Kodi Community Forum
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=2297)

- EmuMannen - 2008-08-24

EmuMannen Wrote:I haven't been able to make the “myth://” source work 100% reliable yet but I use the following solution as a work around until stable PVR functionality in included in XBMC:

This solution require a working MythTV-back-end (referred to as the back-end). EPG and sceduling of recordings has to be done via Myth-web. The machine running XBMC is referred to as the front-end.
Probably obvious to everyone but let me clarify that NFS should be taken out of the equation (as long as recordings are done to the local file system) if XBMS (the front-end) is running on the same host as MythTV (the back-end). The rest would be pretty much the same...

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-08-24

EmuMannen Wrote:I haven't been able to make the “myth://” source work 100% reliable yet but I use the following solution as a work around until stable PVR functionality in included in XBMC:

The solution above is probably much better than mine, but I don't see why you need to run a frontend at all. Just run a backend and run mythweb. If you will always watch from a networked PC that should be all you need. If you want to carry files with you, I suggest setting up user job(s) to export to the formats you need. I have ones set up for xvid and ipod and am working on one for PSP. I do agree with the samba share from wherever your recordings/exports are stored. I am still using the xbmcmythtv script as my frontend until (if) the built-in functionality catches up.

- EmuMannen - 2008-08-24

lingenfr_xbmc Wrote:The solution above is probably much better than mine, but I don't see why you need to run a frontend at all. Just run a backend and run mythweb. If you will always watch from a networked PC that should be all you need. If you want to carry files with you, I suggest setting up user job(s) to export to the formats you need. I have ones set up for xvid and ipod and am working on one for PSP. I do agree with the samba share from wherever your recordings/exports are stored. I am still using the xbmcmythtv script as my frontend until (if) the built-in functionality catches up.
I know how to use user jobs (for transcoding etc.) but that is not the idea behind my solution. The way MythTV assigns file names for it's recordings are quite cryptic and not user friendly at all. What you suggest is to browse the recordings directly but that would only offer one view with cryptic file names. Thats where the use of mythrename.pl with the “--link” switch kicks in. With it's help it is easy to make one or more listings based on date, title etc. by just making links in other directories. I recommencement you all to try it out just to get an idea what it has to offer.

You can use the script with default values out of the box to create one alternative listing based on the default values (it will basically sort on date and then title).or a more complex scheme. I will give you one example. Let's say that you record several series and what to be able to sort them into different folders with filenames based on date or episode name. That would be easy with the help pf the script. Another alternative could be to sort links into subfolders based on category etc. With the use of links you can actually do both without having to touch the file it self or the cryptic file name assigned by MythTV (you can use the script to actually rename the files itself but I don't recommend it because it can totally mess up MythTV and it's perception of recorded material. Much safer and more flexible to use the “--link” option.

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-08-24

Actually, that is not what I am recommended. My simple nuvexport command line provides a file name with the show name, episode, air date, etc that is easily identifiable for browsing as an XBMC video. As I said, your solution is probably more elegant. Simplicity was my goal. If you want to read more, check out this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346778&highlight=mythtv+userjob+xvid

- EmuMannen - 2008-08-24

lingenfr_xbmc Wrote:Actually, that is not what I am recommended.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346778&highlight=mythtv+userjob+xvid
Sorry! Now I get it, my fault for not reading up...

That solution was my initial option but it's main disadvantage for me was that it requires to go through a user job and those cant be run until a recording is finished. And that is efficiently blocking out the option of playing back an ongoing recording (required to watch in real time or at near real time). Renaming doesn't help either since it is impossible to rename a recording file while MythTV is recording to it. Links solve that problem since the link can be given any name without affecting the file name of the recording. A nice side effect is that it enables more than one alternative list pointing to the very same set of recorded files (e.g. one list sorted on date then title and another sorted on title then date).

Like this, e.g:

This is the recorded file: “/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/1022_20051120194900.mpg”

Lets leave it untouched but make a couple of links to it with the mythrename.pl script...

mythrename.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/listings/titles --link --format %T/%Y-%m-%d %S

Would make a link in a subdirectory named after the title with the link named with the date and subtitle...

mythrename.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/listings/categories --link --format %C/%Y-%m-%d %T-%S

Would make another link to the same recording but in a subdirectory named after the category with the link named with the date, title and subtitle...

You could now make two new sources in XBMC named; “Recordings by Title” (pointing to the subdirectories and links in /var/lib/mythtv/listings/titles) and “Recordings by Category” (pointing to the subdirectories and links in /var/lib/mythtv/listings/categories). It would make it easy to browse the same recordings by title or by category. But that is just one fictive example. There are plenty of switches for the mythrename.pl so let your imagination free. The main point though is not only that this makes it easy to browse your recorded media but also that it, together with incron, makes it possible to find and start replay of ongoing recordings. You don't have to wait until MythTV is finished recording, or transcoding. It works with auto-expire, it enables rew/ff, it is lean on resources (it doesn't take to many CPU cycles or bytes of hard drive to create these links)...

mythtv, help please!? - jako89 - 2008-09-01

Hi all,

I'm running the latest T3CH build of XBMC, and am trying to access my mythtv backend. I can access the backend, see the tv guide and see whats currently on each channel, however when i try to click to play livetv, it trys to load (loading wheel in top corner) and then does nothing. And then next time i click it says "too many consecutive failed items". I can access the backend from my other computers. I have looked around the forums, and have tried the DNS fix in the advancedsettings.xml file, with no luck.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

- the_alien - 2008-09-01

What says the xbmc.log?

- jako89 - 2008-09-02

the_alien Wrote:What says the xbmc.log?

Excuse my ignorance, I am very new at all of this. But, where is the xbmc.log file located?

- jako89 - 2008-09-02

OOPS! :o

heres a link http://web.aanet.com.au/~jakovic/xbmc.log

Still seems its a DNS issue, but ive added the advanced settings file...

Heres a link to that too http://web.aanet.com.au/~jakovic/advancedsettings.xml

- the_alien - 2008-09-02

Quote:XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: nicht wohlgeformt
Adresse: http://web.aanet.com.au/~jakovic/advancedsettings.xml
Zeile Nr. 1, Spalte 20:<advancedsettings>਀
This is what your website is telling me when i want to have a look into your XML Wink

But yeah, you still have the DNS issue.

- jako89 - 2008-09-02

okay, fixed the xml file by using an xml editor from sourceforge. However still dns issue?

(see same links with updated files)

- the_alien - 2008-09-02

Wild guess:
Maybe the host entry in the xml file is case sensitive.
Your wrote it in capital letters and xbmc is searching it in lower case...

17:36:01 M: 40734720 ERROR: DNS lookup for mythback failed: 11001

<entry name="MYTHBACK">192.168.0.2</entry>

I would give it a try Smile

- the_alien - 2008-09-02

PS: I can watch my recordings but the epg and livetv folders in xbmc are empty, I'm envy Big Grin

- jako89 - 2008-09-02

the_alien Wrote:Wild guess:
Maybe the host entry in the xml file is case sensitive.
Your wrote it in capital letters and xbmc is searching it in lower case...

17:36:01 M: 40734720 ERROR: DNS lookup for mythback failed: 11001

<entry name="MYTHBACK">192.168.0.2</entry>

I would give it a try Smile

Working PERFECTLY. Thank you for your help.

As for your problem, can you do that on another frontend (aka not xbox). Might be a config in your backend.

- the_alien - 2008-09-02

The mythtv frontend on the same machine has no problems Wink
What else do you have in mind to try? Setup another mythtv frontend on another machine?