Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-08-14

Log into the xbmcbuntu desktop and open a terminal window there. Launch it using the same parameters you use in RCB.

For jstest, agan log into the xbmcbuntu desktop and open synaptic package manager, I think its installed by default in xbmcbuntu. Then a menu entry should appear, if not open a terminal and I dare say the command jstest-gtk will launch it

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - phs989 - 2013-08-14

(2013-08-14, 08:54)teeedubb Wrote: Log into the xbmcbuntu desktop and open a terminal window there. Launch it using the same parameters you use in RCB.

For jstest, agan log into the xbmcbuntu desktop and open synaptic package manager, I think its installed by default in xbmcbuntu. Then a menu entry should appear, if not open a terminal and I dare say the command jstest-gtk will launch it

teeedubb - I have tried as you have mentioned above but hitting brick walls. I have installed jstest-gtk but when i try and load from the terminal i receive the message Gtk-WARNING cannot open display... The xbmcbuntu desktop also does not offer anywhere where i can amend settings etc so at a loss what to do now.

As jstest-gtk is a graphical tool it doesnt seem able to load from the terminal.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - toki5 - 2013-08-14

(2013-08-09, 17:49)Skipp2k Wrote: Hi all

I know that this was asked a few posts back by toki5 and its regarding getting Daphne running in RCB. I have created bat files for each game and using the mame offline method I can get the games to scrap but I can not get these to run.

Now i have tried malte advise by deleting the contents of the emulator in config.xml and it still does not work. I also tried Uukrul advise to enter the new code in launcher.py so that it can run bat files but this just gives me a script error when running RCB so I had to change it back.

Now toki5 said he managed to get it working but did not mention how he did it, so can anyone help.

Also I don't know how to get the log files so if anyone can let me know how to get RCB log files.

Thanks

The bat files I have were pre configured. One game will scan in and work, if you scan in multiple games, it wouldnt work for me. If you do get it to work, please let me know. enter the bat file as the emu and the rom, that is how it worked for me with that method.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-08-14

(2013-08-14, 15:20)phs989 Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 08:54)teeedubb Wrote: Log into the xbmcbuntu desktop and open a terminal window there. Launch it using the same parameters you use in RCB.

teeedubb - I have tried as you have mentioned above but hitting brick walls. I have installed jstest-gtk but when i try and load from the terminal i receive the message Gtk-WARNING cannot open display... The xbmcbuntu desktop also does not offer anywhere where i can amend settings etc so at a loss what to do now.

As jstest-gtk is a graphical tool it doesnt seem able to load from the terminal.

You're trying via a ssh terminal right? Its possible to run using a environment variable but its easier to do it in the xbmcbuntu desktop. If memory serves me right, Jstest-gtk is a graphical wrapper for jstest - if you want to do it via ssh you could try that.

Did you try to run it from a terminal in the xbmcbuntu desktop?

Another possible way to test the joypad would be to check the xbmc debug log (wiki) for joystick input, but I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - phs989 - 2013-08-15

(2013-08-14, 22:46)teeedubb Wrote: You're trying via a ssh terminal right? Its possible to run using a environment variable but its easier to do it in the xbmcbuntu desktop. If memory serves me right, Jstest-gtk is a graphical wrapper for jstest - if you want to do it via ssh you could try that.

Did you try to run it from a terminal in the xbmcbuntu desktop?

Another possible way to test the joypad would be to check the xbmc debug log (wiki) for joystick input, but I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

Appreciate the response... the xbmcbuntu desktop is pretty basic and as such i havent been able to launch the terminal from the desktop. I have not established a way to access it. I have been running all commands via logging out of the desktop screen [ctrl+alt+F1] and then logging in and running sudo commands. Its from this interface that jstest-gtk wont load but it has confirmed installation.

Im fairly new to using this system so apologies if some of this is very basic requests. If i can load the terminal from the desktop that would be really helpful but i havent been able to see how.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-08-15

Its all good, you gotta start somewhere. Smile

I'm not every familiar with xbmcbuntu but try pressing alt+f2 and hopefully a command window will pop up and enter

x-terminal-emulator

Also, be careful using sudo, only use it when necessary - it can easily break installs.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - phs989 - 2013-08-15

ill try tonight when i am in front of the machine. I have all of the emulators working now so my only challenge is the joystick element. I know i am close... Smile

Is there a good place for a newbie working with ubuntu/xbmcbuntu to go to for direction on using commands etcHuh Direction welcome.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-08-15

(2013-08-15, 04:09)Darryl677 Wrote: I tried this last night on my ubuntu server install, unfortunatly it didn't work!!

Oakley Sunglasses

ImageImageImageImageImage

Maybe there's too much spam on your system?

Phs989: backups, Google and trial and error Smile there's quite a few beginners guides on the net for ubuntu/linux and the Linux section of these forums is very helpful with questions regarding xbmc and Linux.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Skipp2k - 2013-08-15

(2013-08-14, 22:36)toki5 Wrote:
(2013-08-09, 17:49)Skipp2k Wrote: Hi all

I know that this was asked a few posts back by toki5 and its regarding getting Daphne running in RCB. I have created bat files for each game and using the mame offline method I can get the games to scrap but I can not get these to run.

Now i have tried malte advise by deleting the contents of the emulator in config.xml and it still does not work. I also tried Uukrul advise to enter the new code in launcher.py so that it can run bat files but this just gives me a script error when running RCB so I had to change it back.

Now toki5 said he managed to get it working but did not mention how he did it, so can anyone help.

Also I don't know how to get the log files so if anyone can let me know how to get RCB log files.

Thanks

The bat files I have were pre configured. One game will scan in and work, if you scan in multiple games, it wouldnt work for me. If you do get it to work, please let me know. enter the bat file as the emu and the rom, that is how it worked for me with that method.

Thanks toki5 for the answer, ya i did get them to work like this, its a pity you can not run bat files. Thanks again.

(2013-08-15, 10:33)Skipp2k Wrote: Thanks toki5 for the answer, ya i did get them to work like this, its a pity you can not run bat files. Thanks again.

I may be doing it wrong, but *.bat files have worked for me for a long time...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Skipp2k - 2013-08-15

(2013-08-15, 10:38)teeedubb Wrote: I may be doing it wrong, but *.bat files have worked for me for a long time...

Ya if you select the batch file has the emulator it seems to work but when I set Daphne up I select daphne for the emulator and the bat files for the rom files and using the offline mame method I can get the scraped. Then I delete the daphne.exe command line and try to run them and no luck Sad

I also tried to make the bat file to a lnk (shortcut) but that still did not work.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - MofoJack - 2013-08-16

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, I apologize.

The online scrapers work great, but I have a few ROM's where it has downloaded boxfront's that I would like to change. I have tried to "rescrape selected game" and choose "local artwork", "local nfo" and any combination of the two. I have even replaced the boxfront image in question (I'm on a Mac, and for me they reside in /users/admin/dropbox/rom/n64/artwork/boxfront/rom_name.jpg). I tried going into the nfo file and changed the URL for the incorrect image to the URL for the image I want. I left the local path alone as I replaced the image locally with the correct. However, it still shows the old image. I've deleted and re-added the game, even changed the scrapers to local, but no dice. Any ideas?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - toki5 - 2013-08-16

If anyone gets a method to work correctly for daphne, could you please post a step by step on how you did the trick?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Skipp2k - 2013-08-16

Ok I found out how to get Daphne to work, you have to use the Windows platform and nothing else, it looks like the Windows platform does not ask for an emulator but asks where your roms are which means you can direct it to your bat files. If you change the game platform title in config.xml to something else then it does not work.

So this is for malte, is it possible for you to add a Daphne/Laserdisc game platform to RCB which does the same like the Windows platform and also maybe a PC Games platform so that I don't have to use the Windows one.

To toki5 if you want the Daphne games scraped you can use the offline mame method, all you have to do is enter the missing games to Mame.txt, these would be Dragons Lair 1 & 2 and Space Ace and a few others I think.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Skipp2k - 2013-08-16

(2013-08-16, 00:45)MofoJack Wrote: I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, I apologize.

The online scrapers work great, but I have a few ROM's where it has downloaded boxfront's that I would like to change. I have tried to "rescrape selected game" and choose "local artwork", "local nfo" and any combination of the two. I have even replaced the boxfront image in question (I'm on a Mac, and for me they reside in /users/admin/dropbox/rom/n64/artwork/boxfront/rom_name.jpg). I tried going into the nfo file and changed the URL for the incorrect image to the URL for the image I want. I left the local path alone as I replaced the image locally with the correct. However, it still shows the old image. I've deleted and re-added the game, even changed the scrapers to local, but no dice. Any ideas?

You have to rescrape the game and what I did was used best guess for the scrape. Try that and see what happens.