Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - cable_guy - 2014-06-20

Hi all, only stumbled across this today, I'm keen to try it on my Openelec build. Which is the most stable version I can try please?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - garbear - 2014-06-20

(2014-06-19, 07:45)seniorstew Wrote: keep getting "incorrect file structure error" when trying to install.. running on asus chromebox running openelec jun 14th release

Can you link to the add-on zip you're trying to install? I can take a look at the folder structure and addon.xml to make sure they're peachy.

(2014-06-20, 17:54)cable_guy Wrote: Hi all, only stumbled across this today, I'm keen to try it on my Openelec build. Which is the most stable version I can try please?

Grab one of the 4.0 releases from the OP. I've only done minimal testing, so report back here if anything is wonky! Enjoy Smile

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - seniorstew - 2014-06-20

(2014-06-20, 18:03)garbear Wrote:
(2014-06-19, 07:45)seniorstew Wrote: keep getting "incorrect file structure error" when trying to install.. running on asus chromebox running openelec jun 14th release

Can you link to the add-on zip you're trying to install? I can take a look at the folder structure and addon.xml to make sure they're peachy.

(2014-06-20, 17:54)cable_guy Wrote: Hi all, only stumbled across this today, I'm keen to try it on my Openelec build. Which is the most stable version I can try please?

Grab one of the 4.0 releases from the OP. I've only done minimal testing, so report back here if anything is wonky! Enjoy Smile

It's the generic from the main post x86 OpenELEC_RetroPlayer-20140527-a4b0f22-Generic.x86_64-4.0.0.zip

Thanks seniorstew and garbear.

I'm so new to this I could do with some instructions, where can I find some please?

I now have the Openelec build on my Revo and have enabled some emulators from the Libretro addon repository but can't open my SNES SMC files nor my .zip files in MAME.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - OmniBlade - 2014-06-20

On an ubuntu linux build I had no problems playing smc files with either bsnes(performance) or snes9x-next, though snes9x wouldn't run. FBA will load arcade games it supports but I get no sound and no keys appear to be mapped to insert coin and I was unable to actually play, while MAME 2014 appears to segfault. To play the zip files rather than opening them I had to bring up the context menu and select play.

Must admit not tried another emulator than SNES 9x but because I tried mame and FBA first and neither worked I assumed the build just didn't work on my system.

When I press the context button and play on the SNES games it crashes x and shows the xbmc Gotham logo and reloads the GUI. Then if I press play on the arcade ones it does nothing.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - Trickname - 2014-06-20

Hello Garbear,

i tryed the Win Version + x360dongle
can say:
MAME plays wounderfull for me now, also .gba and .snes works fine,
but miss mednafen.psx a little. (wasn´t it there on older version/repo?)

but want to know if there is a way to use Iphone to remote games as joystick ?
im not sure if this easily can be made in keymap or other .xml´s

also have an WiiUPro Controller here, would be great see this working
in some games mame make me flip the screen %)
and thx for all your work Garbear

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - xbs08 - 2014-06-22

Downloaded the x86_64 build, copy it to the update folder of OE but after reboot I'm still on 4.0.5?
The NUC reboots with the build in the update folder but it doesn't install it?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - OmniBlade - 2014-06-22

(2014-06-14, 23:15)rockwood Wrote: WIRELESS
Getting it working over bluetooth is a bit tricky. This is how I got it working.

First, open your favorite text editor and copy this keymap and save it to your computer with a name like "ps3-controller.xml" or something. We'll be editing this later.

Next, in OpenELEC navigate to System > OpenELEC > Services and make sure "Enable Bluetooth" is checked.

Then navigate to System > OpenELEC > Bluetooth. If you don't see an item labeled "PLAYSTATION®3 Controller", plug in the controller over USB and hit the Home button. If the controller is connected, disconnect it and hit the Home button. The red lights on top should be blinking. Select the controller on the Bluetooth menu and hit "Trust and Connect". If it all worked, the lights should continue blinking on your controller and it should say "Connected: Yes" in the Bluetooth menu.

Now SSH into the HTPC and type this
Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
There should be an entry named "PLAYSTATION®3 Controller". Find the section that says U: Uniq= and copy the string that comes after it.

Now open the keymap file we created earlier. Under each joystick node we're going to create a new altname node. It will look like this
Code:
<altname>PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)</altname>
with the number in parenthesis being the Uniq from the last step. Save the file.

Now SFTP into your HTPC and place the keymap in /storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/

Reboot the HTPC.

Here's where things get a little hacky. The controller needs to be connected before OpenELEC boots for it to be usable, but you can't connect over bluetooth until OpenELEC has booted... So what I do is wait for OpenELEC to boot, hit the Home button on my controller, then try to open an N64 rom. This will crash the system, forcing OpenELEC to re-open with the controller connected. It's ugly, but it works.

Sorry if this guide was confusing. There might be an easier way, but this is the only way that worked for me.

This all seems very complicated, what version of bluez does openelec use? If its 5 then newer versions have support for sixaxis and ds3 pairing integrated in, if its 4, there are patches that enable the same where you just connect the pad to the system and it magically get paired. They are stuck using the kernel driver support which until recently didn't have rumble support or support setting the LEDs but with kernel 3.15 that is fixed.
I've created a ppa for ubuntu 14.04 that has the sixaxis patch as well as support for pairing to the WiiU pro control at https://launchpad.net/~nadia-xy/+archive/ppa for anyone wanting to use the PS3 pads with xbmcbuntu. It doesn't support fake PS3 controllers though as they tend to have different descriptors and the patch relies on the descriptor to decide if it needs to create the pairing and trust. I might be able to add that to the patch, but I don't have any fakes so would be unable to test it.

Regarding controllers not detected, garbear previously said he thought hotplugging of controllers had been fixed, but this seems not to be the case, at least on linux as I can also report only being able to use controllers that were connected before XBMC started.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - moocow1452 - 2014-06-23

Garbear et al,

Right now for ARM builds, I'm having trouble building once we get to the modified LibDVDcore, presumably because it's trying to make an OpenGL call, or it's getting mixed with GLES, or somethings going on that's reproducable with the Pi and the Beaglebone Black I'm using. Could we compile against something like Regal or GLShim to close that particular gap, remove the GL dependancy entirely, or does it go deeper than that?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - allen00se - 2014-06-25

Having issues with a clean windows 7 x64 install. Post install, I select a game and it asks me to install an emulator. I choose nestopia, then the game fails to launch. Here is the relevant section from the log.

Code:
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: GAME - GAME::CGameClient::Create - creating game add-on instance 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)'
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - NES / Famicom (NEStopia)
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\library.xbmc.libretro\libXBMC_libretro.dll)
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: LoadLibraryExA called with flags:
                                             - LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH
12:16:02 T:11860   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:16:02 T:11860   DEBUG: GameManager: tracking 41 extensions
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings blargg_ntsc_filter (value is "Blargg NTSC filter; disabled|composite|svideo|rgb")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'blargg_ntsc_filter'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings palette (value is "Palette; canonical|consumer|alternative|rgb")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'palette'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings nospritelimit (value is "Remove 8-sprites-per-scanline hardware limit; disabled|enabled")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'nospritelimit'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: ------------------------------------
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Loaded DLL for gameclient.nestopia
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Client: NES / Famicom (NEStopia) at version 1.46.2
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Valid extensions: .fds .nes
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Supports VFS: yes
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Supports no game: no
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: RetroPlayer: Using game client gameclient.nestopia at version 1.46.2
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): NstDatabase.xml path: C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\gameclient.nestopia\system\NstDatabase.xml
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): NstDatabase.xml required to detect region and some mappers.
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: GAME: exception caught while trying to call 'LoadGame()' on add-on gameclient.nestopia
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: Please contact the developer of this add-on: Martin Freij
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: RetroPlayer: Error opening file

The interesting part to me is that the file it says is missing (NstDatabase.xml). I went to look for that file and the whole directory structure is missing. Under "C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data" there are no sub directories. Any ideas whats going on here?

So now I uninstalled the nestopia emulator and chose the other one. Now I get no onscreen error, but here is the relevant section from the log.

Code:
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: RetroPlayer: Using gameclient.fceumm
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: GAME - GAME::CGameClient::Create - creating game add-on instance 'NES / Famicom (FCEUmm)'
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - NES / Famicom (FCEUmm)
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: LoadLibraryExA called with flags:
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (FCEUmm): Unable to assign function "retro_set_environment": The specified procedure could not be found.
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (FCEUmm): Failed to load C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\gameclient.fceumm\fceumm_libretro_win.dll
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: ADDON: Dll NES / Famicom (FCEUmm) - Client returned bad status (6) from Create and is not usable
12:30:00 T:8484    INFO: Called Add-on status handler for '6' of clientName:NES / Famicom (FCEUmm), clientID:gameclient.fceumm (same Thread=no)
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: RetroPlayer: Failed to init game client gameclient.fceumm

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - allen00se - 2014-06-25

(2014-06-25, 19:24)allen00se Wrote: Having issues with a clean windows 7 x64 install. Post install, I select a game and it asks me to install an emulator. I choose nestopia, then the game fails to launch. Here is the relevant section from the log.

Code:
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: GAME - GAME::CGameClient::Create - creating game add-on instance 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)'
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - NES / Famicom (NEStopia)
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\library.xbmc.libretro\libXBMC_libretro.dll)
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: LoadLibraryExA called with flags:
12:16:02 T:11860   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:16:02 T:11860   DEBUG: GameManager: tracking 41 extensions
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings blargg_ntsc_filter (value is "Blargg NTSC filter; disabled|composite|svideo|rgb")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'blargg_ntsc_filter'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings palette (value is "Palette; canonical|consumer|alternative|rgb")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'palette'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): Checking for settings nospritelimit (value is "Remove 8-sprites-per-scanline hardware limit; disabled|enabled")
12:16:02 T:10544   DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'NES / Famicom (NEStopia)' requests setting 'nospritelimit'
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Loaded DLL for gameclient.nestopia
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Client: NES / Famicom (NEStopia) at version 1.46.2
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Valid extensions: .fds .nes
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Supports VFS: yes
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: GAME: Supports no game: no
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: RetroPlayer: Using game client gameclient.nestopia at version 1.46.2
12:16:02 T:10544    INFO: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): NstDatabase.xml path: C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\gameclient.nestopia\system\NstDatabase.xml
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): NstDatabase.xml required to detect region and some mappers.
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: GAME: exception caught while trying to call 'LoadGame()' on add-on gameclient.nestopia
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: Please contact the developer of this add-on: Martin Freij
12:16:02 T:10544   ERROR: RetroPlayer: Error opening file

The interesting part to me is that the file it says is missing (NstDatabase.xml). I went to look for that file and the whole directory structure is missing. Under "C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data" there are no sub directories. Any ideas whats going on here?

So now I uninstalled the nestopia emulator and chose the other one. Now I get no onscreen error, but here is the relevant section from the log.

Code:
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: RetroPlayer: Using gameclient.fceumm
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: GAME - GAME::CGameClient::Create - creating game add-on instance 'NES / Famicom (FCEUmm)'
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - NES / Famicom (FCEUmm)
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: LoadLibraryExA called with flags:
12:30:00 T:8484   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (FCEUmm): Unable to assign function "retro_set_environment": The specified procedure could not be found.
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (FCEUmm): Failed to load C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\gameclient.fceumm\fceumm_libretro_win.dll
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: ADDON: Dll NES / Famicom (FCEUmm) - Client returned bad status (6) from Create and is not usable
12:30:00 T:8484    INFO: Called Add-on status handler for '6' of clientName:NES / Famicom (FCEUmm), clientID:gameclient.fceumm (same Thread=no)
12:30:00 T:8484   ERROR: RetroPlayer: Failed to init game client gameclient.fceumm

Interestingly enough, the only SNES game I tried worked flawlessy.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - OmniBlade - 2014-06-26

Several of the cores require additional files to be provided by the user, mainly bios files. Those that do use the same path (with a different name for the gameclient.* part of the path) and if you provide the file and there aren't any other issues with the core, they will then work. Hopefully a more release ready version will prompt the user to browse for the required file(s) and will copy them to the correct location. The fceumm error looks to be some error with either the core or the retroplayer implementation.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - allen00se - 2014-06-26

(2014-06-26, 12:46)OmniBlade Wrote: Several of the cores require additional files to be provided by the user, mainly bios files. Those that do use the same path (with a different name for the gameclient.* part of the path) and if you provide the file and there aren't any other issues with the core, they will then work. Hopefully a more release ready version will prompt the user to browse for the required file(s) and will copy them to the correct location. The fceumm error looks to be some error with either the core or the retroplayer implementation.

Fair enough, is there some instructions somewhere I missed? I actually did try to add that specific file and built the directory structure but it resulted in a crash so I assumed there was more missing than just that one file.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - OmniBlade - 2014-06-26

I don't think so, the only way to know what files are missing is from the log. Remember this is all experimental so you need to be able to do your own troubleshooting. If it still crashes, check what the log says, it might be more missing files (in which case it should tell you which) or it might be an implementation issue.