Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- dalben - 2010-08-10

Using the MySQL method, how do you delete/clear/reset your library ?

- ringgh0st - 2010-08-10

dalben Wrote:Using the MySQL method, how do you delete/clear/reset your library ?
theres no difference between "normal" database. it works the same way.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-17

Hello,

So I have been following this thread, and have read the whole thing, however, there is alot of information here that can be confusing. This being a windows thread in a windows specific group, there is quite a bit of information concerning Linux and setting it up as well.

Is there a guide that someone has written that would be Windows specific on how to install and set up the MySQL database with XBMC?

Thanks,
Mark

- ringgh0st - 2010-08-17

mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

Is there a guide that someone has written that would be Windows specific on how to install and set up the MySQL database with XBMC?

Thanks,
Mark

hey kurt, you only need to set up a mysql server (like wamp + mysql + phpmyadmin). just google for it there are many tutorials out there.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-17

ReallyHuh

I can google those terms and that will tell me how to set MYSQL up with XBMC?

Let me ask you this....When Dharma is finally released, will there be an update to the Wiki that will give someone who is ignorant of terms like Wamp and phpmyadmin, like myself, instructions on how to configure XBMC and MySQL to work together?

Thanks,
Mark

- ringgh0st - 2010-08-17

mwkurt Wrote:ReallyHuh

I can google those terms and that will tell me how to set MYSQL up with XBMC?

Let me ask you this....When Dharma is finally released, will there be an update to the Wiki that will give someone who is ignorant of terms like Wamp and phpmyadmin, like myself, instructions on how to configure XBMC and MySQL to work together?

Thanks,
Mark

kurt, believe me. I AM a MySQL noob (still after installing Mysql, appache and the whole stuff). but you cant make a mistake when you follow 100% one of the tutorials for installing WAMP and MySQL on a windows machine (check ghacks, lifehacker or some other great page). when you got it running simply paste the advancedsettings.xml described in this thread and youre done. nothing more.

- craigd - 2010-08-17

All you need to know is in the second post of this thread.

You don't need wamp, phpmyadmin, workbench or anything else. You don't need to create tables or know anything about sql.

some of these can help but they should not be essential

the step by step therefore is...

1. download mysql

2. install mysql

3. add entries to advancedsettings.xml as described in post 2

4. enjoy...xbmc will create the required schemas according to what you've named them in the xml file and populate all the required tables etc. just rescan your library in as you would normally.

If you've done that and experience problems post here, if you have problems with user permissions or want to view databases the simplest way is using mysql workbench which provides a pretty simple gui for viewing databases.

- ringgh0st - 2010-08-17

craigd Wrote:All you need to know is in the second post of this thread.

You don't need wamp, phpmyadmin, workbench or anything else. You don't need to create tables or know anything about sql.

some of these can help but they should not be essential

the step by step therefore is...

1. download mysql

2. install mysql

3. add entries to advancedsettings.xml as described in post 2

4. enjoy...xbmc will create the required schemas according to what you've named them in the xml file and populate all the required tables etc. just rescan your library in as you would normally.

If you've done that and experience problems post here, if you have problems with user permissions or want to view databases the simplest way is using mysql workbench which provides a pretty simple gui for viewing databases.

as i said. im a mysql noob Wink thx craig

- craigd - 2010-08-17

ringgh0st Wrote:as i said. im a mysql noob Wink thx craig

sorry mate, didn't intend that as a dig at your advice, wamp is an easy automated way to get sql and php stuff installed but installs stuff that isn't needed just for this.

your advice was spot on would definitely work but apparently looking it up was too much work Big Grin.

- zephyr - 2010-08-18

I have a big problem with my latest install.
I use Dharma 32894 and I just can't get the MySql DB to work.

http://pastebin.com/Q1cPPzqk

I have used this setup before on an earlier rev, but now it just won't work.

- Gryph - 2010-08-23

Zephyr,

I'd be checking your database in MySQL ... As looking at your log I see a lot of:
"ERROR: SQL: The table does not exist"

If you have phpmyadmin installed, you can easily check you database (instead of running raw console commands)

- Handa - 2010-08-23

Try to delete the MySQL-database and then re-create it. When you first start XBMC with MySQL set-up you need to let it create all the tables which take about 10-20 seconds.

I remember that I thought XBMC had crashed when I was first starting with the database and I killed the process before it had created all the tables.

- rooster790 - 2010-08-23

jackthegroove Wrote:Is the problem with the extra parameters for recentlyadded already fixed? (it's a problem that only occurred when using the mysql database)

The parameters that couldn't be used were: totals and unplayed...

Any news on a fix?

Don't you guys have the same problem when using certain skins that have these parameters when calling up the recentlyadded script? (it feels like i'm the only one here who has the problem)

Got the same issue here using the AEON skin (Media Stream works fine) - Has anyone heard anything about this?

- mwkurt - 2010-08-26

Craigd,

I hope that you or someone can help me out. I finally tried to configure this and am not sure if it took.
I am using build 33122-Dharme.exe
Steps I took:

1. Downloaded and installed "mysql-essential-5.1.50-win32.msi "

2. Exported my Current DB to a single file.
This produced the following:
a folder called "xbmc_videodb_2010-08-26"
inside the folder are 4 more folders:
actors, movies, musicvideos, tvshows
Also an xml file: videodb.xml
closed xbmc

3. Made an advancedsettings.xml file with the following inside:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
</advancedsettings>

This was placed in my usedata folder at C:/users/server/appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata

3.opened xbmc and did not get any indication of anything being done as far as mysql is concerned.
Tried to import my database. I assumed that xbmc would allow me to choose the xml file "videodb.xml", but it did not.
I am lost. Can someone point me to the error of my ways?
How will I know if it is working or not, what can I check?
Thanks,
Mark

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

Hello,

As a continuation of the plea for help above I am writing this.

I tried to install mysql again. I think because I reinstalled mysql more than once, I got an error message on the security settings, so I installed without security settings. Is that okay?

Now.....when I add the advancedsettings.xml with the videodb part, as described in the 2nd post of this thread, my "Movies" and "TVShows" selections on my home menu disappear and I can not get into Library mode. Is that what is supposed to happen?
After importing my db back into XBMC, those two menu items are still not there. Anything I can do short of reformatting? All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark