5.1 internally, so you may get better results.

I have, and just recently unchecked it. However, I had just learned that my TV's audio settings had it so that I had PC Audio: Yes, for whatever reason, so I'll give it a try. Thank you.