Kodi Community Forum
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=183747)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-22

@uNiversal,
Duuuuuuuudeeeeeeee!!!
Why the hostility??!!!
I mean...DDDDDDDUUUUUUUDDDEEE!!!!

(2014-01-22, 14:46)teeedubb Wrote: VNC or SSH. Once you've found the location of the files in xbmc what do you do with them?

Interact with it as you would with any other file...In most cases this happens when I am setting up a custom set and I want to include a particular film. In that case I need to edit the nfo file. I just open a text editor and have at it. The movie (.mkv), nfo file (.nfo) and poster image (folder.jpg|png) are inside a folder, named the same as the movie and nfo file...
So, you see? 8x 16x 4x 1TB may not be AS CRAZY as it looks...

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - un1versal - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-22, 14:47)jacintech.fire Wrote: Duuuuuuuudeeeeeeee!!!
Why the hostility??!!!
I mean...DDDDDDDUUUUUUUDDDEEE!!!!

If any hostility from me, its because of you.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words.

@uNiversal,
*uNiversal hyperventilates*
Breathe, Dude. Breathe...
*uNiversal's face turns red, his eyes roll up; he flops to the ground*
WE ARE LOSING HIM!!!
GIVE ME 5mg of vallium, STAT!!!

(2014-01-22, 14:37)prawnee Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 14:28)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 14:22)teeedubb Wrote: Ctrl + f in a file browser, then type in what you want to find. Easier than querying databases, looking at variables or sorting through thousands of titles (what do you think Ctrl + f does?).

You are STILL dealing with THOUSANDS upon THOUDANDS of folders...in addition, each partition contains root level folders a, b, c...z. It's click, click and I am there. Since I am already looking at my library on XBMC, it's just right-click, movie information...and viola...

And you're still dealing with thousands of folders, just spread across multiple disks, partitions and root levels. I dunno I'd still rather recover then go through re-encoding media.

Not to be a stickler, but at any ONE time I am dealing with at most 15 entries. Since I know EXACTLY where each movie is, the working folder [a-z] will only house movies indexed in that level...
Remember, by the time I open the file browser (or start menu, run on windows 7), I have the full path to that media file...

Clearly not correct meds... If you had any Medical knowledge you would inject yourself with the sedatives... and behave stop embarrassing yourself.

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - Milhouse - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-22, 14:47)jacintech.fire Wrote: Interact with it as you would with any other file...In most cases this happens when I am setting up a custom set and I want to include a particular film. In that case I need to edit the nfo file. I just open a text editor and have at it. The movie (.mkv), nfo file (.nfo) and poster image (folder.jpg|png) are inside a folder, named the same as the movie and nfo file...

Or you could just use a tool designed for precisely that kind of thing so you don't need to find the underlying media/meta-data files or hand-edit XML - there's plenty around, and they generally work very well. The one I use (Ember) masks the file location details from you, and you search it's database whereupon it handles the file updates for you. Why make this so much harder than it needs to be?

(2014-01-22, 14:47)jacintech.fire Wrote: So, you see? 8x 16x 4x 1TB may not be AS CRAZY as it looks...

Yes, yes it really is.

(2014-01-22, 15:13)uNiversal Wrote: Clearly not correct meds... If you had any Medical knowledge you would inject yourself with the sedatives... and behave stop embarrassing yourself.

@uNiversal,
"...Benzodiazepines are effective in reducing stress that may provoke hyperventilation syndrome (HVS) and are thought to reset the central nervous system (CNS) response to a variety of “panicogens.” Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have been reported to reduce the frequency and the severity of episodes of hyperventilation..."

(2014-01-22, 15:13)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 14:47)jacintech.fire Wrote: Interact with it as you would with any other file...In most cases this happens when I am setting up a custom set and I want to include a particular film. In that case I need to edit the nfo file. I just open a text editor and have at it. The movie (.mkv), nfo file (.nfo) and poster image (folder.jpg|png) are inside a folder, named the same as the movie and nfo file...

Or you could just use a tool designed for precisely that kind of thing so you don't need to find the underlying media/meta-data files or hand-edit XML - there's plenty around, and they generally work very well. The one I use (Ember) masks the file location details from you, and you search it's database whereupon it handles the file updates for you. Why make this so much harder than it needs to be?

(2014-01-22, 14:47)jacintech.fire Wrote: So, you see? 8x 16x 4x 1TB may not be AS CRAZY as it looks...

Yes, yes it really is.

What's wrong with a text editor. I once wrote an AES implementation on textpad :-)

...and enlighten me, how EXACTLY is this crazy? Please list a couple of nightmare scenarios that await me in some distant future...Take your time, I will wait...

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - T800 - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-22, 14:44)jacintech.fire Wrote: @teeedubb
Ctrl + f stands for control, find. In this case, the local operating system is queying the SMB partition (Exported volume) across the network, it will have to interate through everything until it finds what you are looking for (i. e. spend CPU cycles).
right-click, Movie information on the other hand, queries a MYSQL database (in miliseconds) and returns a result before the window is drawn...
click, open file browser, type movie location takes about a second (Carpal tunnel syndrome, you see)...
You tell me, which is more optimal?...Take your time...

I have 3000 movies on one pooled volume of 13 disks. If I include all attached data it's about 30000 files.
On a networked computer or a file browser on my phone via SMB I can type a search in and have the result right in front of me within 5 seconds ready to manipulate in anyway I like.

Optimal..I don't know but it works well and don't have any of the nightmare seem to have and XBMC luuurrves it!

(2014-01-22, 15:18)jacintech.fire Wrote: ...and enlighten me, how EXACTLY is this crazy? Please list a couple of nightmare scenarios that await me in some distant future...Take your time, I will wait...

What we call hell, you seem to call home (not a compliment). Your nightmare is with you now imo.

(2014-01-22, 15:22)T800 Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 14:44)jacintech.fire Wrote: @teeedubb
Ctrl + f stands for control, find. In this case, the local operating system is queying the SMB partition (Exported volume) across the network, it will have to interate through everything until it finds what you are looking for (i. e. spend CPU cycles).
right-click, Movie information on the other hand, queries a MYSQL database (in miliseconds) and returns a result before the window is drawn...
click, open file browser, type movie location takes about a second (Carpal tunnel syndrome, you see)...
You tell me, which is more optimal?...Take your time...

I have 3000 movies on one pooled volume of 13 disks. If I include all attached data it's about 30000 files.
On a networked computer or a file browser on my phone via SMB I can type a search in and have the result right in front of me within 5 seconds ready to manipulate in anyway I like.

Optimal..I don't know but it works well and don't have any of the nightmare seem to have and XBMC luuurrves it!

(2014-01-22, 15:18)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 15:13)uNiversal Wrote: Clearly not correct meds... If you had any Medical knowledge you would inject yourself with the sedatives... and behave stop embarrassing yourself.

@uNiversal,
"...Benzodiazepines are effective in reducing stress that may provoke hyperventilation syndrome (HVS) and are thought to reset the central nervous system (CNS) response to a variety of “panicogens.” Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have been reported to reduce the frequency and the severity of episodes of hyperventilation..."

(2014-01-22, 15:13)MilhouseVH Wrote: Or you could just use a tool designed for precisely that kind of thing so you don't need to find the underlying media/meta-data files or hand-edit XML - there's plenty around, and they generally work very well. The one I use (Ember) masks the file location details from you, and you search it's database whereupon it handles the file updates for you. Why make this so much harder than it needs to be?

Ok. Please list a couple of these "nightmares" you think I am having...'cos I ain't seeing it, bro.
Other than the underlying files and folders (which is a product of the current files, directory mechanism within XBMC) and a large sources.xml (which I see only when I add a new source) I don't realy spend much time working on the JBOD array itself...

Yes, yes it really is.

What's wrong with a text editor. I once wrote an AES implementation on textpad :-)

...and enlighten me, how EXACTLY is this crazy? Please list a couple of nightmare scenarios that await me in some distant future...Take your time, I will wait...

What we call hell, you seem to call home (not a compliment). Your nightmare is with you now imo.
Con you please describe with examples as it relates to XBMC, the "hell" or "nightmare" you believe I am experiencing...

(2014-01-22, 15:18)jacintech.fire Wrote: @uNiversal,

Wow impressive... You can copy and paste!

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/807277-medication

Anyone...?
It's ok, I'll wait...

(2014-01-22, 15:30)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 15:18)jacintech.fire Wrote: @uNiversal,

Wow impressive... You can copy and paste!

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/807277-medication

That is what the quotation marks (" ") indicates :-)

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - prawnee - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-22, 15:27)jacintech.fire Wrote: Con you please describe with examples as it relates to XBMC, the "hell" or "nightmare" you believe I am experiencing...

Not being able to watch a thing on XBMC, because I've spent all my time fiddling with a ludicrous system would be my nightmare.

BTW what were the benefits of this again?

(2014-01-22, 15:18)jacintech.fire Wrote: ...and enlighten me, how EXACTLY is this crazy? Please list a couple of nightmare scenarios that await me in some distant future...Take your time, I will wait...

You're not managing your resources effectively, and you're adding masses of overhead for no benefit. You're in denial that disks fail, as you are about database corruption. As you've come to realise, a bit late I might add, accessing your media scattered across 1024 independent partitions is a major headache. Your lack of redundancy (and your attitude towards it) is frankly breathtaking (no doubt born out of naivety).

There are a multitude of volume management options available to you that would have meant you didn't need to create this monumental embarrassment, and could have avoided all the problems you have created for yourself. Nobody in their right mind, with any technical competency or common sense, would have created such a system as you now have.

Many of us work in environments with more storage than yours, and with more files than yours, and so can probably speak with some authority when they say your setup is a complete joke (a bad one).

https://jacintech.fire.com

(2014-01-22, 15:36)MilhouseVH Wrote:

You're not managing your resources effectively, and you're adding masses of overhead for no benefit. You're in denial that disks fail, as you are about database corruption. As you've come to realise, a bit late I might add, accessing your media scattered across 1024 independent partitions is a major headache. Your lack of redundancy (and your attitude towards it) is frankly breathtaking (no doubt born out of naivety).

There are a multitude of volume management options available to you that would have meant you didn't need to create this monumental embarrassment, and could have avoided all the problems you have created for yourself. Nobody in their right mind, with any technical competency or common sense, would have created such a system as you now have.

Ok. Give an example in which this setup (as it applies to XBMC) is a nightmare...

Many of us work in environments with more storage than yours, and with more files than yours, and so can probably speak with some authority when they say your setup is a complete joke (a bad one).

(2014-01-22, 15:27)jacintech.fire Wrote: Con you please describe with examples as it relates to XBMC, the "hell" or "nightmare" you believe I am experiencing...

It seems that you've created your setup just so you don't have to search for a file. I mean, really? Or is that some sort of backward justification for creating such a horror show?

It's difficult for us to describe what you might consider to be "hell" when you seem to be appalled by the concept of searching for a file.