Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Logitech Harmony 300 with XBMC Live problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I installed XBMC Live 10.1 "Dharma" on the ASUS S1-AT5NM10E. The ASUS S1-AT5NM10E box has its own infrared receiver and comes w/o remote control.

So, I bought a Logitech Harmony 300 remote control and programmed it to work in the "MCE Remote" mode.

The problem is that when the Asus box is OFF I can turn it ON by pressing the "Power ON" button on the Logitech remote. But as soon as the XBMC is started the system doesn't react on any signals from the remote control.

I typed the "dmesg | grep -i lirc" in the command mode and got the following answer:

I guess that it means that the IR driver is properly recognized and installed in the system.

Any idea what might be the problem?
Now I strongly believe that the Logitech remote not the problem here. The remote just works. As prove - it turns the system ON, so at least this function is right and the same button should be able to turn the XBMC box OFF.

The problem seem to be in the software support of the IR sensor in the system. It seems to be broken. I run the "dpkg-reconfigure lirc" and set the remote to "Windows Media Center (all)" (don't remember the exact wording, but I believe this is the right choice for MCE Remote). The "irw" command didn't show any codes sent from the remote when I was pressing buttons. So I strongly believe that this is the problem of the Asus box not being properly recognized by XBMC.

Any suggestion how to fix that?
I am also very interested in this combination (ASUS S1-AT5NM10E + Ubuntu/XBMC or XBMC Live + Harmony (600 in my case)). It would be really perfect but obviously the remote problems are, unfortunately, still not solved. I can just offer you my and another thread regarding this issue:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99771

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88073

And i´ve posted a private message to Larry_Lobster if he made any progress on this yet.
flipsns Wrote:I am also very interested in this combination (ASUS S1-AT5NM10E + Ubuntu/XBMC or XBMC Live + Harmony (600 in my case)). It would be really perfect but obviously the remote problems are, unfortunately, still not solved. I can just offer you my and another thread regarding this issue:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99771

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88073

And i´ve posted a private message to Larry_Lobster if he made any progress on this yet.

Nice to hear that I'm now alone. Meanwhile I managed to get remote to work with the asus box following the instructions from the wiki, but as the wiki says it works until the next reboot, and then you have to run "dpkg-reconfigure lirc" to get it working again. So as a proof of concept it works but at this stage it's not really practical, I still have my wired keyboard connected to the box and impatiently wait till someone resolves the problem. If it will work one day then we'll have THE ULTIMATE MEDIA CENTER in our hands. This box is adorable!

BTW, I recently tried to install Windows XP on it and then XBMC on top of it. All hardware parts work pretty well with provided drivers but the whole experience (and knowing that it runs shitty windows) is much worse that when it runs as Ubuntu + XBMC Live combo.
testik Wrote:BTW, I recently tried to install Windows XP on it and then XBMC on top of it. All hardware parts work pretty well with provided drivers but the whole experience (and knowing that it runs shitty windows) is much worse that when it runs as Ubuntu + XBMC Live combo.

Since the Ubuntu/XBMC/Harmony combo is not practical yet, i will have to take the WinXP-Solution. So i take the chance to ask you for your experience:

First of all, does the harmony work flawlessly under XP/XBMC combo?

And, what would be very interesting for me: is it possible to navigate throw the desktop/menu with the harmony? What i mean is, if i have the xbmc-link on the desktop, can i start the program only with the harmony or do i still need a keyboard/mouse for this?
flipsns Wrote:First of all, does the harmony work flawlessly under XP/XBMC combo?

And, what would be very interesting for me: is it possible to navigate throw the desktop/menu with the harmony? What i mean is, if i have the xbmc-link on the desktop, can i start the program only with the harmony or do i still need a keyboard/mouse for this?

Just go ahead and install it. Don't forget to fetch the latest hardware drivers from the Asus website. My Harmony 300 was sending all commands/signals twice to the box (e.g. you push the "down" button once and it actually sends two "down" signals to the box, thus you navigate down two times) - it was the only bug, but it's a known one and should be fixable via adjusting "sensitivity" settings on the harmony. However I didn't bother to fix it as I was not considering to run Windows long term on this box.

I didn't try to use harmony inside of the Windows UI, but I suspect that it should also work. BTW, you can put the XBMC icon into the auto start directory and thus launch XBMC automatically after the windows start up.

Good luck and keep us updated about your progress!

PS: I'm returning the harmony 300 remote back to the shop where I bought it, I find it too bulky and too overkill for my needs. I just trained my cheap (5 euros) universal remote control to send MCE codes and it perfectly does the job. Moreover, an universal remote with a learn function is much more flexible than harmony, because you can learn one device layout to control both TV (e.g. to adjust volume) and XBMC (for everything else) without constantly switching between different device layouts on the remote. IMO this is a huge usability advantage and time saver.
The Harmony 300 is a great remote for the money and its also a learning remote hence the IR receiver on the back of the remote you can add custom learned codes to any remote profile you like

I have one using the remote profile of a MCE Keyboard running in XP as XP didn't install ehome drivers and this was the best option I just dragged the XBMC keystrokes onto the correct buttons, unused keys can be used for custom actions
So, here is my announced experience. But since this is now a Windows specific experience/problem, i continue the thread here.
I have a Harmony 300 together with my XBMC-Live on an ASRock ION330HT.

However I found no proper profile on MyHarmony so I trained all buttons individually for the original ASrock Remote over to the Harmony.
odoll Wrote:I have a Harmony 300 together with my XBMC-Live on an ASRock ION330HT.

However I found no proper profile on MyHarmony so I trained all buttons individually for the original ASrock Remote over to the Harmony.

Last time I looked the ASRock ION330HT is actually listed as one of the profiles on their site and its basically just a MCE remote anyway