Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-08

No not worth the upgrade unless you have a ton of VP9 content.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - sandogo1 - 2016-08-09

I think Im gonna give a NEXBOX A95X a try

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - KoopaTroopa - 2016-08-09

(2016-08-08, 18:55)sandogo1 Wrote: What is the deal with the new Amlogic S905X Vs the Amlogic S905 .. Is it worth the upgrade?
http://www.inexbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/905x-pk.jpg

That infographic is a good description of what the "X" variant adds/removes from the S905

I posted somewhere else about the difference between s905 and s905x, and the key thing is ultimately the specs don't matter unless Kodi supports it.

So, if you want a Kodi that supports EVERY codec that the s905x can decode, then you're out of luck right this minute.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - sandogo1 - 2016-08-09

Is there any thing special about the Amlogic S912 that will be used soon

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-09

IIRC it can HW decode 10 bit h264 @ 60fps. I remember reading that, but i could be totally wrong?

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - vibe666 - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-08, 18:55)sandogo1 Wrote: What is the deal with the new Amlogic S905X Vs the Amlogic S905 .. Is it worth the upgrade?

I'm a hardware fanatic ... I have more setups then I can use
The nexbox UI looks like they did a decent job on it.
yep, I'm very interested in a few of these new boxes, but (after reading this thread) i'm waiting to see what ones turn out to be decent and which ones are likely to burst into flames after a week! Smile

banggood/gearbest/etc. (not sure if i'm allowed to link, so I won't) have one called the TX5 Pro with the S905X that looks decent on paper for a budget box,
Marshmallow, Amlogic S905X 1.5GHz, Penta-Core Mali-450, 2GB DDR3, 16GB EMMC & HDMI2.0 with hardware decoding support for 10bit 4K H.265 @ 60fps, plus HDR and claims CEC,HDR and HDCP too, although I'm not convinced about all of that now that I've read throughh this thread. Smile

I'm tempted to buy one just to have a play anyway and see how legit the claims are.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - KoopaTroopa - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-10, 05:52)vibe666 Wrote: I'm tempted to buy one just to have a play anyway and see how legit the claims are.
It'll "work". What they claim will decode, will actually decode.

The problem usually is that it won't do it from within Kodi. So you'll have to use whatever media player they bundle with the box in order to get all the hardware-decoding goodness that they advertise.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-10, 06:37)KoopaTroopa Wrote:
(2016-08-10, 05:52)vibe666 Wrote: I'm tempted to buy one just to have a play anyway and see how legit the claims are.
It'll "work". What they claim will decode, will actually decode.

The problem usually is that it won't do it from within Kodi. So you'll have to use whatever media player they bundle with the box in order to get all the hardware-decoding goodness that they advertise.

Unless you run LE, then Kodi should be able to. Of course depending if the s905x gets LE.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - tmaniac84 - 2016-08-10

Pfff, so many choices!

Planning on upgrading my old HTPC (kodibuntu) with a small (android)player, only thing i'm interested in is movie/series playback with DD5.1/DTS/DTS-HD HDMI-Passthrough etc..

Everytime i think i've found the right box...i see another review...and another "there's new sh*t coming!" post Smile
(how am i ever going to explain to my GF why i keep spending money Wink )

At first i was looking at a NUC but that's a lotta money for just watching movies/series (we don't do 3D, we don't do gaming).

The Nexbox A1 looks interesting, maybe i'll wait for that 1.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - danfloss - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-09, 03:29)sandogo1 Wrote: I think Im gonna give a NEXBOX A95X a try

wifi on these is nonexistent

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - crashnburn - 2016-08-10

wrxtasy - Fundamentally and ideally I am with you on all the following points .. But.. REALITY is this.. We and people on the forums are a SMALL SMALL portion of the population that is going to get Kodi in their hands.. whether clean or corrupted versions. I love your posts on OSMC forums as well. Big hugs.

It wont stop no matter how much the Kodi team, you and I do. Given that its open source, Kodi devs & team cannot stop it by closing their windows here on the Forums.

What is cheap sells.. always does.. even if it was made unethically in a sweatshop.. the population buys from a Dollar Store.. even if it has toxic things on childrens toys.

I'm not fighting with you and Kodi team/ devs on ethics and fundamentals. I am saying, when a Wave flows, you don't stand resisting - you leverage that flow.

A PRACTICAL REALISTIC APPROACH will have greater effect that HOLDING on to RULES & FUNDAMENTALS in a small POND. If Microsoft can realize that and start pushing their OS for free to go with the Currents.. Nothing we all do RESISTING here on the Forums will stop the China shops.

They will damage it more unless we do Damage Control, but that cant happen closing our windows & shuting our eyes here. Someone who understands penetration and movement will tell you, certain currents keep flowing.

Anyways, I wont say any more. I rest my case.

(2016-08-05, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 12:19)crashnburn Wrote: And even if someone finds a cheap "corrupt" box from Ebay, why not
- let people buy from them
- provide them links and How to to flash Clean OE/LE builds on them
You still really don't get it do you, no matter how many times we tell you ?

Why should we encourage supporting a business that continually seeks to profit from selling illegal Pirate Kodi boxes ?
Not only has this practice tarnished XBMC/Kodi's reputation, it has led to a LOT of anguish in the Kodi developer ranks.

If you support Kodi, in whatever form it comes in then Kodi developer support must come first. Without that the project ceases to exist.
These guys selling Pirate Hardware contribute absolutely nothing to the Open Source Kodi project.
They are nothing better than pond scum dwellers and leaches sucking the blood from the Kodi project itself.

Legitimate sellers are either:
a) Supporting the developers of the Kodi codebase
b) Sponsoring the Kodi project
c) Providing test Hardware to developers to code with to benefit the entire Kodi project
d) Actually employing developers that contribute to the Kodi codebase

If you support Kodi, stop thinking of only Hardware purchase price and yourselves. There is a bigger picture.

Cheap hardware for end users does not justify free advertising of Kodi pirate boxes.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - crashnburn - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-04, 15:03)danfloss Wrote: @crashburn
Its packed away but i could swear it has Miracast/airplay support will check again tomorrow

Please do share your experiences/ good reviews

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-10

(2016-08-10, 12:11)crashnburn Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 15:03)danfloss Wrote: @crashburn
Its packed away but i could swear it has Miracast/airplay support will check again tomorrow

Please do share your experiences/ good reviews

FYI according to Gearbest the Nexbox A95X doesn't have bluetooth or Miracast support, not sure about airplay. On the Gearbest page for this device, in the questions and answers section peiople have asked about miracast and bluetooth support, gearbest staff have replied and said neither is supported. Maybe a owner can check and confirm otherwise, Gearbest staff arent always accurate.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-10

For anyone looking at a budget S905 device, it's a well known fact that android Kodi doesnt have the bug fixes and features of OpenElec / LibreElec Kodi. But there are several S905 based boxes wiht good hardware specs and OpenElec / LibreElec builds available for them.

Alex/kerber over at Amlinuxmedia has OpenElec builds for the Beelink MiniMX boxes, and Kzsaq has a generic S905 LibreElec build that runs on several cheap China S905 boxes, check over on the LibreElec forums. It all depends on your needs and your technical ability if you want all the DRM capable boxes to watch HD Netflix then you'll need to buy a Wetek device or run Kodi on another device that has the certification from Google.

Personally I dont care about nor do I need DRM capibility. I am running a MiniMX V1 - S905, 16GB EMMC, 2GB RAM, Dual band WiFi, Bluetooth. I have it running in Dual Boot with the original android OS on NAND and Kzsaqs LibreElec 7.005 build on a Samsung Evo 32Gb Micro SDHC card. The box is spot on, boots very fast into LibreElec off SD card, plays everything I need smoothly and without issue.

There are despite all the scaremongering stories on here very capable and decently build budget S905 boxes with good quality LibreElec / OpenElec builds available. Will they have continued support ? Who knows this is the risk your running, will the hardware fail, are you willing to ship your device back to China for warranty ? These are all the gambles you need to consider.

Personally If my device breaks or fails, I will chuck it in the bin and buy a new one, it was cheap enough that I'm not bothered, so far it's been running for over 5 months with no issues. You will always see on this forum a brand snobbery and Bias towards the Kodi sponsors and more expensive hardware minix, wetek , nvidia etc etc... Do your research and evaluate your needs there are bargains to be had.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-08-10

I see Nexbox has a S912 box coming out soon as well.