Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] XBMC Live on Gigabyte 880GM-D2H ... Hell ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

After moving from XBOX with XBMC to an HTPC few years ago, i have to move to a new HTPC due to Motherboard death ...

My old setup was :
A8N-sli deluxe
Integrated Audio
AMD64 x2 4200+
Gefroce 8600GT
XBMC 9.11
ATI all in wonder remote

The xbmc setup was really easy on this hardware, just had to make some change in lirc for the remote.

Here is my new setup !

Gigabyte GM880-D2H
Integrated HD4250 with HDMI
Integrated Audio
AMD X3 450
ATI all in wonder remote

1st problem : TV issue ( LG 42LC2R )

i have 2 hdmi port on my TV, number 1 for DVI and number 2 for DTV
With my old setup, the bios was running 800*600 or 1024*768 during boot
With my new setup, the bios is asking the TV ( if i use DVI or HDMI HTPC OUTPUT ) which resolution should be use and the TV is not able to answer on HDMI 1 ( i don't know why ) so the HTPC refuse to boot on HDMI number 1 !!!

I have try to add a Geforce 8600 GT with same result
I have try to use RGB, it's working but the video quality it really poor
No way to force a specific resolution in bios...
The only solution is to use HDMI 2 ( already use for my PS3 wich doen't work on HDMI1... grrrr... )

2nd problem : Video Issue

XBMC Live 9.11 + HD4250 = XBMC can't start after installation ( Linux logon screen )
XBMC Live 10.1 + HD4250 = XBMC start but video perfomance is really bad

After adding a Geforce 8600GT i have good video performance but byebye HDMI port ( and HDMI Audio ... grrrr...)

3rd problem : Analog Sound doesn't work

XBMC Live 9.11 or 10.1 with integrated audi chip ( Realtek ALC892 ) doesn't work ( no sound )
XBMC Live 9.11 or 10.1 with additional Sound Blaster Audigy doesn't work ( not detected / supported )

After reinstalling 10 or 20 times XBMC Live to try different hardware setup i'm a bit tired so if somebody with a similar setup can help me to find a solution to recover a fully operational HTPC i will be greatful and my son too !
OK so i finally fix the sound problem by using XBMC 9.11 and editing the "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf" to add "options snd-hda-intel model=generic" ... it's working now in analog ...

So this mother-board is a very good choice but NOT FOR XBMC Live !

PS : i'll try to contact Gigabyte support for the video boot issue with my HDMI 1