Kodi Community Forum
Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows (/showthread.php?tid=41129)

- kizer - 2009-02-19

Yeah Make them rather small. Sorta like this.

MiP

or

mip

I personally like the Capitol Letters because the lower case give it kinda a whimpy feeling.

Logo Idea Number 1 - JiveTalker - 2009-02-20

fekker Wrote:if you have an icon or image for the app, one will be picked from those that apply. (nothing offensive)

A had a go at knocking one up. Here's a very rough idea for a logo. There's room in the orange at the bottom to add additional information, maybe copyright or version number type info. Maybe the fonts could be tweaked too. It would be good if the "info" in info was in a font more similar to the white text on blue icons you see everywhere. Maybe less bright colours and some textures (perhaps the shiny balck effect used in the app would look good?).

Perhaps it's just a bit too jovial? Maybe"media" and "plus" should also be in the same font?

- JohnWPB - 2009-02-20

I like the above for the splash, or the logo, looking very good! I like the 2 different fonts for the MEDIA and the PLUS, just not too sure about the font for the INFO.

Here is a variation for an icon as well, using a Film Strip for the "I". Not sure whether it looks better with or without the M and the P on the sides....

- JiveTalker - 2009-02-20

JohnWPB Wrote:I like the above for the splash, or the logo, looking very good! I like the 2 different fonts for the MEDIA and the PLUS, just not too sure about the font for the INFO.

Here is a variation for an icon as well, using a Film Strip for the "I". Not sure whether it looks better with or without the M and the P on the sides....

I like the film idea in the "i" but you'd also need to make a visual reference to tv and music. Maybe the p could be a musical note and the M could be stolen from an MTV logo or is that too obscure?

Another Idea I had was to use images of the various media:

This could be done more tidily and there must be a better tv screen image more in keeping with the other two. If this was an animated GIF then the tv could maybe power on and display the application name. Alternatively, a filmreel, a cd and a tv could be used as icons to switch between media.

- fekker - 2009-02-20

i like the ideas so far, keep um coming! Animated splashscreen at startup.. hmmm.. that would be cool

joebrady Wrote:Image

just found this on google...

This button does look really cool. How about three buttons in this style each with a letter spelling MIP? The backgrounds could be different colours (maybe red, blue, green respectively. That way the I would be exactly as above, the P for plus would be on green which is usually used as positive and is therefore appropriate. The red "M" button could be animated switching between some kind of movie, tv and cd images. I thought I'd just describe this as it would take a good while to mock it up as I don't have any experience at making 3D lit buttons! If anyone things that would look good then give it a go!

fekker Wrote:i like the ideas so far, keep um coming! Animated splashscreen at startup.. hmmm.. that would be cool

Obviously the CD and filmreel could spin too, maybe when the mouse hovers over them? That could look pretty cool.

The three buttons idea red-blue-green could be slightly more obscure and not actually have letter on all three but just have the red one switch between a red cd, red filmreel and red tv, the blue i and a green button with a plus symbol, slighly reminiscent of the Electronic arts shapes logo.

Existing Clipart Icons - JiveTalker - 2009-02-20

Existing royalty free clipart

These look pretty cool but things could get expensive!

TV

/]Image

Movies

/]Image

Music

/]Image

- JohnWPB - 2009-02-20

JiveTalker Wrote:I like the film idea in the "i" but you'd also need to make a visual reference to tv and music. Maybe the p could be a musical note and the M could be stolen from an MTV logo or is that too obscure?

Good ideas, only one small problem, this is for an icon. Something that is usually just 128 pixels or less. There is only so much you can do with an icon, before it starts to look like a mess Smile

There is just not much room to work with, this is standard icons size as an example

- fekker - 2009-02-20

found this --- Photoshop Glass Tutorial

I dig the little gold people look, they shrink pretty good too

(note: I made these, so yup, I'll allow myself to use them Big Grin)

Today's dev time: 5 mins... photoshop and customization to the xbmc skin sidetracked me again..

- matthuisman - 2009-02-20

Hi,
Just noticed the MIP tv show area does not pick up SPECIAL episodes in the Season 0 folder?? Any fix for this?

Thanks,

- Nazgulled - 2009-02-20

I don't want to be a party pooper, but make sure you have permission to use those images. Otherwise that's wrong (although I'm not trying to get all moral here, you do whatever you want) and second you may have to change the logo in the future if someone happens to own the rights for any of those images and don't want you to use it.

Anyway, I liked this last one... I would just switch one of the music notes by a film reel and change that red that doesn't look that good, otherthan, I think it's perfect for MIP.

- parena - 2009-02-20

Nazgulled Wrote:I don't want to be a party pooper, but make sure you have permission to use those images.

@fekker: Speaking of the above, I was wondering how you're using IMDB. I've been looking around* and it seems they don't allow scraping of their site. They have some FTP stuff, but it looks like they don't have any really good support for fetching stuff. Or did I miss something?

* This is because I've started my own little project for an app that does the same as MIP. Not because I think I can do better than MIP (it's so much work, I've noticed, using the APIs of thetvdb.com for example), but I thought it'd be a good chance to work on my Python skills and get a bit of an introduction into Qt. I'm writing this in PyQt. Smile AND, of course, with Python and Qt being cross-platform, I can hopefully get it to do Windows (and Mac OS X) as well. First concern is a native Linux app, though. I'll be ready in 2010 I think. Big Grin

- fekker - 2009-02-20

Nazgulled Wrote:I don't want to be a party pooper, but make sure you have permission to use those images. Otherwise that's wrong (although I'm not trying to get all moral here, you do whatever you want) and second you may have to change the logo in the future if someone happens to own the rights for any of those images and don't want you to use it.

Anyway, I liked this last one... I would just switch one of the music notes by a film reel and change that red that doesn't look that good, otherthan, I think it's perfect for MIP.

The icons I made I retain full rights to, I spent the $10 on the little gold dude image (just the gold dude, not any of the other parts), and made all the others I posted from scratch. (thus the tut on how to make the glass effect in photoshop that I linked to)

- fekker - 2009-02-20

parena Wrote:@fekker: Speaking of the above, I was wondering how you're using IMDB. I've been looking around* and it seems they don't allow scraping of their site. They have some FTP stuff, but it looks like they don't have any really good support for fetching stuff. Or did I miss something?

* This is because I've started my own little project for an app that does the same as MIP. Not because I think I can do better than MIP (it's so much work, I've noticed, using the APIs of thetvdb.com for example), but I thought it'd be a good chance to work on my Python skills and get a bit of an introduction into Qt. I'm writing this in PyQt. Smile AND, of course, with Python and Qt being cross-platform, I can hopefully get it to do Windows (and Mac OS X) as well. First concern is a native Linux app, though. I'll be ready in 2010 I think. Big Grin

I pulled and parsed the list files from the ftp site for imdb, in mip's code there's an area that has a majority of the code used for that process, some was too buggy to leave in. The list files are a pain to work with, but do include the details in how to get the imdb id using a specific url with the title and year from the list files. That's where the cache comes from. The other is just parsed from the web request and displayed in MIP's custom browser dialog display (i.e. the gui), I believe I have conformed to all aspects of imdb's use of the list files as it's not for profit, does not create a web database, and only uses the list files that are permitted as outlined in each of those files.

All other sites that I pull data from has also been approved by the site. If i don't hear back from them, or they deny the request to use the content, I do not release it. There's been a few of those, which is a bummer as some really had great stuff, and never responded to multiple requests.

This is also why the next version of MIP is on hold, pending arrangements with the site for pulling music images.