Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] XBMC Live killed my Windows 7 installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,
I've used XBMC for months under my Windows 7 laptop and being a happy user, yesterday I decided to test the Live version.

So I've managed to install Live 10 on an USB key and boot. On the boot menu, I choose the "XBMC Live" option and it worked well.

I reboot again to check other option and choose "default" and it entered to a program which seems about to install XBMC on my hard disk (it displayed language selection menu). Because I don't want to do that, I reboot again (by pressing power button on my laptop), pulled out the USB key but it cannot boot to Windows anymore.

I suspect that the MBR (master boor record) on my disk is corrupted due to the previous XBMC's effort to install itself on the disk.

Can anyone kindly point me to any solution for this problem ?

I also notice that with XBMC Live the audio files (FLAC) are played faster than normal speed. They doesn't sound like chipmunks but it is very noticeable that the tempo is faster than normal. I have no problem with XBMC under Windows. BTW, I played the audio via external USB DAC.
Quote:I suspect that the MBR (master boor record) on my disk is corrupted due to the previous XBMC's effort to install itself on the disk.
Not likely if you stoped at the language selection.

If the win7 boot is broken you have to boot a win7 DVD, enter command line and enter a number of command that will rebuild.
vikjon0 Wrote:Not likely if you stoped at the language selection.

If the win7 boot is broken you have to boot a win7 DVD, enter command line and enter a number of command that will rebuild.

thanks.
I'm pretty sure that I stopped at language selection screen. Now I 'm process of creating a recovery CD. finger crossed.
but is there any info about the increased music tempo in XBMC Live ?
i2k92 Wrote:thanks.
I'm pretty sure that I stopped at language selection screen. Now I 'm process of creating a recovery CD. finger crossed.
but is there any info about the increased music tempo in XBMC Live ?

The same thing happened to me a few times when I was playing with installing ubuntu. I had to boot the Win 7 CD then from the recovery screen enter a command to rebuild the MBR. I'm pretty sure it was fixmbr that I ran but since I'm 100% linux now I can't look it up for you. Being a cheapskate I stopped running Win7 when the free beta was over.
Dobyken Wrote:The same thing happened to me a few times when I was playing with installing ubuntu. I had to boot the Win 7 CD then from the recovery screen enter a command to rebuild the MBR. I'm pretty sure it was fixmbr that I ran but since I'm 100% linux now I can't look it up for you. Being a cheapskate I stopped running Win7 when the free beta was over.

I was able to recover my Win7, in fact XBMC removed the bootmgr and set the system partition to inactive.
i2k92 Wrote:I was able to recover my Win7, in fact XBMC removed the bootmgr and set the system partition to inactive.

I'm unsure if XBMC-Live uses grub (I'm running standard Ubuntu 10.10) but I'm guessing the install would have been preparing to install GRUB bootloader (or whichever bootloader it uses) which gives you the option to boot linux or windows and cancelling the install left you with no bootloader at all. Or worse, the boot partition was actually installed to the USB stick, have you tried booting with the USB stick plugged in?

If you just want to try things out you're probably better off using Virtualbox or similar.

Quote:I also notice that with XBMC Live the audio files (FLAC) are played faster than normal speed. They doesn't sound like chipmunks but it is very noticeable that the tempo is faster than normal. I have no problem with XBMC under Windows. BTW, I played the audio via external USB DAC.
I'm guessing your FLAC audio is recorded at 48khz (as opposed to 44khz which is standard for CDs)? I'd say at some-point the audio is not being re-sampled causing faster playback.
Another solution :

Boot with Windows XP CD and follow the wizard until the "installation partiton choice" screen ( don't make any choise on this screen ).

Then shutdown the computer and restart without the CD, your MBr should be repair.