Kodi Community Forum
Release YouTube Plug-in Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release YouTube Plug-in Thread (/showthread.php?tid=267160)

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - ashlar - 2016-06-21

(2016-06-20, 16:03)jdf76 Wrote: Just out of curiosity, if we were to add the ads from Youtube in, would you still use the plug-in?

Jeff
Given the opportunity to use our own keys, I'd rather maintain that. If ads would be there for people choosing not to create personal keys, fine. If you intend to take away personal keys and get everybody to watch ads, then no. Really, no.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - jmh2002 - 2016-06-21

(2016-06-21, 05:07)gotiuser01 Wrote: I was reluctant to create my own keys because I thought it could be troublesome. But it actually took me less than 10 mins, thanks to the super-friendly guide written by jmh2002, and of course the new brilliant GUI option provided by the developers.

Thank you for the kind words Nod

I have been absent for some days however after catching up on the latest posts here I see that we continue to have a problem with users who simply wish to complain, but don't want to make any effort themselves, including not even being able to read and the check the thread for a solution.

This is a pity since in general the YouTube addon works perfectly fine (I use it daily across multiple devices and OS), and most recent problems are user related.

Regarding Jeff's question in relation to ads, I think that none of us like ads and we would all prefer to avoid them if possible. However let's maybe consider this kind of like the free vs paid model that many mobile apps use. So in our case the standard YouTube with a shared quota may have ads. But you have the option of creating your own API keys to avoid this and other limitations.

Is it such a big deal?

As gotiuser01 mentioned it took less than 10 minutes to create personal keys. I had the same experience which is why I collated all of the relevant information into one simple set of instructions.

Advanced Kodi use with various third party addons often requires some effort from the user. If this is too difficult then perhaps Kodi is not for you.

THANKS to jdf76 and h0d3nt3uf3l for their continued work here. Without the collective efforts of them and other users we wouldn't even have a working YouTube addon anymore.

Let's not forget this please, and be helpful and considerate to both the other users and the developers here.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - gedisony - 2016-06-21

My kodi setup made it very hard to enter the api keys. I used my android phone:

Kore has a "Send text to media center" (upper-right corner, 3 vertical dots)

I send myself an email with the api keys, secret and id. Then copy-paste them strings to kodi.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - jmh2002 - 2016-06-21

Thanks again @gotiuser01 - here we see an example of a junior user that makes an effort, thinks, reads, checks, finds a solution, and after posts to help other users too.

My faith in others is restored when I see such simple things... Nod

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - schumi2004 - 2016-06-22

Great addon unfortunately recent Milhouse builds seem to have issues with authenticating.
Took me several tries to finally get 2 authentication screens but at the end it didn't signin.

I was also unsure if i needed .apps.googleusercontent.com for ID so tried them both without luck.
It's not such a big deal, i can live without it for now.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - MetalChris - 2016-06-22

(2016-06-22, 00:04)schumi2004 Wrote: Great addon unfortunately recent Milhouse builds seem to have issues with authenticating.
Took me several tries to finally get 2 authentication screens but at the end it didn't signin.

I was also unsure if i needed .apps.googleusercontent.com for ID so tried them both without luck.
It's not such a big deal, i can live without it for now.

If you're running test builds you might want to try what has been documented in this post. It's worked for at least a couple of users.

`Yeah i read that but i doubt now it's a Milhouse issue.
Having same issues on a Windows device.

What i did now is revoke all access earlier allowed in App control panel and re authenticated.
It seems to open a dual authentication windows but eventually it fails login.
Code:
00:15:17 T:7336   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/
00:15:17 T:7336   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/) failed
00:15:25 T:3864  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (5.2.2) on Krypton (17.0) with Python 2.7.11
00:15:55 T:7336  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
00:15:55 T:7336   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/
00:15:55 T:7336   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/) failed
00:15:55 T:2872  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (5.2.2) on Krypton (17.0) with Python 2.7.11
00:16:43 T:8352  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
00:16:43 T:8352   ERROR: CPythonInvoker(70, d:\users\timmerra\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.youtube\default.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it
00:16:43 T:7336   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/
00:16:43 T:7336   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/sign/in/) failed
00:17:13 T:7336   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/
00:17:13 T:7336   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/) failed
00:17:51 T:7336   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/
00:17:51 T:7336   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/) failed

/EDIT:
Revoked access again and did it now using build in keys on both Milhouse and Windows, for some reason it now works.
Strange, i think i create new API's, maybe something is wrong with it.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - KingsCross - 2016-06-22

(2016-06-20, 19:08)jdf76 Wrote: No the question was for the people who don't want to put in an API key. Just something to install the youtube plugin and go, no API key needed, etc etc.

In general i'm trying to investigate if adding adds to fix the API issue is something people want to do. If it's a bad idea then we know it's a bad idea, but i need more than 2 people to tell me it sucks if i'm going to get a good sample of responses.

Jeff

I'd rather the quota was reduced if possible. I seem to recall personal API affects people who can't log in via kodi (for whatever reason) and there are several people who have expressed being in that position. Adds will also cause significant slow-down on older systems many of which already struggle switching between videos as it is. If it is unavoidable, then it is unavoidable, but it would be great if there were other solutions. (The fantastic) Bromix was always working on finding ways to manage the quota, I've had the message about the limit thing before and usually just try again later. Providing it works find most of the time, then cool I guess. It's strange given all the ways to use yt these days on tablets, smart tv and stuff, that people are hammering the kodi version as much as they appear to be - or it that the quota is really small?

Either way, thanks for all the work you do on this. I'm sure its an essentual part of kodi for many of us.

Ok this definitely fixed it for me.

Deleted plugin.video.youtube folder in addon_data
Killed Kodi (Krypton)
Revoked access for Project name and Youtube TV here https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions
Opened 2 windows to youtube.com/activate (i have multiple accounts so i needed to do a few clicks extra, wanted to avoid that so went straight to the input field/window)
Launch Kodi
Entered Youtube addon settings and entered regenerated API keys from https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials (without .apps.googleusercontent.com)
Launched addon and entered code as quickly as possible.
And voila, it logged in.

Repeated above steps 3 times on 2 different machines, both connected.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - MetalChris - 2016-06-22

(2016-06-22, 00:22)schumi2004 Wrote: Revoked access again and did it now using build in keys on both Milhouse and Windows, for some reason it now works.
Strange, i think i create new API's, maybe something is wrong with it.

(2016-06-22, 00:54)schumi2004 Wrote: Ok this definitely fixed it for me.

Deleted plugin.video.youtube folder in addon_data
Killed Kodi (Krypton)
Revoked access for Project name and Youtube TV here https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions
Opened 2 windows to youtube.com/activate (i have multiple accounts so i needed to do a few clicks extra, wanted to avoid that so went straight to the input field/window)
Launch Kodi
Entered Youtube addon settings and entered regenerated API keys from https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials (without .apps.googleusercontent.com)
Launched addon and entered code as quickly as possible.
And voila, it logged in.

Repeated above steps 3 times on 2 different machines, both connected.

Glad to see you got it working. I guess sometimes persistence is the real key.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - bitbanger - 2016-06-22

(2016-06-21, 01:17)EricSol Wrote: Personal keys w/no ads. Ads simply make the experience horrible.
Same here. I would even prefer to pay a small subscription for the personal keys (to developers, or YT) than having to suffer ads.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - KingsCross - 2016-06-22

The other thing with adds is that it brings the issue of meta gathering from third parties into kodi which isn't really something that has had to be considered before. I don't know how you would even go about clearing that in kodi given that there is no front end way to do so (you can't even remove thumbnails). Presumably you would have to putty in or do intermittent clean installs.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - jdf76 - 2016-06-23

(2016-06-21, 03:11)igenena Wrote:
(2016-06-21, 03:10)OTinley Wrote: @igenena

Please stop posting directly logs or portions of logs.
This has a tendency to affect this site searches.
Please use pastebin.com or likewise and link logs.
Thanks.

surething, will use that from now onwards, thanks 4 the tip

debug log http://pastebin.com/sC0ewhyC

I'm seeing a lot of "Failed to load stuff".

Is there a VM version of LibreElec around i can use, so i can tinker with it? I don't really have a rpi available atm, so if there are some vmdk or vbox version floating around i'd be grateful to try them out.

Jeff

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - Tarkus_ - 2016-06-23

Is there any way to copy the settings from a working Jarvis install to a Krypton install and have it just start working? I've tried copying the two YouTube folders, but to no avail.

I just can't log in from the Krypton install (Fire TV Stick). Even when I do the two codes really quick, using two tabs, and appear to get them entered in plenty of time, it still doesn't log me in. For the moment, I use SPMC when I want to use the YouTube app.

RE: Official YouTube Plug-in Thread - cyborg5 - 2016-06-23

For various reasons I recently had to change by Gmail password and given the linkage between all of the Google related websites that also changed my YouTube password. When I went to Kodi I presumed it would force me to login again and I would simply reauthorize under the new password. However it did not show me as logged out. On the other hand when I tried to access my subscriptions or any of the other folders personal to me such as my channel etc. they all came up empty. When I tried to log out it would give me an error message saying "login error". Yes that's correct it said it could not login when I was trying to log out.

This was with version 5.2.2 running the latest Kodi on a Windows 10 laptop.

The only way I can get out of this was to completely uninstall the plug-in, browse to the proper folders to delete all of the user data, reinstall the plug-in, and then login using the normal two-step authentication.

I don't know if it's important or not but I had also entered my own API keys before all of this happened. Of course after uninstalling, deleting the user data folder for the plug-in, and reinstalling from scratch I had to reenter the API keys. As best I can tell they keys still work even though my password has changed. I would expect they should work and they did.

I also have Kodi running on a raspberry pi under OSMC but I've not had the opportunity to try that out yet and see if I have to do the full reinstall of the plug-in.

Anyway it's all working but I just wanted you to know that when the password changed I got hung up and had to restart.

And I will offer my deepest thanks that there are people continuing to work on this plug-in. You guys are doing a thankless job but I want to say thanks anyway.
------------
Follow-up… I tried logging into one of my raspberry pi machines and it showed me logged out of the YouTube plug-in. I was able to login normally using two-step authentication. However that particular machine was running 5.2.1 and I had not entered my own API keys. I different raspberry pi I was running 5.2.2 with API keys I had the same problem as I did with Windows laptop running 5.2.2 with API keys. So I don't know if the difference is between versions or if the difference is the presence or absence of API keys. Without starting from scratch and changing my passwords yet again I can't tell you anymore.