Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Noob looking for some advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, here's my story - I wanted to build an HTPC, but like everything else, I went a little overboard - I have the following setup:

Asus Micro ATX HDMI motherboard
4GB RAM
AMB Athalon II X2 3Ghz dual-core
BluRay Drive
Dual TV tuner
3TB worth of HDDs

The thing is large, but it's ok, it looks fine in the space.

However, I can't find a good remote that both my wife and our babysitter (we have in-home care for our kids during the day, and she's older) can use and be comfortable with.

So, is this a dumb idea: I want to buy an Apple TV and set it up so they can easily pull the XBMC content plus use Netflix. So I'll have this oversize HTPC sitting there acting as a big networked storage drive, feeding content to the Apple TV...

I thought about getting a remote like a Logitech, but the Apple TV option is actually cheaper.

I need the computer to stay there, because I use WMC to watch and record live TV (they won't be able to access that from the ATV, but they can watch live TV over the air when they want).

Thoughts? If I had it to do over again, I probably would have planned better with a NAS and whatnot, but live and learn.
Seems like a stupid idea when you've got a great box underneath.

Why don't you buy a keyboard with a touch pad built in and sellotape the xbmc shortkeys to the back of it for reference?
Actually, now that I did some research, you're right, that's dumb. I can do the same thing with the PS3 I already have using PS3 Media Center. That way I can get all the benefit of XBMC when I'm there, but when I'm not they have a quick and easy way to get to the content with a remote they're already comfortable with.
What's wrong with the original XBox remote? Works a treat and super easy to use.

chimpsinties Wrote:What's wrong with the original XBox remote? Works a treat and super easy to use.

Or an RC6 Media Center remote? They're cheap and the WAF/BSAF should be high?
I would recommend getting the babysitter to take the kids outside and not to encourage TV viewing. As for the wife just good old fashion education should suffice..

All tongue in cheek btw....