Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Most unobtrusive library update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm getting a bit tired of having XBMC do a library update every time I start it up, as it takes a while and if I start a movie before it's over, it usually messes new movies/TV shows up so they won't show up or will have missing info.

is there a more effective way where the update either runs in the background or won't mess anything up if I start a movie before it's over?

I'm on Windows.
try the auto library update addon. You can schedule it to run when you are not around... once a day should be plenty.
My PC is sleeping when not in use, so that can't be done I'm afraid.
Why not use a windows scheduled task? That can wake it from sleep and send the library update command.
Hmm yeah sounds interesting. However I can only find Linux information about how to run a "crom" task or something to make a library update.
How can I do it on Windows?
"task scheduler" is the windows equivalent.
You could also modify your advancesettings.xml to hide the update as it happens -
this way it is less obtrusive.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate> <!-- set to hide the video scanner dialog from the gui -->
    <cleanonupdate>false</cleanonupdate>  <!-- set to false to prevent xbmc from removing items from the database while updating -->
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
Hope that helps.
jabba_29 Wrote:"task scheduler" is the windows equivalent.
You could also modify your advancesettings.xml to hide the update as it happens -
this way it is less obtrusive.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate> <!-- set to hide the video scanner dialog from the gui -->
    <cleanonupdate>false</cleanonupdate>  <!-- set to false to prevent xbmc from removing items from the database while updating -->
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
Hope that helps.

Some skins have this as an option as well. I'm using Cirrus Extended and its one of the skins that features this option. Only downside is that you won't know if your library is being updated and you may start a movie not knowing an update is happening.

You could also add the library updater to your xbmc favorites and then pin it to the main menu using skin settings (most skins support this now). Then after its on your main menu you can remove it from favorites and it will still work. Turn Update Library on startup off and then you have a realy easy way to update your library from your main menu.
Quote:Some skins have this as an option as well. I'm using Cirrus Extended and its one of the skins that features this option. Only downside is that you won't know if your library is being updated and you may start a movie not knowing an update is happening.
Didn't know that, & you are so right about the not knowing part :-)