Kodi Community Forum
Release script.skinshortcuts - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Skin helper addons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=300)
+---- Thread: Release script.skinshortcuts (/showthread.php?tid=178294)

RE: script.skinshortcuts - loggio - 2015-10-31

Ahh I see...

Well that kinda sucks...
Perhaps the settings should save for each skin...
Then if a user want to duplicate the settings across another skin all they have to do is go to "customise home menu" and select an option to "use settings from" and then select the skin from a drop down list that you'd like to mimic.

RE: script.skinshortcuts - BobCratchett - 2015-10-31

Yup, that could possibly prove to be the best UX for a future version of the script.

The truth is, though, that this has become a ridiculously complicated script, and so the various ways that skins implement it (and features specific to that skin) have become somewhat muddled. For example, Artic Zephyr could implement the SetFocus(302) as a custom property for example (or in a couple of other ways, as well). To do what you (and, in all fairness, others) request in a way which retains the original - and overwhelming - request of keeping menu items which are shared between skins, whilst also maintaining skins to allow actions specific to that skin, needs thought. As said, there are already many override option available, but all thoughts on the subject are welcome, and we will bear in mind your own ideas when considering future updates to the script.

Having said that, implementing something which can already be done via the overrides (whether the skinner chooses to implement that or not) is probably not going to be an option. Increasing the override options where they are currently lacking - or increasing info to the skinners on what they can achieve - on the other hand, is...

Edit:- For an idea of the many override options available take a look through the docs - https://github.com/BigNoid/script.skinshortcuts/blob/master/README.md - particularly the 'Advanced usage topics' section.

RE: script.skinshortcuts - mikeSiLVO - 2015-10-31

I could be totally and completely off the mark (not having a good couple of days, I blame the drinking Tongue) but since the script saves a hash and properties file per skin and also creates a separate includes maybe just do not have a previous skin affect one with a different ID. This seems like one of those things that was meant to save time switching between skins but setting up a new skin how you like regardless of the previous ones used, I think, is part of the discovery process in what a new skin offers.

Just a random thought Wink

It's now early Saturday morning here, and Friday evening is the one evening a week my missus allows me to drink, so I blame the drinking myself, but what you say is not quite true Wink

The way the script works - due again to that overwhelming request to have menu items shared between skins as the early pages of this thread shows - is that the menu items and the properties of the menu items are split.

The menu items - the information in the .DATA.xml files - which has the action of the shortcut, it's icon, etc, are universal - which is to say, anything in these files is shared between any skin which implements Skin Shortcuts to manage the whole menu.

On top of that, there is the <skin.id>.properties file. The properties in this file - the selected background, widget and so on, are saved on a skin-by-skin basis (and use that god-awful labelID system to apply the selected skins settings when switching from another Skin Shortcuts skin).

Generally this system works well (with the exception of thumbnails, which will become part of the .properties file - rather than the .DATA.xml file - in a future version). However, when a skin requires a specific action (I'm presuming that the example given is to show the submenu by default on click), this is part of the .DATA.xml file and so is shared between all Skin Shortcuts skins.

So unless we abandon the shared menus (or implement a new UX - potentially something along the lines loggio suggests) the actions the user selects for a particular menu item will carry over to over Skin Shortcuts skins - they have nothing to do with the specific skin settings we save at this point in time.

I think I get it... The purpose is to have the main items the same but a user then needs to specify the additional action/properties/backgrounds for the items that one has already chosen as there default menu layout. If I am getting that right (really hope I am) then I wonder what would happen to a specific shortcut that links to something unique... Would that just not be seen in a new install since it is not one of the default items previously enabled?

I hope that makes sense Confused

A specific shortcut which links to an action which is specific to that skin only would be better handled by a skin-specific action override, possibly linked to a skin-specific custom-property, and quite possibly enabled via a skin-specific template.

This is the big issue that is being raised here. The actions are universal, but there are ways for a skin to override that action specifically for its purposes. If the overrides the script provides aren't sufficient, or if there is a better way to let an individual skin provide a skin-specific action, then I'm all for it. If it's a case of the skin not using the overrides that are available (and, with how complicated the overrides have become, this extends to skins not being aware of the necessary overrides) then I'd rather address the lack of information before I start to implement additional overrides Smile

If, however, it's a case of a skin providing an additional shortcut which is specific to that skin then we have a problem, and I'm very open to hearing from skinners why they feel the need to provide an action specific to their skin, and working with them to provide the necessary overrides so that the action they provide is universal, but is overridden so it provides the specific action needed for (and whilst using) their skin.

RE: script.skinshortcuts - braz - 2015-10-31

I used to have menu items that pointed to skin playlists. But they didn't work when changing skins, so I moved the playlists to my userdata folder. That's the only instance I can think of.

Edit: Or any shortcuts pointing to custom windows.

As the docs say, if you're using a VFS path then playlists should just work. If they don't then please post an example, and I'll look into it when I have time (24 to 48 hours time Wink)

Custom windows will, of course, be specific to the skin which provides those windows. As we're having a good discussion of how skin-specific features should be handled, if you have any suggestions to improve the user experience (UX) please put them forward Smile (The 'Skin Shortcuts' way would be to have them link to a universal link, then override that action either based on the specific skin, or on a custom property Wink)

I actually have no request or current noticeable issues Wink, for me everything seems to work perfectly after migrating to skin.shortcuts for the home menu Smile

I was curious and thought I would share my (admittedly uninformed) opinion I had on discovering what a newly installed skin had to offer.

I am just in a conversational/learning mood and the people around me have no interest in thought provoking discussions.

I thank you sir Bob, knight of the round table, you truly are one of the greats Nod

RE: script.skinshortcuts - braz - 2015-10-31

(2015-10-31, 03:42)BobCratchett Wrote: As the docs say, if you're using a VFS path then playlists should just work.
I was using the special: protocol, but this was quite a while ago. Will test again when I have some time. Thanks!

(2015-10-31, 03:44)mikesilvo164 Wrote: I actually have no request or current noticeable issues Wink, for me everything seems to work perfectly after migrating to skin.shortcuts for the home menu Smile

I was curious and thought I would share my (admittedly uninformed) opinion I had on discovering what a newly installed skin had to offer.

I am just in a conversational/learning mood and the people around me have no interest in thought provoking discussions.

I thank you sir Bob, knight of the round table, you truly are one of the greats Nod

In return I thank you very much sir Smile

Don't negate your opinion, though, especially on what are actually edge cases like the ones we are discussing at present. What should/shouldn't be shared between skins, the way in which it should be done, the UX when doing so, and more, are all topics that skilled skinners like yourself are eminently positioned to comment on Smile

RE: script.skinshortcuts - mikeSiLVO - 2015-11-01

(2015-10-31, 03:48)BobCratchett Wrote: In return I thank you very much sirrah Smile

Don't negate your opinion, though, especially on what are actually edge cases like the ones we are discussing at present. What should/shouldn't be shared between skins, the way in which it should be done, the UX when doing so, and more, are all topics that skilled skinners like yourself are eminently positioned to comment on Smile

Thanks so much for your kind words Bob, I do not yet consider myself to be a skilled skinner... Maybe one day Wink

For now I am happy with possibly being thought of as a moderately capable skin modder (might be too long to be attributed as such though) Tongue

P.S. Sirrah = a term used to address inferiors. While I do consider myself inferior to most, I am surprised you said as much Rofl Just Kidding! Big Grin

RE: script.skinshortcuts - BobCratchett - 2015-11-01

(2015-11-01, 05:02)mikesilvo164 Wrote: P.S. Sirrah = a term used to address inferiors. While I do consider myself inferior to most, I am surprised you said as much Rofl Just Kidding! Big Grin

Hah, not my intention at all! It's a word I picked up from my grandson and just assumed it was something nice (it certainly sounds it!) I'll tan his hide next time I see him Big Grin

RE: script.skinshortcuts - Mr. V - 2015-11-03

Hi Bob,

For Templates we can set a property based on the value of a main menu item.

Is there any way to set a property based on the value of a skin string?

Such as;

Code:
<property name="top" attribute="Skin.String(menutype)" value="vertical">300</property>

RE: script.skinshortcuts - BobCratchett - 2015-11-03

Nope, no way to do that and it wouldn't make sense to do so - the Skin.String could change after the menu (and the template) was built, but the template wouldn't reflect it until it was rebuilt.