Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2013-05-28

Mine puts it in the a folder named yyyymmdd, I will have to look at what setting does this.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - umanbean - 2013-05-30

I have installed this addon and configured it to run manually but where do I run it from?. All i can see is the add-on enabled which just takes me back to configure? Please help/

Re: [Release] XBMC Backup - TRaSH - 2013-05-30

Programs

(2013-05-30, 15:16)TRaSH Wrote: Programs

Thanks,

I'm new to this plugin and have now made a backup and am trying to recover it. It appears to be taking a long time and seems to have stopped on "Gathering Files". Its been going for 30 minutes now with no sign of movement. Should this happen or should I cancel it and try again.

So I cancelled the ptocess and it just hangs. Rebooted xbmc and tried again and now there is no visible Restore at all. What a mess!!. Please someone advise me how I get this to Restore when there appears no option in the Restore window!!!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - TRaSH - 2013-05-30

there should be a folder on your drive where you can find the backup
mostly it has dates(of the backup) as folder name

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jvandenbroek - 2013-06-03

I've set 2 custom folders, /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin, but somehow it doesn't include the files located here. I get 2 empty custom folders in the backup. The user who run the XBMC process has enough permissions to read out these folders and files. What could be wrong? I'm running XBMC 12.2 on XBian 1.0 Alpha 5 (Raspberry Pi) with all updates applied. Thanks.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-06-04

(2013-06-03, 09:35)jvandenbroek Wrote: I've set 2 custom folders, /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin, but somehow it doesn't include the files located here. I get 2 empty custom folders in the backup. The user who run the XBMC process has enough permissions to read out these folders and files. What could be wrong? I'm running XBMC 12.2 on XBian 1.0 Alpha 5 (Raspberry Pi) with all updates applied. Thanks.

What does the log look like? It should show if it is even finding files in those directories. Also, are these files links or the actual files? I'm not sure how the vfs file system would handle links. You're in uncharted waters here!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - PoPi - 2013-06-04

(2013-05-30, 18:23)umanbean Wrote: So I cancelled the ptocess and it just hangs. Rebooted xbmc and tried again and now there is no visible Restore at all. What a mess!!. Please someone advise me how I get this to Restore when there appears no option in the Restore window!!!

I got a reply a while back to try including a file that was not in the folder etc but it didn't work for me and I'm awaiting a reply to try something else.
This may not be your problem and it didn't work for me but just in case see if it helps!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129499&pid=1431070#pid1431070

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-06-04

Here is a very crude example of what the folder structure should look like. When you make a backup this should all be done automatically but it is a place to start:

PHP Code:
/  (Backup Directory defined in the addon settingscan be your network share, or whatever)
--
06042013/ (backup foldernamed for the date it was created)
----
xbmcbackup.val (validation file that validates this as a valid XBMC Backup directory)
----
userdata/  (where you userdata is backed up)
----
addons/ (where addons are backed up

Looking at this tree all you really need to do is make sure that the root folder is defined in the addon settings and the restore points will be brought in. A few things to consider

a) does your folder structure match this - if not maybe you've moved files or something - maybe restore points never got written
b) can xbmc read/write to the directory you are looking in
c) what does the debug log say? the xbmcvfs module is pretty good about giving permission or other errors when trying to view folders

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Dwayne - 2013-06-06

Is XBMC Backup meant to start automatically when XBMC starts or do I have to start it automatically after starting XBMC ? I've configured XBMC Backup to back up automatically at 1am, but the backups haven't occurred since I restarted XBMC.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-06-06

The service should start automatically when you start xbmc. This is going to sound pretty stupid, but make sure you've enabled the scheduler checkbox in the settings. For anything further I'll need a debug log. The best sort of information would be a log that includes a clean startup of xbmc (to check if the service fails on startup) and then runs through your specified start time (in case it's failing when it tries to run). You should also make sure you can run a backup manually, it could be that a file write error or something is at fault and not the scheduler.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - fernandovg - 2013-06-16

Is the backup complete or copy only what changed? Can I choose the destination folder of dropbox? Thanks

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Ghostdivision - 2013-06-17

I was just thinking about a backup for htpc, and im wondering if this approach is better than doing a system image file on windows?

I was thinking this might be better if i update my os from windows 7 to windows 8 in the future can I restore xbmc yetHuh If this is the case then this would be ideal.

One question though i dont know if rob you use rom collection browser or anything like that but i take it if i install a new os, and restore, would RCB have to be completely re-done, or would my games and images show up and I can just correct the paths to the roms? Roms currently mostly have to be installed locally on my machine/htpc, so I im just wondering to what end this addon will back things up as the location of the roms on the machine would likely change if I upgrade the OS and need to re-add them to the my pc. I guess the same principle would be for movies or music, if you had those on your htpc, and did a backup elsewhere, and installed a new os and then put the movies back on the htpc, the location might change then, would the images and artwork should up, and you could simply fix the location path to your movies? Or would you have to rescan everything?

Similarly i use advanced launcher to launch a web browser and added that entry to my skin menu, would that still be present (the web entry in my skin) and I could just correct the path to the browser to launch in chrome?

Im just trying to understand to what extent this backup will restore everything.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Ghostdivision - 2013-06-17

I am also curious what the 2 non xbmc directories mean?