Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best DVD format?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you guys recommend as the best DVD save format if I want to keep all the menus, etc.? ISO? or the full DVD (VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS)

What about if I just want the movie? .mp4? .aviHuh

Thanks. I'm new to this saving game, and wondering what the best format to save them as would be.
You can't really go wrong with ISO if you want to keep the menus, etc.

For just the main feature I usually go with an uncompressed FLV.
I typically save them in the (.MKV) format.

(.ISO) if you want all the menus.

I use the free program Makemkv which saves just the movie so you get no previews and it cuts the file size down without losing quality.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/
Waveknight Wrote:For just the main feature I usually go with an uncompressed FLV.

Surely you mean uncompressed MKV, right?
waldo22 Wrote:Surely you mean uncompressed MKV, right?

Sorry, MKV. Well spotted Smile
I still use dvd decrypter to remove all the stuff i dont need languages / trailers and so on and rip to .vob one single large file no loss of quality, and with the prices of hard drives being so cheap why bother to re encode.Nod
Iso
Any particular reason people like using ISO over Files (Video TS/Audio TS) assuming you want to keep the menu structure?
I use DVD Fab (free version) and rip the Video TS/Audio TS files, it also has a main movie option if you want to ditch the DVD menu screens.
.mkv, 1/3 the size of direct rip bluray but close to the same quality. Nod

menus?, we don't need no stinking menus No

TC Nerd
VOB for ps3 usage
MKV or ISO for WD Live Plus
Anything and everything for XBMC Wink LOL
I do ISO and .mkv. ISO's are easy to rip most programs one or two clicks and done. Then later I will go back and make them mkv's when I have more time.

Basically if you want menu's do ISO format, if you want only the main feature either mkv or mp4 file. One note, Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD will not compress, it is impossible to reencode a file to mkv or mp4 and maintain HD audio formats. Of course this only applies to bluray's
I do ISO files. LIke Jay M said easy to rip and you are done. I don't worry about hard drive space because it is so cheap nowadays.