Kodi Community Forum
Linux excessive CPU usage on Eden - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux excessive CPU usage on Eden (/showthread.php?tid=128343)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - poppop - 2012-07-18

Ok so I switched back to confluence. I tried to measure the stable consumption (staying on the same screen for about 1 minute without doing anything)

On main screen in Idle (not playing anything) top reports 8%.
On the artists list cpu consumption jumps to 20%
Playing a song on the main screen : 20%
Playing a song in fullscreen : 10%

The only abnormal thing to me is the 20% consumption on artists screen.
It is far less than the Aeon skin so the problem can be related to it or the way they use the rendering engine.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - FernetMenta - 2012-07-18

I think the main problem is fglrx. The CPU time is burned in glxSwapBuffers which limits the frame rate. Seems it does a busy wait. When playing a video full-screen we do not wait there.
Dirty regions alleviate this problem because rendering stops when nothing has changed. There might be a problem in Aeon skin that keeps some rendering area dirty.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - poppop - 2012-07-19

Ok so if I activate dirty regions visualization I shall see something identified to be updated on the main screen.
Do you think the solution will come from a an update of fglrx, an update of xbmc core rendering engine or an update of Aeon skins ?

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - hal2100 - 2012-07-19

Hello,

I found time to do some tests yesterday, but not too thorough. It is not a good idea to tell your wife she can't see Desperate Housewifes because you are dismantelling the HTPC Confused...

My first findings:
1. The beta 12.6 legacy fglry brings an improvement. VSync on. But how can I disable the beta info in the lower left corner?
2. Confluence brings an improvement, but I am unsure why:
- Every screen with a "normal" backdrop" (means standard backdrop in Confluence) only needs 40% CPU (roundabout).
- As soon as "dynamic" content is shown (e.g. fanart as backdrop in the library, or recent episodes in main menu), the CPU usage goes up to 80%, no difference if I use the stable or testing PVR ppa.
- CPU usage with fullscreen video (720p) is only 15-30%

Dirty regions 1 or 2 didn't make a notably difference.

--> As I am not able to understand what "visualize dirty regions" does, I have the feeling the algorithm doesn't work well. Because "dynamic" content which is not moving or changing is using up CPU power.

But maybe this is just a wrong conclusion because I see this effects only...

hal

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - FernetMenta - 2012-07-19

I have done some tests on NVidia where I can vary the GPU load by setting different de-interlacing methods. CPU load rises with getting closer to the limits of the GPU. The same movie caused CPU load in a range from 20% to 120% (Atom D525) depending on the load of the GPU.
Rendering the GUI at 60Hz puts quite a load on the GPU. From that perspective I consider a CPU utilization of 80% on e-350 as not abnormal.

Dirty regions provide a framework to decrease the load but if there is a single control which violates the rules or thinks it has to update on every cycle the entire screen has to be rendered.

Turning on dr visualizations is not a guarantee to find those controls. I discovered a problem where invisible controls caused rendering (which I have fixed) but there might me more situations. Bugs or just caused by resource-hungry skins.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - hal2100 - 2012-07-20

Hello,

I have to correct myself.
My system doesn't play video with the xbmc-pvr-testing build at all. No crashs, but stuttering and stopping of the videos. With and w/o Xvba.

I didn't see this because I just testetd the CPU usage in the menus and didn't play videos.
Sorry.

@FernetMenta: But what does visualize dr at all? I expected some red borders around the regions....

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - FernetMenta - 2012-07-20

Quote:But what does visualize dr at all? I expected some red borders around the regions....

That's exactly what it does.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - wsnipex - 2012-07-20

@hal2100, sounds like an audio issue. check your audio settings.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - thctlo - 2012-07-20

Hai,
Did nobody noticed improvement after the xorg updates the last days.
After the last update my XBMC is idle-ing at 5-10% CPU load, which is didnt have for a long time..
upgrade where xserver-xorg-core xserver-common

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - Pyromaniac - 2012-07-21

Hi, I don't know if this could be helpful for the developers, but heres a screenshot of "htop"

I took this screenshot after XBMC put my monitor to sleep after some minutes.

I hadn't this behaviour till now. The only change I've made: I've bought a NAS. XBMC looks for media via FTP-Access in this NAS.
Before the NAS, my sources have been SAMBA-Shares from Win7.

My HTPC-System:

AMD E-350
HD6310 mit 512MB Shared memory
4GB RAM
1TB HDD

Lubuntu 12.04 x64
XBMC --> https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba

EDIT: Skin: Aeon Nox
EDIT2: tested it with confluence, but the behavior with confluence is exactly the same

tvheadend --> https://github.com/andoma/tvheadend/commits/master

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - poppop - 2012-07-21

The problem is still there even after switching on Confluence. After watching some movies and returning to movie menu xbmc continues to burn 90% of the cpu.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - FernetMenta - 2012-07-22

@poppop
Now you might hit a different problem I think we have already fixed. When playing a movie and switch refresh rate CPU load might be this high. You could verify by switching to xvba-testing branch.

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - oracleguy - 2012-07-24

I'm also having this issue on an Atom D525 system with an ION2 video card. In the main menu at idle eden runs around 50-60% and in the tv shows page it hovers between 85% and 90%. If I am playing an xvid video it drops down to around 10-15%. I have vsync on, if I turn it off it goes up to 80-90% in the main menu. I turned off that add-on that was mentioned. I haven't tried turning on the dirty regions yet but as I understand it, they aren't working in the released version of Eden. I'm using Aeon Nox as my skin as well.

In the previous version the CPU usage was still higher than I liked but as soon as the blank screensaver kicked in the CPU usage drop to under 10%. Now that doesn't happen anymore on Eden. The CPU usage stays unchanged; I started using blank instead of dim because I was told that blank actually shuts off the render loop.

However if I turn on the option to power save the monitor, once that kicks in the CPU usage drops to 8% regardless of the menu location. 8% is acceptable to me when the system isn't being used. It would be nice though if the blank screensaver would achieve the same effect.

EDIT:
So I set dirty regions to 1 and set the flipout time to 1000 and now in the main menu the cpu usage is down to a respectable 16% at idle. The video menu is another story it is still at 80%. I turned on visual dirty regions and I think I know why. There is a part of the screen that is continually being marked as dirty. See: http://imgur.com/TYwPF Is this a problem that the author of the skin needs to fix?

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - poppop - 2012-07-24

@Jz: Did you already notified the author of Aeon ?

RE: excessive CPU usage on Eden - oracleguy - 2012-07-24

Edit: nevermind (seems I can't delete my post)