Kodi Community Forum
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=183747)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-22

Native Object-Based Storage Support  for XBMC
This a new thread that I hope will be used by those interested to learn more about the idea of Native Support for Object-Based Storage for XBMC.
Here is a short description of Object Based Storage from wikipedia to get things started...

"...Object storage (also known as object-based storage ) is a storage architecture that manages data as objects, as opposed to other storage architectures like file systems which manages data as a file hierarchy and block storage which manages data as blocks within sectors and tracks. Each object typically includes the data itself, a variable amount of metadata, and a globally unique identifier. 

Object storage can be implemented at multiple levels, including the device level (object storage device), the system level, and the interface level. In each case, object storage seeks to enable capabilities not addressed by other storage architectures, like interfaces that can be directly programmable by the application, a namespace that can span multiple instances of physical hardware, and data management functions like data replication and data distribution at object-level granularity..."

Questions, ideas and general comments are welcome, as they will become part of the official Feature Request Submission..

RE: URGENT: Object Store 512TB Array - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-22, 19:15)Kib Wrote: I moved it to the general discussion forum from the support forum.

Yes. I saw that, thank you.

I created a new thread with a more clear scope in mind in the support forum. Can you tell me is that is the correct place for it.

Thank you kindly

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-22

The simplest analogy for what an OBJS (Object Storage, for simplicity) is, within the context of XBMC would be a central MYSQL (or any other relational database).

In the current context, the MYSQL database is the central repository of your library metadata (i.e Media name, location, type, etc, etc, etc); which each client "synched" to that database, which it uses to populate your library listing on each client. When you select a particular media, XBMC uses the metadata information to locate the media file somewhere in your storage repository (local hard drive, network share, etc).

An Object-Based Storage model, on the other hand, would be akin to the MYSQL database containing both the content (similar to a binary blob), as well as the metadata (which can be either user defined or application defined) into a single container (i.e. the storage solution is also your content manager).

Further, MOST OBJS implementations unclude a mechanism for redundancy (akin to breaking a glass into shards, copying the shards and dispersing these copies far and wide so that if a shards is unavailable in onenlocation, a second copy can be quickly retrieved) and replication (among other things) baked right in. In addition, such implementation can be "distributed" across multiple server and geographical locations and they are infinitely scalable to the GB, TB, PT, or ExB level without loss of performance...

Because you interact with the OBJS with an API binding, an implementation could levegage existing APIs to enhance the over-laying application (i. e. implementing Strong encryption to further safeguard the data, implementing additional protocols for data dispersion...the sky is the limit)...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - splendid - 2014-01-22

Not again!!!!

(2014-01-22, 20:34)splendid Wrote: Not again!!!!

With all due respect, this thread is not for you, so kindly move along...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - davilla - 2014-01-22

I see lots of buzz words begin tossed about and little real world source code. Is this a thought experiment ?

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - althekiller - 2014-01-22

Agile paradigm flux!

(2014-01-22, 19:15)Kib Wrote: I moved it to the general discussion forum from the support forum.

Any reason why the two threads were merged...?

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Kib - 2014-01-22

No.

(2014-01-22, 23:49)davilla Wrote: I see lots of buzz words begin tossed about and little real world source code. Is this a thought experiment ?

I was hoping the XBMC team would take the lead...or at the very least indicate with Object Store model would be preferred (openStack, ZFS, etc.)...
I am experimenting with openStack, but I wanted to submit a proper Feature Request before going any further...

(2014-01-22, 23:57)Kib Wrote: No.

Wouldn't be a good idea to start this fresh and focused, without all the clutter of the earlier thread...?

Re: RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Martijn - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-22, 23:58)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 23:49)davilla Wrote: I see lots of buzz words begin tossed about and little real world source code. Is this a thought experiment ?

I was hoping the XBMC team would take the lead...or at the very least indicate with Object Store model would be preferred (openStack, ZFS, etc.)...
I am experimenting with openStack, but I wanted to submit a proper Feature Request before going any further...

You submit what you want but no one one the team will likely show any interest. So all the initiative and code need to come from your side

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-23, 00:00)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 23:58)jacintech.fire Wrote:

You submit what you want but no one one the team will likely show any interest. So all the initiative and code need to come from your side

Do you speak for the Team? and if so, then why go to the trouble...?

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Martijn - 2014-01-23

You want it, you code it. That's how opensource works

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-23, 00:05)Martijn Wrote: You want it, you code it. That's how opensource works

Fair enough, thanks...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - nickr - 2014-01-23

@jacintech.fire

Can you show any implementations of an object based model deing used successfully in a similar context? Some condrete examples might beat jargon :-)

And to all the naysayers, please keep it seemly.