Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Library Mode Movie Folder Groups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been lurking some and thought I'd finally ask. I've been looking for an answer that there doesn't seem to be a concrete answer to: Can we use XBMC and have it list a Folder Group instead of lumping all the movies together in one list?

Here is my folder Structure:

Movies
-Movie1
--Movie1.ISO
--Movie1.xml/nfo
--folder.jpg
--backdrop.jpg

-Movie2
--Movie2.ISO
--Movie2.xml/nfo
--folder.jpg
--backdrop.jpg

Kids
-KidsMovie1
--KidsMovie1.ISO
--KidsMovie1.xml/nfo
--folder.jpg
--backdrop.jpg

-KidsMovie2
--KidsMovie2.ISO
--KidsMovie2.xml/nfo
--folder.jpg
--backdrop.jpg

Currently, I use MC7 + MediaBrowser to watch my movies. I am particularly fond of how XBMC handles certain features that MC7+MediaBrowser won't (mainly the automatic stretching of 4:3 content...i.e. A lot of Kids Movies).

However, I vastly prefer the organization of my library of MC7+Media Browser. The main thing I like about this is that I have the following Groups/Sources created: Movies (Mapped to the Movies folder), Kids (Mapped to the Kids folder), Anime (Mapped to the Anime folder)

When I launch Media Browser, I am greeted by these three groups...nothing more, nothing less. I can use my remote directional pad to select the one I want, hit OK and it shows me a list of all the movies in that group. I don't get a listing of the Kids movies inter-mixed amongst the adult (normal) movies. This is nice so that when my 4 year old wants to watch a movie, she just goes to the Kids, pushes OK, goes to the movie she wants, pushes OK, and pushes OK on play.

Apparently, it seems, that I cannot do this in quite this fashion in XBMC. From my lurking, it seems that I might be able to do this using media sets, but if I do that, then how do I use that for series that actually have media sets (i.e. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Harry Potter, etc)? My understanding is that I could use:

<movie>
<title>Star Wars Ep 4 - A New Hope</title>
<set>Star Wars</set>
<sorttitle>Star Wars 4</sorttitle>
</movie>

This would link the Star Wars into a Star Wars group...and in Library Mode, it would only list "Star Wars", and when I clicked on that, then there would be the movies in order underneath that. I believe I could use the same concept to organize into my folders:

<movie>
<title>Star Wars Ep 4 - A New Hope</title>
<set>Movies</set>
<sorttitle>Star Wars 4</sorttitle>
</movie>

...but then I would lose the ability to group the Star Wars series together, correct?

One additional way I have read about a way to do it would be to create two or three different profiles and only have one library per profile...i.e., Master Profile=Movies, Kids Profile=Kids, Anime Profile=Anime, and then log into each profile, then only that profiles Movies are shown...if you are logged in as Kids, and want to watch Star Wars, then you would have to change to the Master Profile.

While workable, this would be slightly less than ideal (I don't mind it but for the WAF and KAF, it needs to be SIMPLE). Remember I have to deal with a Wife and Kids using this also, hence the request for something like this (I have no idea if I can do it):

XBMC HOME (In Library Mode)
-Settings
-Shut Down
-Music
-Weather
-Movies
--Anime
---Cowboy Bebop
---Samurai 7
---Gundam Wing
--Kids
---Toy Story
----Toy Story 1
----Toy Story 2
----Toy Story 3
---Ice Age
--Movies
---Star Wars
----Star Wars 1
----Star Wars 2
----Star Wars 3
----Star Wars 4
----Star Wars 5
----Star Wars 6

Sorry for so long, but am trying to be descriptive. Thanks in Advance for any help!
If I am understanding what you are wanting to do, I think you should read up on Profiles on the Wiki. I think it would accomplish what you are looking for and probably more.
I was thinking that smart playlists would be the way to go. I also am switching over from Media Browser to xbmc and smart playlists on the home screen have given me the save functionality that I had before. So, I have the following:

Kids Movies (all the movies come from one parent folder with separate folders for each movie inside it)
Kids TV Shows (parent w/ separate)
Movies (parent w/separate)
TV Shows (parent w/ separate)
etc.

With the smart playlists I have created a smart playlist that only shows the kids tv shows instead of all the tv shows. Works great!
primetime34 Wrote:I was thinking that smart playlists would be the way to go. I also am switching over from Media Browser to xbmc and smart playlists on the home screen have given me the save functionality that I had before. So, I have the following:

Kids Movies (all the movies come from one parent folder with separate folders for each movie inside it)
Kids TV Shows (parent w/ separate)
Movies (parent w/separate)
TV Shows (parent w/ separate)
etc.

With the smart playlists I have created a smart playlist that only shows the kids tv shows instead of all the tv shows. Works great!

hmm...that sounds like it might work...I'll have to look into the smart playlist. If you are coming from Media Browser, you probably understand what I am going through.
Kelvarr Wrote:hmm...that sounds like it might work...I'll have to look into the smart playlist. If you are coming from Media Browser, you probably understand what I am going through.

I have an Acer Aspire Revo but running media browser is sooooo slow that I'm excited to have it working on xbmc. When I finish having it all setup I will be really excited. My biggest problem has been creating blank metadata files for all the movies that are meta-data-less because they aren't really a movie (home movies or old football games for example).