Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - StangGuy - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-07, 16:19)exchequer Wrote:
(2015-12-05, 04:10)StangGuy Wrote:
(2015-12-04, 05:09)exchequer Wrote: I am now the proud owner of a Sony 49X8308C and I have installed Kodi on it. I really love it, I can get rid of my htpc. Load is only about 31% on my 40 MB/s Samsung 4K demo video and about 47% on the LG 116 MB/s demo (Istanbul).

However I have noticed two reproducible bugs in Kodi 16 (nightly).

1) Distorted (green) playback on 3840x2160 x264 playback at specific times in a video. Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbzrfsqyxkweoc0/2015-11-28%2000.02.34.jpg?dl=0 . Only happens at a few specific intervals.
2) Black screen when playing 4096x2160 59 fps video. Only sound. When I play the same video with Kodi 15.x on My Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1 connected on HDMI1 (3840x2160 24 hz) the video does show.

If I need to send someone some logs then feel free to pm me.

For 1, check the type of file, if the video is 24fps that has duplicated frames to 30 fps it will do this on some platforms, It doesn't do it on my Surface Pro 2 but does do it on my ZOTAC BI320 running windows.

For 2, resolutions above 3840x2160 are not supported on the Sony TVs except via one of the HDMI inputs. This is a limitation of the TV itself.

Thanks.

About 1: I checked and the video is 29.97 fps. When OHV get's their act together you can download it here (I noticed it is currently doing 50 KB/s instead of 100mbit).

About 2: Is there something I can do to get Kodi to display the video at 3840x2160? It can show higher resolution photo's (e.g. 13 MP) so I guess it should also be able to do video, right?

1) I think it may be down to bitrate. The file is a pretty consistent 120Mb/s. I tried the file on 3 systems in addition to 2 other players on my Sony TV. All had issues.

On the Sony TV, via the built in Sony Player, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, it plays without the green artifacts but has a few noticeable frame drops.
On the Sony TV, via KODI,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, I played it three times and it had green artifacts shortly after entering the Mosque and then again when the shot switches to a different view in the Mosque each time. One time it even dropped the audio.
On the Sony TV, via VLC, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, it has the same green artifacts in the same places as KODI.

On my ZOTAC BI320 with windows 8.1, via KODI,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, Playback buffered at the same points as the Green artifacts on the Sony TV

On my Windows 7 machine with intel 2600k and Nvidia 560Ti, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive and internal SSD, playback had numerous dropped frames, the audio hung at times, and the indicated bitrate hangs around 60Mb/s in the OSD, The OSD also indicated that it was using software decoding, but none of the CPU cores exceeded 15%, this test may not have be indicative of anything because of the software playback

On my i5 Surface Pro 2,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, the file plays back fine until the cache empties then it drops frames
On my i5 Surface Pro 2, from 3TB USB3.0 external hard drive, the file plays back perfectly

2) I'm not sure but I don't think that images are rendered at full resolution which is what KODI tries to do with Video. Koying could probably answer this best.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - maniii - 2015-12-16

(2015-12-07, 10:42)maniii Wrote: Has anyone here got a Sonos Playbar to work on a Bravia TV using passthrough audio?

I used it in my old setup (Samsung TV, cuBox i) and it worked fine. On the Sony (75X9105C) I just get loud noise out of the Sonos speakers (according to sonos app it is receiving either no or an unsupported signal).
It doesn't matter what setting i choose in Android TV audio settings (Mode 1 or 2). Currently i'm running the stable release from PlayStore, but I also tried 16 beta - didn't work either.

Am I missing something or is this a known bug?

Would be great to get this to work cause everything else works so flawlessly on the Bravia...

Well if anyone is interesed, i solved the problem myself with some hardware - using the Ligawo 6518761 HDMI ARC Audio Extractor
I mounted this small piece of hardware on the backside of the TV, connected directly to the HDMI-ARC port (and one USB port for power). Works without any problem with my Sonos Playbar, full DD 5.1 Sound!

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - exchequer - 2015-12-16

(2015-12-09, 08:46)StangGuy Wrote:
(2015-12-07, 16:19)exchequer Wrote:
(2015-12-05, 04:10)StangGuy Wrote: For 1, check the type of file, if the video is 24fps that has duplicated frames to 30 fps it will do this on some platforms, It doesn't do it on my Surface Pro 2 but does do it on my ZOTAC BI320 running windows.

For 2, resolutions above 3840x2160 are not supported on the Sony TVs except via one of the HDMI inputs. This is a limitation of the TV itself.

Thanks.

About 1: I checked and the video is 29.97 fps. When OHV get's their act together you can download it here (I noticed it is currently doing 50 KB/s instead of 100mbit).

About 2: Is there something I can do to get Kodi to display the video at 3840x2160? It can show higher resolution photo's (e.g. 13 MP) so I guess it should also be able to do video, right?

1) I think it may be down to bitrate. The file is a pretty consistent 120Mb/s. I tried the file on 3 systems in addition to 2 other players on my Sony TV. All had issues.

On the Sony TV, via the built in Sony Player, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, it plays without the green artifacts but has a few noticeable frame drops.
On the Sony TV, via KODI,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, I played it three times and it had green artifacts shortly after entering the Mosque and then again when the shot switches to a different view in the Mosque each time. One time it even dropped the audio.
On the Sony TV, via VLC, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, it has the same green artifacts in the same places as KODI.

On my ZOTAC BI320 with windows 8.1, via KODI,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, Playback buffered at the same points as the Green artifacts on the Sony TV

On my Windows 7 machine with intel 2600k and Nvidia 560Ti, from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive and internal SSD, playback had numerous dropped frames, the audio hung at times, and the indicated bitrate hangs around 60Mb/s in the OSD, The OSD also indicated that it was using software decoding, but none of the CPU cores exceeded 15%, this test may not have be indicative of anything because of the software playback

On my i5 Surface Pro 2,from 8GB USB2.0 thumb drive, the file plays back fine until the cache empties then it drops frames
On my i5 Surface Pro 2, from 3TB USB3.0 external hard drive, the file plays back perfectly

2) I'm not sure but I don't think that images are rendered at full resolution which is what KODI tries to do with Video. Koying could probably answer this best.

Thanks for the extensive testing. Let's hope at some point someone picks up the downscaling to 3840px.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jooka1978 - 2015-12-17

Hi,

I have just bought a Sony KDL-55W755C TV and installed Kodi from play store. My TV is connected via optical audio cable to my home cinema system. I have a Synology NAS with DNLA/UPnP enabled.
I played with the settings (AC3, DTS passtrought enabled).
If I play a movie usind UPnP source it works fine, I get 5,1 sound on my repeater. I do not like DNLA because I vant see the metadata and not easy to find the movies.
So I added a shared folder from the nas using SMB. Video starts playing, but the sound is murmur (sorry I dont know the right word in English). So there is some noises coming out, but my receiver shows that it is a stereo PCM channel.
Do you have a solution for that?

And the other thing that I am new to KODI and I would like to ask some trivial questions (I tried to google it, but I could not find the right answer):
- When I add a library and a scan happens where are the metadata stores? Will KODI write back to the NAS, or it is stored on the TV?
- I have lots of non english movies and the scraper grabs incorrect information. It it is very hard to correct them on the TV screen using a remote, or using my mobile phone as a remote. It it possible to edit the media library information on my desktop computer using a keyboard and a mouse?
- Regarding to the previous question I read that it is possible to set up a central MySQL database and all of the devices use this data stored in the database. On the Synology there is a MariaDB official package. Is it possible to use that? Honestly I am not a hard core movie wather, so I do not want to use a complicate solution. I need something like a Plex Server, I organize the metadata on the server and all the clients see that.

UPDATE:

- For the central database I decided to use PleXBMC Addon, here is a great tutorial:
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and-plex-integration-with-plexbmc-addon/
- The white noise problem is very interesting. If I use DNLA I have to set the TV (Settings>Audio>Digital output) digital audio to "Audio1", enable multichannel passthrough. But if I use NFS or SMB share I have to set this settings to PCM. This is the only way to get AC3 5.1.

Hope this help someone.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - gru15 - 2015-12-18

Hi yesterday i bought sony 55w808c TV.
I have lot of movies on HDD. I can play them on native Sony app and picture quality is realy good but i installed Kodi and there is picture quality bad. Can someone help me with settings? In Kodi and in Native app are the settings under Action button same.

Thanks

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Miso - 2015-12-19

I can not believe that I finally solved the 5.1 pass-through on optical S/PDIF. By accident of course Smile)
So:
Settings - PCM in the digital output of the TV sound setting. Normal settings in Kodi (5.1, Optimized, Passthrough enabled)
Issue: When I start the playback in Kodi the first time the receiver switches mode to DTS or DOLBY but no sound is coming through.

Then all I have to do is to switch the TV input to HDMI1 (my external HTPC, not sure if it matters what is connected) then press home to get on the android menu, get back in Kodi and passthrough starts working. It keeps working even if I exit Kodi or shutdown the tv normally. The only time I have to repeat the procedure is if I reboot the android system.

I think this explains why its working for some and not for others (I did not switch inputs at all in the beginning as I was doing everything on the TV).

Hope this helps anyone else..

Regards,

Miso

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Mike42979 - 2015-12-20

I'm running kodi 15.2 from play store on my x850c but always have buffering issues when watching HD or HQ videos. I tried adjusting the memory settings but nothing workedHuh

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hannes The Hun - 2015-12-20

don't bother us with too many details.....

are you on LAN or WLAN? do you streram from network HDD or internet (warning: no support for illegal add-ons here). what is your connection speed? which protocol (UPnP/DLNA/SMB....)?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hustler1337 - 2015-12-20

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how Kodi performs on the Sony Android TVs?

I'd like to find out the speed performance and if anyone has experienced any freezes, jitters or crashes? Ideally from those who run a skin that is not Confluence.

Thanks

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - MSIC - 2015-12-20

(2015-12-20, 19:57)Hustler1337 Wrote: Can anyone tell me how Kodi performs on the Sony Android TVs?
I'd like to find out the speed performance and if anyone has experienced any freezes, jitters or crashes? Ideally from those who run a skin that is not Confluence.

Hi, how long is a piece of string?? Smile
From my perspective, is it "good". A solid B-, maybe even a B rating.
For me, i've come from a proper HTPC using a SandyBridge Pentium 2.6Ghz desktop CPU, to the on-board android, and there is no question that the native android application running on the Sony TV hardware is a step down in comparison.
I use Arctic Zephyr skin, which i love aesthetically and functionally, and is quite responsive - scrolling through hundreds of DVD-type covers has a little delay (fractions of a second, but noticeable in comparison to HTPC).
That said, it works well, probably no more crashes than OpenElec ever did, and Audio_Visual files play back as well as ever.
All in all, it was worth losing my HTPC for (i considered keeping it), due to power, heat and noise reduction.

But i think that probably 2016 or 2017 Sony Android TVs will be better.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hannes The Hun - 2015-12-21

MSIC is right. I will keep my HTPC OpenElec Chromebox for the time being as it has absolutely brilliant performance, but Jarvis on Sony Android TV at least works well enough to make any of these (cheap-ass China) Android HDMI boxes redundant - maybe with the exception of the nvidia Shield or Nexus Player if you require stellar Android performance, which the 2015 Sony Android TVs clearly don't have. Also be advised that current 2015 Android TV sets (Sony, Philips) suffer from a motherload of bugs, mostly related to all things TV (cable/sat, EPG) so the manufacturers as well as Google still have some homework to do for the next few months.

As an added bonus, nightlies of Jarvis already bring native 4k playback which for me is truly stunning with LAN playback from SMB HDD if you can find compatible files.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Crill - 2015-12-22

Has anyone been able to install any nicer skins for this? I tried to sideload Aeon MQ 6 but it failed, then tried 2 other just from the repo and after an age they failed too. Confluence is ok but I like something that can be customised a bit more.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - pilluli - 2015-12-22

(2015-12-21, 00:13)Hannes The Hun Wrote: As an added bonus, nightlies of Jarvis already bring native 4k playback which for me is truly stunning with LAN playback from SMB HDD if you can find compatible files.

Thanks Hannes for the info. Does also support 4k playback of pictures (photos)?

I'll try the nightly if I manage to find a tutorial on how to install ... Smile

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - pilluli - 2015-12-22

(2015-12-21, 00:13)Hannes The Hun Wrote: As an added bonus, nightlies of Jarvis already bring native 4k playback which for me is truly stunning with LAN playback from SMB HDD if you can find compatible files.

Thanks Hannes for the info. Do you know if it also supports 4k playback of pictures (photos)?

I'll try the nightly if I manage to find a tutorial on how to install ... Smile

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - MannyMan #1 - 2015-12-22

(2015-12-22, 14:04)Crill Wrote: Has anyone been able to install any nicer skins for this? I tried to sideload Aeon MQ 6 but it failed, then tried 2 other just from the repo and after an age they failed too. Confluence is ok but I like something that can be customised a bit more.

Aeon Nox 5: Redux