Kodi Community Forum
Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Information Providers (scrapers) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=147)
+----- Forum: Music Scrapers (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=303)
+----- Thread: Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists (/showthread.php?tid=132623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - trolly - 2013-02-14

I ran into the same problem as coopsta133 (post #233)

Unable to parse web site
CMusicInfoScraper start, auto delete: false

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - tymmy - 2013-02-15

Today I noticed that I can not get artist Bio's anymore. I have it set to last fm.in the Universal scrapper. If I also tried the last fm scrapper same problem. My guess right now is last.fm has stopped this. Both were working fine yesterday. I was doing some manual refreshing on some artists for new artwork and noticed it was not getting the info and would wipe out bio info if it already had some. Anybody else?

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-02-15

Confirmed. Last.fm doesn't seem to provide Bio on their API anymore, or at least to XBMC.
They provide very short summary - 1 sentence or thereabout (what the scraper didn't fetch so you don't see it).

I am happy to see this and will ditch last.fm completely. Now you guys will have any other chance than contribution to community maintained databases.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - izzatzo - 2013-02-16

Last.fm posted this Wednesday:

"Changes to method artist.getinfo 14/02/13
As of Thursday 14th February the content section of the wiki in the artist.getinfo API method will be truncated to 300 characters with a link back to the artist’s biography page on Last.fm placed at the end. This is in response to concerns about the correct attribution of this data.

This change covers all API accounts, regardless of their license agreement."

300 characters is not even an intro. It seems they can no longer rely on the quality of their bio data. Pictures are ok. This goes for any public or community database.

I reluctantly upgraded to Frodo for the sake of future compatibility and had to rework my music db. I got stuck halfway updating artist bios (I finished A-L). I don't mind contributing to a community db but surely a development team could have written a script to populate that db from working APIs instead of relying on donors piecemeal. PBS gets funds from donors but still uses commercial assets.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - zag - 2013-02-16

(2013-02-16, 01:15)izzatzo Wrote: I reluctantly upgraded to Frodo for the sake of future compatibility and had to rework my music db. I got stuck halfway updating artist bios (I finished A-L). I don't mind contributing to a community db but surely a development team could have written a script to populate that db from working APIs instead of relying on donors piecemeal. PBS gets funds from donors but still uses commercial assets.

Basically NO, if it was all automated then no one would bother singing up to the sites.

User contributable means exactly that. We encourage a large base of users to enter data and keep it up-to-date. That includes Biography, Artwork and Reviews.

www.theaudiodb.com has NO rules about biography length and works with multiple languages. The more people fill it out, the better the database will become. Just as a guide people have already contributed 100,000 edits.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - thebooge - 2013-02-16

New XBMC user with some questions about the music scrapers.

I have imported my whole movie, television and music collections.

I used theRenamer for my video files, and everything worked GREAT!

For my music collection, I have used a mix of MusicBrainz Picard and Mp3tag to get my tags all cleaned up. I have organized the files on my drive as:

<Artist>\<Album>\<disc#> <track#> title.mp3

Ex: Bad Religion\Generator\1 1 Generator.mp3

For scraping, I have used the Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper, using the defaults and then tweaking them to try other databases.

Quite a few of my artists never seem to update. Artists such as Arc Angels, Big Sugar, Blue Rodeo, Bush, Chet Baker (to name a few) do not get picked up by the scraper.

Any suggestions? I have tried cleaning, removing/readding sources, rescanning, etc.

Not sure about how to collect or submit log files, but if these are required, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - zag - 2013-02-16

(2013-02-16, 18:58)thebooge Wrote: Any suggestions? I have tried cleaning, removing/readding sources, rescanning, etc.

Yes, add them to www.theaudiodb.com with details and artwork.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-02-17

(2013-02-16, 01:15)izzatzo Wrote: Last.fm posted this Wednesday:

"Changes to method artist.getinfo 14/02/13
As of Thursday 14th February the content section of the wiki in the artist.getinfo API method will be truncated to 300 characters with a link back to the artist’s biography page on Last.fm placed at the end. This is in response to concerns about the correct attribution of this data.

This change covers all API accounts, regardless of their license agreement."

Yep:
http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/2201974

...enough is enough. Good bye last.fm, R.I.P.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - izzatzo - 2013-02-17

Quote:Basically NO, if it was all automated then no one would bother singing up to the sites.

User contributable means exactly that. We encourage a large base of users to enter data and keep it up-to-date. That includes Biography, Artwork and Reviews.

www.theaudiodb.com has NO rules about biography length and works with multiple languages. The more people fill it out, the better the database will become. Just as a guide people have already contributed 100,000 edits.

Of course, it's not all robots yet. There's always new artists, new facts, new pictures. I just was looking at some of the 'L' artists. Larry Carlton, Laura Nyro, Ledisi, Lee Morgan, Lee Ritenour, Lena Horne, etc. that did not download biographies. These are multi platinum artists which should represent the base info on any db. I liked last.fm biographies because they usually covered recognized talent and were also just about the right length, 200 - 500 words, neither stingy nor overly verbose.

Freedb, the original audio source, has become the myspace of audio dbs. Rovi, the parent of allmusic.com data services is big business. Most began the same way, culling internet GPU sources. I was just wondering why the Audiodb board didn't swipe some data the same way.

Maybe when Audiodb originates a novel idea, scrobbling, etc. and bandwidth becomes an issue they'll look for a money interest. Then we'll ask, "why didn't we swipe the data from Audiodb.

I'll upload some fanart, anyway.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - User 99988 - 2013-02-18

(2013-02-14, 07:17)trolly Wrote: I ran into the same problem as coopsta133 (post #233)

Unable to parse web site
CMusicInfoScraper start, auto delete: false

I'm seeing this issue too, randomly and for always different artists. The follow-ups of post #76 suggest that this is because of XBMC's own scraping speed. I've checked the advancedsettings.xml wiki page but couldn't see any way to slow XBMC down a little.

I can't think of any way to fix this without manually going through the artists and pressing "i" and selecting the first search result (as, in my case, the first one is always the right one). This post by olympia seems to second that.

Edit: I just thought about setting a bandwidth limit in the system menu. Maybe this slows down the whole scraping process enough to not overload the scraped site(s)? I will try this as soon as I can - unless someone tells me I'm completely on the wrong track Huh

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - cw-kid - 2013-02-19

Hello

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just did my first scan with the Universal Artists scraper. There were some images missing, I then looked at the settings of the scraper and set some fallbacks and enabled Last.fm for images. Now if I right click an Artist and select Artist info on some of them it now finds an image for them.

However if I query all artists it doesnt seem to add any new data, only works if I click the artists with missing info one by one and refresh them.

Any ways to speed this process up rather than manually clicking on each artist?

Many thanks

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - User 99988 - 2013-02-19

(2013-02-19, 02:30)cw-kid Wrote: Hello

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just did my first scan with the Universal Artists scraper. There were some images missing, I then looked at the settings of the scraper and set some fallbacks and enabled Last.fm for images. Now if I right click an Artist and select Artist info on some of them it now finds an image for them.

However if I query all artists it doesnt seem to add any new data, only works if I click the artists with missing info one by one and refresh them.

Any ways to speed this process up rather than manually clicking on each artist?

Many thanks

Check the link in my last post. It doesn't seem to be possible without emptying the library and rescraping - which might leave you with "empty" artists again, at least if you have the same problem as trolly and me.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - robertomar - 2013-02-19

Hello everybody, it's my first post here.
Thank you very much for the fantastic scraper and the hard job to support it daily.

Artist slideshow script still downloads complete music artist bio from last.fm while listening music, I suppose it uses another method to do this, would it be possible to implement the same method for this scraper to do this and not to remove this option from the scraper's features? It would be nice, since last.fm is the best music database on line, and theaudiodb.com is quite incomplete in my opinion.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-02-19

(2013-02-19, 17:47)robertomar Wrote: Artist slideshow script still downloads complete music artist bio from last.fm
Odds are high it scrapes the site, rather than using the API.

(2013-02-19, 17:47)robertomar Wrote: theaudiodb.com is quite incomplete in my opinion.
May I ask you a question? How many artists did you add already?

(2013-02-19, 17:47)robertomar Wrote: ...last.fm is the best music database on line...
in fact it is very very far from this

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - cw-kid - 2013-02-19

I setup a MySql Database for XBMC on my Windows Home Server. Where are the music related images and data stored? In the database ? Or locally somewhere on the clients? Its not adding any new files in to my music folders on the server which is good.

Also if for example an Artist has a missing fanart and I find one on Google and download it, where should it be saved? so multiple XBMC clients get the new artwork? Using the option Get Fanart you can use the browse button to add in your own images, but I am unsure what really happens and what is the proper way to handle it.

Many thanks