Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-12-09

Using xorg edgers ppa for nvidia driver? Its madness pure and simple imo, the amount of other packages they install (if you do a system update) makes it impossible to track possible problems in one package alone.

x-swat for nvidia only all the way, better yet if a ppa exists where the video drivers alone are copied to excluding thus all other packages.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-09, 06:57)thethirdnut Wrote: As soon as the repository is updated to Beta 3 you shall have what you seek.

Check status here next time: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable

This will also help you cross reference what your repo is giving you after an update.

apt-cache show xbmc | grep Version

unless the default PPA used in the script was changed to the official xbmc ppa, thats not correct.

This one is: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba

and I'd strongly advise against xorg-edgers too

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-12-10

@wsnipex - Yep; my bad. Assumption on my part was that most had changed the repo to the official Beta branch already...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-09, 19:23)uNiversal Wrote: Using xorg edgers ppa for nvidia driver? Its madness pure and simple imo, the amount of other packages they install (if you do a system update) makes it impossible to track possible problems in one package alone.

x-swat for nvidia only all the way, better yet if a ppa exists where the video drivers alone are copied to excluding thus all other packages.

uNi

It's a bit more risk. But it contains newer versions of the nvidia drivers (and supports 13.04, although that holds no advantages for this howto).

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-12-11

(2012-12-10, 16:40)thethirdnut Wrote: @wsnipex - Yep; my bad. Assumption on my part was that most had changed the repo to the official Beta branch already...

Which is not a good idea if you want to have the best possible xbmc experience on linux Wink

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2012-12-11

Hi uNi. System instatlled and running nicely, as you know, thanks.

I'm looking in to sorting emulation though, so every now and then need an X environment. At the moment I move xbmc.conf from /etc/init/ to somewhere else and reboot. From a tty I can then fire startx and arrive at a very minimal X session, with xterm window. Good.

From here I may want to launch emulators, and controller configuration programs, which technically I can, but the font is *incredibly tiny*. It's not a resolution problem though, I can drop through a few modes, but the font although now larger is quite blurred and unreadable, perhaps more like a DPI issue?

Without breaking your custom install, which I'm likely very much, how can I have a one-time-boot-to-configure option?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-12-11

Hi.

I already explained to you, I dont use emulators nor do I know how to configure it and this is beyond the minimal install topic which is what this thread is for.

The forums has some guides for this. search and research and if you continue to need help open a new topic for this.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2012-12-11

I wasn't asking about emulators ... thanks.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-12-12

@n1md4

The resolution on your terminal is related to the resolution you selected for your boot splash, and that is found in /etc/default/grub. The higher the resolution the smaller the font.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2012-12-12

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that's it, as grub only effect tty, I'm wanting to effect the DPI in X. I also agree this is perhaps out of the scope of topics. Thanks again.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-12-12

Then set it in xorg.conf see last link on my signature and look at xorg.conf in the monitor section.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Burke - 2012-12-12

Hello again Smile

Bit letter then planed I finally finished installation.

Script works grate - I installed it with Croatian KB layout.

Boot is much faster then on XBMCbuntu 11 and OE 2 beta I had before.

Big thank you to all people who helped on this project - Grate work!

Now I have one problem and being a Linux noob I could really use a push in right dIrection...

I use flirc receiver to controle my XBMC box.

I can not get "wake on USB" to work following this wiki .

I have found this though.

I am not 100 % shore is this second guide OK so if anyone can confirm or point me somewhere else I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Burke

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-12-12

the 2nd guide looks ok, just make sure you replace with your USB bus and port ids.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Burke - 2012-12-12

(2012-12-12, 16:41)wsnipex Wrote: the 2nd guide looks ok, just make sure you replace with your USB bus and port ids.

Thanks for replay, much appreciated.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - jonhen - 2012-12-13

Installed last night on a JBC600 but after the install it booted to command line login so left it till this morning. Again booted to command line so ssh into it and checked the syslog but couldn't see anything that indicated what the problem was (a lot of it is way over my head anyway). Tried starting xbmc from ssh and that killed the video so rebooted and up came XBMC in all its glory. Not sure why this happened, was expecting to have to reinstall but now it boots perfectly every time.

The remote works out of the box.

Impressive. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Smile

I used UK as my locale, noted that US was originally used but UK seems to have worked for me.