Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- The_strade - 2010-07-29

Ya, i realize that, but i meant something that will provide for easier renaming, scraping, etc than manually editing mysql tables...

- charrua - 2010-07-29

The_strade Wrote:Ya, i realize that, but i meant something that will provide for easier renaming, scraping, etc than manually editing mysql tables...
Try XBMC Web Media Manager.

- ringgh0st - 2010-07-29

charrua Wrote:Try XBMC Web Media Manager.

nice tool. but not usable when the MySQL database is on a NAS isnt it?

- charrua - 2010-07-29

ringgh0st Wrote:nice tool. but not usable when the MySQL database is on a NAS isnt it?
Well, it works with MySQL installed on a win server, so I think it should also work with a NAS too. Anyway I'm not actually a frequent XBMC Web Media Manager user.

- cg5150 - 2010-07-30

The_strade Wrote:I, too, am having issues with mysql and dharma now. I deleted my mysql DBs, allowed imdb to recreate them, yet when i reassign my content and my scraper they are not saved next time i go in there, plus no data is being brought into the library. In fact, i cant even switch to library mode at all (presumably since it is empty). Checking the actual mysql tables i see my test entry has been created in the 'paths' table, but that appears to be about it.

Yeah it must be a problem with the new code. I'm running the latest nightly (xbmc-r32268-Dharma) and I'm having the exact same problem you described under MySQL. I know permissions are fine because if I delete all the userdata folders and delete the MySQL Databases, the folders are rebuilt and the music and video databases are built from scratch. Like you, I add a video source and scrape it. It basically goes through the scrape process nearly instantly and ends up with nothing in the library. The path table does contain the UNC path to the files, but no movie info was stored.

- ringgh0st - 2010-07-31

cg5150 Wrote:Yeah it must be a problem with the new code. I'm running the latest nightly (xbmc-r32268-Dharma) and I'm having the exact same problem you described under MySQL. I know permissions are fine because if I delete all the userdata folders and delete the MySQL Databases, the folders are rebuilt and the music and video databases are built from scratch. Like you, I add a video source and scrape it. It basically goes through the scrape process nearly instantly and ends up with nothing in the library. The path table does contain the UNC path to the files, but no movie info was stored.

mhh stange behaviour. i also have the latest SVN and eveything works fine. tried it on my mac mini (macosx) and my vaio (win7)

- cg5150 - 2010-07-31

ringgh0st Wrote:mhh stange behaviour. i also have the latest SVN and eveything works fine. tried it on my mac mini (macosx) and my vaio (win7)

VERY interesting... I had some time to research this and found something odd in the LOG. I'm getting errors about missing tables for XBMC. However as I pointed out, there ARE tables being created when XBMC is first opened if I drop the databases. At the very least, I'm missing these tables based on the errors:

files, tvshow, musicvideo

Not yet sure why I have 15 other tables in the video database though - its almost as if some aren't creating properly. Maybe some default MySQL Setting? I did enable UTF8 when I installed it.... Going to look more...

EDIT - This is definitely an XBMC bug related to the fact that the MySQL server is set to support UTF8 character sets. The database tables fail because an index doesn't create properly because of length under UTF8. Specifically this SQL Statement Fails:
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ix_path ON path ( strPath )

With this error message:
ERROR: SQL: Undefined MySQL error: Code (1071)

which is a length error likely because the database was created by default as UTF8. UTF8 stores multiple bytes per character (to support languages with other character sets) as opposed to a single byte per character. Once the SQL statement errors, no further create table statements are attempted. I had to turn on debug logging to see the errors.

I was able to get around the problem by dropping all of the tables in the Music and Video databases. Then changing BOTH databases to be Character Set: latin1 and Collation: latin1_general_ci.

Not sure how to report bugs to the developers, but either they need to fix the problem when the database is created as UTF8 because of the server setting, or force the database to be created using LATIN1 Character set with a query like this:

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS xbmc_video DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci

Once the database is created using the LATIN1 character set, all future created objects will also be ascii unless otherwise specified. The end result is everything now creates properly.

For now, if you're having this problem as well, just do what I did above and everything will be created properly

EDIT 2: Looks like it needs to be Latin Character set as accented letters don't exist in the ASCII set. This was causing actors with names using letters like é to fail to be added to the database. I've adjusted the text above to reflect the LATIN1 character set instead.

- jackthegroove - 2010-07-31

cg5150 Wrote:VERY interesting... I had some time to research this and found something odd in the LOG. I'm getting errors about missing tables for XBMC. However as I pointed out, there ARE tables being created when XBMC is first opened if I drop the databases. At the very least, I'm missing these tables based on the errors:

files, tvshow, musicvideo

Not yet sure why I have 15 other tables in the video database though - its almost as if some aren't creating properly. Maybe some default MySQL Setting? I did enable UTF8 when I installed it.... Going to look more...

EDIT - This is definitely an XBMC bug related to the fact that the MySQL server is set to support UTF8 character sets. The database tables fail because an index doesn't create properly because of length under UTF8. Specifically this SQL Statement Fails:

With this error message:

which is a length error likely because the database was created by default as UTF8. UTF8 stores multiple bytes per character (to support languages with other character sets) as opposed to a single byte per character. Once the SQL statement errors, no further create table statements are attempted. I had to turn on debug logging to see the errors.

I was able to get around the problem by dropping all of the tables in the Music and Video databases. Then changing BOTH databases to be Character Set: latin1 and Collation: latin1_general_ci.

Not sure how to report bugs to the developers, but either they need to fix the problem when the database is created as UTF8 because of the server setting, or force the database to be created using LATIN1 Character set with a query like this:

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS xbmc_video DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci

Once the database is created using the LATIN1 character set, all future created objects will also be ascii unless otherwise specified. The end result is everything now creates properly.

For now, if you're having this problem as well, just do what I did above and everything will be created properly

EDIT 2: Looks like it needs to be Latin Character set as accented letters don't exist in the ASCII set. This was causing actors with names using letters like é to fail to be added to the database. I've adjusted the text above to reflect the LATIN1 character set instead.

This is an issue i saw a while back too, so I immediately set it to LATIN. Haven't had problems with it so far.

I do have a problem that related to recentlyadded and the mysql database. Is there anyone here mysql savvy enough to solve the problem with the recentlyadded selection parameters "unplayed" and "total"? (limit and album do work). These parameters you can find in most skins in the home.xml file.

- charrua - 2010-07-31

cg5150 Wrote:EDIT - This is definitely an XBMC bug related to the fact that the MySQL server is set to support UTF8 character sets. The database tables fail because an index doesn't create properly because of length under UTF8. Specifically this SQL Statement Fails:

With this error message:

This issue was already posted a while back in this same thread.
Check this post for more info.

- cg5150 - 2010-08-02

charrua Wrote:This issue was already posted a while back in this same thread.

Oh good - I'm glad the developers know about it!

- sladinki007 - 2010-08-08

charrua Wrote:This issue was already posted a while back in this same thread.

HI,

any idea if the developers will solve this issue?
database is working fine .. i love that i can edit straight in mysql
but i have one problem...
my thai movies titles don't get displayed right
i set local to Thai
i set international setting in xbmc to thai
but still get nice rectangular things where it is supposed to be thai ...

so only thing i can think off is the database settings to latin ?

or am i doing something else wrong??

funny part is that Russian is displayed right ... so i am not 100% sure it is the mysql settings Tongue

In Ember it is Displayed right

"movie information" also displays everything wrong (same as pic above)
filename in path is also same rectangular things

UPDATE : Nevermind it is a FONT issue ..
solved it with changing a few things int he font.xml file
updating my other post in the fonts thread with the steps i took

- Casanova_32210 - 2010-08-10

Can someone please explain the difference/advantage between MySQL and me having all of my computers mapped to a shared drive to access all of my video content?

- ringgh0st - 2010-08-10

Casanova_32210 Wrote:Can someone please explain the difference/advantage between MySQL and me having all of my computers mapped to a shared drive to access all of my video content?

1. its faster
2. you can access the db with 2 pc's simultaneous

- jackthegroove - 2010-08-10

Is the problem with the extra parameters for recentlyadded already fixed? (it's a problem that only occurred when using the mysql database)

The parameters that couldn't be used were: totals and unplayed...

Any news on a fix?

Don't you guys have the same problem when using certain skins that have these parameters when calling up the recentlyadded script? (it feels like i'm the only one here who has the problem)

- Casanova_32210 - 2010-08-10

ringgh0st Wrote:1. its faster
2. you can access the db with 2 pc's simultaneous

I haven't noticed it running slow at all over a wireless connection with 2 pc's playing the same movie. All of the thumbs are saved in the movie files. So even when pc2 isn't connected to the network you can still see all the thumbs.