Kodi Community Forum
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I (/showthread.php?tid=79012)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- ampersand - 2010-08-26

ths61 Wrote:I just got the one from NewEgg (without WiFi and empty mini-PCIE socket). The owner's manual suggests using a 90watt PS or higher.

Bought the (picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit) from mini-box.com.

Tried 2-Patriot 2GB modules, no post, no joy. Looking for alternate memory.

Dammit. Your Telling Me this motherboard aint gonna work with the $90 case/60watt combo i got coming today? Last thing i want to do is spend money on return shipping..fuck

So even though the powersupply is 80watts, because the adapter is only 60 im gonna get 60 max right?http://www.mini-box.com/M350-enclosure-with-picoPSU-80-and-60W-adapter

Cause i might b able to squeeze by with 80 but 60 im guessing no fricken way. Why the f don't they include an 80watt adapter with the 80watt supply?! Furthermore, you can get a 120watt supply with a 60, 80 or 102, why not a 120 and why the hell would you want to use a 60...? http://www.mini-box.com/Power-Supplies-Kits

Also. TRIPKIP bought a 90watt pico supply with a 60watt adapter. So were in the same boat. If anyone could find how many watts the board itself pulls I would feel a whole lot more comfortable.

I would also like to know if i could damage any of the components by testing this out?

- SireFoss - 2010-08-26

This Case, M10-VFD310, is Exactly what I am looking for! Except for the ridiculous price tag. Looks great.
Thanks to @MindTooth for pointing it our on this thread.

The display is not necessary but the slot load and slick design (w/ PicoPSU) is great.

Has anyone seen anything like this under $120?

- ampersand - 2010-08-27

Got it set up...somewhat. Having trouble getting optical out to work. My GPU is 95C idle, and rising...seems way too fricken high. CPU is 45.

- tripkip - 2010-08-27

ampersand Wrote:Got it set up...somewhat. Having trouble getting optical out to work. My GPU is 95C idle, and rising...seems way too fricken high. CPU is 45.

What tool are you using to monitor the temperature and in what conditions was that situation?

- ampersand - 2010-08-27

ssh'd in ran This command:

nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp

Its just sitting on the dashboard...im freaking out.

Was using the xbmcfreak build, reverted to stable xbmclive, got the gpu sensor working again:

106 freaking degrees.

working on getting cpu working.

but i think im gonna turn it off.. it's too scary.

EDIT: Rebooted and went in to the bios. CPU 81 GPU 83. Man I havent even played a video yet...

- magnetik - 2010-08-27

ampersand Wrote:My GPU is 95C idle,

Yow! That does seem uber high!

- ampersand - 2010-08-27

Ya, After 5 hours of messing with it. My dream of a Fanless setup is crushed.

I'm Sending It Back.

- thebrink - 2010-08-27

ugh, this is turning into a nightmare. I got the ISK300-65 expecting to use with with an atom cpu (this chip is only supposed to draw 15W TDP) and yet it requires a 90W? UGH. Yeah I get it, the board design probably @#!ks it up. I'm guessing I'll keep the case and replace the 60W.

but even worse I bouth the KVR1333D3S9/2g that was "guaranteed" to work - oh and I can confirm doubly now that it DOES NOT.

I've ordered that also infamous KVR 1GB stick from Newegg, hoping for some better luck, who knows, maybe I'll luck out with the 60W psu - I don't trust what the manual says most of the time anyhow.

- magnetik - 2010-08-27

I think the Shuttle XS35 is looking pretty good right about now... surprised ASUS would release a mobo that is so fussy about memory requirements...

- ampersand - 2010-08-27

thebrink Wrote:ugh, this is turning into a nightmare. I got the ISK300-65 expecting to use with with an atom cpu (this chip is only supposed to draw 15W TDP) and yet it requires a 90W? UGH. Yeah I get it, the board design probably @#!ks it up. I'm guessing I'll keep the case and replace the 60W.

but even worse I bouth the KVR1333D3S9/2g that was "guaranteed" to work - oh and I can confirm doubly now that it DOES NOT.

I've ordered that also infamous KVR 1GB stick from Newegg, hoping for some better luck, who knows, maybe I'll luck out with the 60W psu - I don't trust what the manual says most of the time anyhow.

I had no trouble with the 60w power supply. The heat was unbearable tho.

- ths61 - 2010-08-27

ampersand Wrote:I had no trouble with the 60w power supply. The heat was unbearable tho.

Ampersand,

What OS did you install, or did you just get to the bios menus?

Also, what memory did you use to get it working?

Also, were you using DVI or HDMI? How did it look?

Thanks,
Tim

- partimers - 2010-08-27

ampersand Wrote:Ya, After 5 hours of messing with it. My dream of a Fanless setup is crushed.

I'm Sending It Back.

Oh my! ... heartbreaking news. Won't it be this time for our fanless holy grail?

- thebrink - 2010-08-27

I'm not entirely surprised that it requires some cooling other than the heatsink. That said ampersand, I think motherboard measurements for heat are somewhat notorious for being inaccurate. The only real way to be sure is install your own probe.

- ampersand - 2010-08-27

ths61 Wrote:Ampersand,

What OS did you install, or did you just get to the bios menus?

Also, what memory did you use to get it working?

Also, were you using DVI or HDMI? How did it look?

Thanks,
Tim

XBMC LIVE. Tried XBMCfreak first, could not get the sound working, reverted to xbmc live stable. Sound et. all worked, but was pushing 106 C. This was via HDMI, idle, never got a chance to run a video clip, prolly would have caught fire.. Decided not worth it, RMA'ing everything, prolly gonna get a pre built sys. Honestly this motherboard may be able to go fanless....not in a M350 tho.

- highbury - 2010-08-27

I asked to Asus a date for DELUXE, no answer yet... asked for HDMI too, if it's 1.3 or 1.4 (needed for 3D movies), no answer yet... so I asked to Nvidia and... the technical support answered they can only support customers, someone who has purchased a Nvidia product... but my question is not so difficult... HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? They should write it in specs, who writes only USB, without 1.1 or 2.0 or 3.0?

I don't know so much about this, but I think that, in order to see, in the future, 3D blu-ray movies, I must have a HDMI 1.4 as out of the video card, an amplifier that can handle HDMI 1.4 and an HDMI 1.4 TV... isn't it?

Someone can tell me about HDMI of ASUS AT5IONT-I? Or if something is wrong in my reasoning.

Thanks a lot to all!