Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does this sound like overheating? Stutter then not turning on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

Having some issues with my Asrock 330.

When I've had it on for a while the video starts to stutter slightly and when i reboot it to rectify the issue I'll get the Asrock splash screen and then it will turn off by itself. If I come back a bit later it boots fine with no stuttering.

This is only a recent issue that occured on Dharma 10(which ran fine for months). I had some trouble upgrading to Live 10.1 which is why i formatted it before installing 10.1.

Has something changed possibly (maybe in the BIOS?) or could this be the first signs of some kind of hardware (fan?) failure. I've opened it up and it seems relatively clean inside(no dust covering fan).

Additionally, when i check the CPU temperature (by hitting Info button on main screen) there is a ? next to temperature.

I've enabled the debugging but am unable to see anything too obvious. CPU seems to be at about 36% when stuttering is happening.
out of interest, is your CPU voltage/speed set at default in the BIOS? My advice - enter BIOS and load the default settings, then try again. You could have an unstable clock speed set.

You may also need to set the GPU memory to 512MB (i had to do this on my ion330 board) in order for VDPAU (hardware decoding) to work without issues.

If you're seeing a "?" next to CPU temp. it may indicate a faulty temperature sensor. As such, if your fan is set to a temperature controlled setting, it might not be working effectively. If you can, set the fan speed to a fixed amount (I stuck mine on 100% and it's still pretty quiet)

Hope this helps!
Check if you can read the temperature in the BIOS, when it starts to stutter, just reboot and check it there.
ollieisamuppet Wrote:out of interest, is your CPU voltage/speed set at default in the BIOS? My advice - enter BIOS and load the default settings, then try again. You could have an unstable clock speed set.

You may also need to set the GPU memory to 512MB (i had to do this on my ion330 board) in order for VDPAU (hardware decoding) to work without issues.

If you're seeing a "?" next to CPU temp. it may indicate a faulty temperature sensor. As such, if your fan is set to a temperature controlled setting, it might not be working effectively. If you can, set the fan speed to a fixed amount (I stuck mine on 100% and it's still pretty quiet)

Hope this helps!

i have a ? for my temperature. it doesnt mean its faulty, just that it doesnt support that sensor.

his issue sounds like overheating but only way to find out is to do what the previous poster says and check the temps. id suggest the bios. not sure why you have to bump the video up to 512mb though.. my ion runs flawless for 1080p bluray with only 256.
what is it with people so eager to contradict everything you say?

Read my words. "It may indicate a faulty sensor"

And,

"You may need to increase the GPU memory" (because in my case, on an ion330 board, hardware decoding didnt work properly until i did.

The guy asked for suggestions, I offered some. I don't claim to be 100% correct.
Thanks for the advice guys. The issue disappeared so I did not try suggestions but has just flared up again.

I'm not sure what exactly what would be considered too hot, but I guess the best thign to do is to compare the temps when it is running normally to when it is running badly.
Just an update:

I cant see the temperature anywhere in the BIOS? Can somewhere advise where I should see this?

When I turned on my box the temperature was 40 degrees C, currently running at 93 degrees after leaving in on for a while I tinker with settings.

I've set the BIOS to default values. My system only has an option to go to 256 memory. I've also set the fan from Auto to Silent(Level 2).

See how we go with those settings.

Would loading 'Performance setup default' and increasing the Fan speed again help at all?