Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV shows on no internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, so, let me try to explain XD

Computer A is my main computer, which sadly does not have internet. Computer B is a friend's computer (he also has XBMC), an he does have internet. I have some tv shows on computer A that I would love to have information for, but because I don't have internet, it's not gonna happen. I was just wondering if I could put my tv shows on his computer, do the scan, yadda yadda, then copy a file(s) over to computer A and get the tv info/the whole tv shows library thing.

Thanks.Big Grin

Also, if this is possible for movies as well...
Sure it's possible... you don't even need the full video's to do it... a simple small place holder video with the correct name is all you need, be sure to make sure you've set the content correctly before you scrape. The information that XBMC will scrape is a special XBMC format that will make it inconvenient to get at (a note pad reader and image viewer could be used) unless you too are running XBMC (you might consider a USB live version).

let's hope you get an internet connection one of these days.
right, a small placeholder video, to save time in transferring it, but what exactly do I do to get that information (plot, etc.) onto my computer? Sorry if I can't see the obvious at the moment, I'm a bit tired.

Sorry if I made it unclear, but the info is just going to be used by XBMC on my computer.
natnatertater Wrote:right, a small placeholder video, to save time in transferring it, but what exactly do I do to get that information (plot, etc.) onto my computer? Sorry if I can't see the obvious at the moment, I'm a bit tired.

Sorry if I made it unclear, but the info is just going to be used by XBMC on my computer.

Pat's correct but I don't think he went far enough with his answer. Create a new folder on your computer and put a fake copy of each movie in it's own folder also named the same as the video file except for the extension. For TV shows create a folder for each show and season 1, season 2 folders and place the dummy files in those folders. Copy those to a CD or DVD and bring them to your friends house and copy the folders to his computer. Add a new sources in his XBMC system for your folders and have him scan them in. He then does a export to individual files including all thumbs and actors. All the data is now in your folders so you can make a new CD or DVD of those and copy them to your computer minus the fake files. Move your real files to the new folders and XBMC will see the NFO files and Thumbs and use them instead of trying to grab them from the internet.
It doesn't matter where I put the videos once I do this, right? Just as long as the NFO's are with their corresponding video?
natnatertater Wrote:It doesn't matter where I put the videos once I do this, right? Just as long as the NFO's are with their corresponding video?

Correct...Just make sure the fake ones are named exactly the same as the real ones. A couple of other things. When your friend exports to files it does everything, including all his files so he'll wind up with exported metadata with his files. You may want to start with a new database on your system and let it scan in your files. Sometimes if a partial scan was done previously it may not rescan and you would have to manually refresh each title. At that point a little box pops up and asks if you want to use local data or the internet so you would choose local data. Just be careful with your fake files to ensure you don't overwrite the real ones.
Start with a new database as in....

Also, is him having metadata a bad thing? I'm not sure what metadata is, really :S

I'm fine with refreshing things manually, no problem.
natnatertater Wrote:Start with a new database as in....

Also, is him having metadata a bad thing? I'm not sure what metadata is, really :S

I'm fine with refreshing things manually, no problem.

Metadata is just the additional information about a show such as season and episode thumbs, descriptions etc. It's not a bad idea for him to do an export since if anything happens to his database in the future it can be used to quickly import all his files into a new database. I thought of one thing after I left the last message. He could create what's known as a profile on his system which is basically a new user that has a separate database. If you import and scan under a profile user it will not impact his database or files at all. He could then delete the profile when done. Take a look at the XBMC wiki concerning profiiles.
Alright, awesome, thanks. Sorry for the late reply Big Grin I'll try all this out the next time I get over to his place.