Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=43115)

- wally007 - 2009-09-15

beatbreaker Wrote:I can't say about the skin but if you've never installed Linux or MythTV before, then getting a skin to work might be the least of your problems. There's a steep learning curve on everything, aesthetics might have to take a back seat for a bit. I've done it myself recently but I needed lots of patience, It's paid off in the end though.

haha i get it. I found some Linux distros that come with MythTV backend pre-configured so i figured it wouldnt be too bad. I've got TV tuner cards that are well supported ( Hauppauge 150 and 250). So which part is clusterf..k ? Setting up backend of MythTV or this front end script ?

When i said i never installed linux its not because i dont know some command line stuff. I just didnt need it when Windows and for past 6 years MAC did everything i wanted/needed.

- Novin - 2009-09-15

Novin Wrote:Hello

Just tried using MythBox SVN 1260 against mythtv 0.22.0~trunk21556-0ubuntu3 but it fails with "unsupported protocol 48". Does MythBox support 44 at the most (from what I read in the ChangeLog)?

Thanks..

Created an issue about this: http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=58

blank screen/xbmc lockup on initial run of script - adamhaeder - 2009-09-16

Hello,
I have:
xbmc 9.04.1 r20672 (Compiled: Jun 2 2009)
XP Pro SP3 build 2600
mythbox-svn-1260

When I installed xbmc, I chose to have it store all application settings in C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata instead of c:\documents and settings\etc

When I try to run mythbox from with xbmc, i get the error Settings Error: Recording Directory c:\change\me does not exist. You can see a video of this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUz07QMQWs

And xbmc locks up until I kill the process. I left it like this for 8 hours, it never came out of it

But I don't have the option to get into a configuration area where I can set this directory. There is no settings.xml file created, and I don't know where to create one or what format it should be in.

Thanks for any help anyone can give

- Novin - 2009-09-16

Novin Wrote:Created an issue about this: http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=58

There already was a open issue for this, http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=56. This issue also now contains a patch (very unofficial by myself) to fix it.

- hamd01 - 2009-09-16

I'm very new to XBMC, and was a little put off that it didnt have PVR capability..... then I found this thread!! Smile

I hope this doesnt sound stupid, but could I just clarify my understanding of how Myth/xbmc integrate:

XBMC can be installed a PC1
Myth TV can be installed on PC2, along with a TV tuner card

PC1 can then access the content, guide, schedule, records etc of the mythtv box (PC2)

Is that correct?

Could I also just clarify, if the above is true, what sort of responce times do you get from an IR remote? Bearing in mind my wife will be using it, I dont want complaints from her!! Is channel skipping fast?

Many thanks for all the brilliant work on this project.

- Novin - 2009-09-16

Wow, I got it working! Got stumped first on the fact that I have to share the recordings folder from my mythtv-backend to the XBMC computer. This could be mentioned more clearly, I thought the recordings folder setting in MythBox was used for recording Live TV from MythBox to the XBMC-computers harddrive.

Anyways, it doesn't work very well, I can only watch a couple of seconds of TV. It buffers to 4096 kB then I can see a couple of seconds then XBMC exits/crashes. There isn't any cache settings left in XBMC according to what I read for example here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50816

Even so, I doubt that is the problem. How come it is so slow? If I run mythfrontend from the same machine it works fine.

- wally007 - 2009-09-17

Novin Wrote:Wow, I got it working! Got stumped first on the fact that I have to share the recordings folder from my mythtv-backend to the XBMC computer. This could be mentioned more clearly, I thought the recordings folder setting in MythBox was used for recording Live TV from MythBox to the XBMC-computers harddrive.

Anyways, it doesn't work very well, I can only watch a couple of seconds of TV. It buffers to 4096 kB then I can see a couple of seconds then XBMC exits/crashes. There isn't any cache settings left in XBMC according to what I read for example here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50816

Even so, I doubt that is the problem. How come it is so slow? If I run mythfrontend from the same machine it works fine.

how are you connected to your MythTV box ?

I'm just asking since i'd like have a go at it but not if its anything like you describe.

- Novin - 2009-09-17

wally007 Wrote:how are you connected to your MythTV box ?

I'm just asking since i'd like have a go at it but not if its anything like you describe.

XBMC and Myth-backend are in the same 100Mbit switch. If I do a transfer-test with iperf I get 98-99.5Mbit in both directions. No problem there...

error running the script of mythbox in XMBC - firefalcon - 2009-09-17

I like the combination of XBMC and MythTV... This is an excellent combination!

However, I run into some error running the script of mythbox in XMBC.

I am using a XBMC_for_Windows-9.04.1-repack2.exe install on Windows XP Prof on IBM T43.
I downloaded mythbox-svn-1260.tar.gz to intall. Have unziped the file and put into the right directory.

Then I come into XBMC, script, and saw the mythbox icon; click on it and I got the following:
1) a dialog box shows that:
Error trying to initialize logger
No section: 'formatter_consoleformatter\r\x00\n\x00[handlers]'

I understand this may come from the fact that mythbox doesn't have log support for windows;
The '\r\x00...' stuff... is this the problem of Unix/DOS string format?

And the progress bar goes to the middle, and halt,
2) a error box titled "Script'
Error: Python script failed:
special://home/scripts/MythBox/default.py

I guess this is the default.py script in the script directory. However, there is no more message avaiable. So I really don't know what is the error there. I searched internet but didn't got much thing.

Could you kindly let me know how can I correct this and purceed with installation. I'd love to use XBMC/MythBox as the frontend of my HTPC.
Thanks very much,

Clark

Glad this exists - Morder - 2009-09-24

Couple quick questions.

Where is the settings in the skin to change the colors of the program guide?

Also is it possible to somehow highlight shows that will be recorded?

- pinthenet - 2009-09-25

firefalcon, I'm experiencing the same problems as you since yesterday, but at the start of the week MythBox 1260 worked with XBMC 9.04.1
Yesterday I was trying out some other plugins and I've been running the xbmcupdater. In the end, bacuse of other issues, I removed and reinstalled xbmc 9.04 and now I get the same errors as you with MythBox.

The only difference between the new install and the previous is that I installed it in 'portable' mode.

John

- germanus4711 - 2009-09-26

The error

Error Catchall
Exception:argument 1 must be unicode or str
Function: <function onlnit at 0xa12f524>

can be resolved quickly:

You can fix that by adding a str() around the last parameter in livetv.py line 314 and do the same in line 341.

Myth protocol - germanus4711 - 2009-09-26

Novin Wrote:Hello

Just tried using MythBox SVN 1260 against mythtv 0.22.0~trunk21556-0ubuntu3 but it fails with "unsupported protocol 48". Does MythBox support 44 at the most (from what I read in the ChangeLog)?

Thanks..

I guess 1260 does support up to 45 of sorts (note the TODO) :-) , reading mythprotocol.py.

Best is you add some protocol functionality in that file. A good start for the functionality (protocol support) is http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_Protocol

It would be interesting to know if you get a funny message in the mythbackend.log

Happy coding!

- pinthenet - 2009-09-26

firefalcon Wrote:Then I come into XBMC, script, and saw the mythbox icon; click on it and I got the following:
1) a dialog box shows that:
Error trying to initialize logger
No section: 'formatter_consoleformatter\r\x00\n\x00[handlers]'

Clark

I found the casue of the problem. The mythbox_win32_log.ini file was saved with CrLf line-ending (\r\n) instead of linefeed only. I modified the file and now everything works again (I used an editor that supports switching between DOS & Liux line endings).
I think it was casued by the zip extractors I was using (Winzip & IZarc)

- fiveisalive - 2009-10-02

Hi there,

I'm trying to debug a problem with mythbox-svn-1260, I'm using XBMC 9.04 on Fedora 11 (rpm from fedorajunkies: XBMC-9.04.1-1.fc11.x86_64). It fails when I attempt to start the plugin with the message:
Code:
this is MySQLdb version (1, 2, 2, 'final', 0), but _mysql is version (1, 2, 3, 'beta', 2)

Fedora 11 ships with MySQL-python 1.2.3 but it appears that mythbox ships with a precompiled version. What's odd is that it obviously reading the mythbox version of the python module, and even appears to be loading the pre-compiled _mysql.so (see the full log below). For some reason it tries to read the distro version rather than your shipped version.

Any workarounds/insights welcome. (I did try copying over the distribution version of the mysql python module, but that caused mythbox to crash as soon as tried to run "Testing").

Code:
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494858752   DEBUG: RegisterExtensionLib, adding _bisect.so (0x7fafc887a730)
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494858752   DEBUG: xbp_dlsym - load symbol init_bisect
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494068224   DEBUG: xbp_dlopen loading python lib /home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/linux64/_mysql.so. flags: 2
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494068224   DEBUG: Loading: /home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/linux64/_mysql.so
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493584896   DEBUG: RegisterExtensionLib, adding _mysql.so (0x7fafc87aa8f0)
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493584896   DEBUG: xbp_dlsym - load symbol init_mysql
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493482496  NOTICE: ERROR | mythtv.core | default.py | MainThread | Line 162 | Initializing stage 2
                             Traceback (most recent call last):
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/default.py", line 152, in ?
                                 import mythtv
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/src/mythtv.py", line 26, in ?
                                 import mythdb
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/src/mythdb.py", line 22, in ?
                                 import MySQLdb
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 22, in ?
                                 raise ImportError, "this is MySQLdb version %s, but _mysql is version %r" %\
                             ImportError: this is MySQLdb version (1, 2, 2, 'final', 0), but _mysql is version (1, 2, 3, 'beta', 2)