Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon (/showthread.php?tid=108124)

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - zoydberg - 2013-05-23

i dont have amazon instant to test, but have you guys tried the hal fix
http://askubuntu.com/questions/286297/is-there-a-work-around-to-get-protected-hulu-or-amazon-prime-instant-videos-work/291150#291150

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdMsgID=Mx2VZ8P9J5EOCVZ&cdMsgNo=49&cdPage=2&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx167YET6CH0PQI#Mx2VZ8P9J5EOCVZ

sudo apt-get install hal flashplugin-installer
sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/preprobe
sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/information
/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes --verbose=yes
rm -rf ~/.adobe

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - StayXBMC - 2013-05-27

(2013-05-22, 07:22)shess757 Wrote:
(2013-05-12, 00:16)locoguano Wrote:
(2013-05-11, 23:33)StayXBMC Wrote: I caved and bought a Roku 3 today Sad . Least this way all my streaming services will keep working. Will either run Plex client on the roku, or just use my HTPC for local content and Roku 3 for my streaming content. Shame XBMC can't make some official plugins from the big streaming services available in some way...I would be very willing to pay for this functionality.

This is what I have been preaching.

I started on a Roku then over to XBMC. I had all but unplugged my Roku until Amazon made the change. I have been wondering for some time why there were no official streaming plugins. Is it XBMC or the services(corporations)? I would also be willing to pay for streaming services as well if it was available on XBMC. Oh well back to the days of using two inputs to watch my shows, thought I was finally done with that!

Just reporting back that I love the Roku 3 combined with Plex. Is the interface as nice as my HTPC XBMC? No. But it is so small and the combination gets mostly everything done I need. So while it stinks that Amazon did this, I am kinda glad as it got me to re-try Roku. I tried Roku 2xs last year with plex and found it slow and buggy. The Roku 3 has corrected all my complaints and the plex app is far more stable now.

So all's well that ends well. Thrilled to get rid of this huge HTPC, and now my streaming services are all officially supported so work beautifully without hacks. Additionally it's cool to just travel with the Roku.

Maybe one day the Roku will be hackable so XBMC can be installed, that would be perfect!

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - jrubenol - 2013-05-29

I want to suggest that everyone reading this email amazon, I doubt it will make a difference but they will not know unless we try. Perhaps if a couple hundred users send them an email they will take notice. I would suggest focusing on the legal purchase of this content, the expectation that the content would play on whatever device we choose, etc.. etc... We are not a group of piraters, we are a group of people just wanting to stream content on a device of our choosing. Here is what I wrote:

I want to voice my concern and disappointment that Amazon has chosen the horrible DRM setup that makes streaming very difficult on non proprietary machines. There is a large community of Amazon prime users who use non proprietary software to watch legally purchased/rented videos and amazon has taken this ability away from us. Devices such as XBMC, Roku, etc....now will be unable to stream content.

This being said I hope the change is made to allow these services to be used - I expect legally purchased material to run on any device that I choose to run it on and not to be pigeon holed into software/OS's that I don't want to have around.

If the change is not made before my Amazon prime expires I suspect I'll be giving up the service. Furthermore, I will be unlikely to purchase further movies/shows from your service and I will encourage others on the forums to do the same. I suggest you google a bit to see how people use your product before making these one sided changes that hurt customers.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see changes in the near future.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - DonGateley - 2013-05-29

The mention of Roku was a misfire. It is one of the sanctioned devices.

Again, I believe that the DRM situation derives not from Amazon's wishes but from the contractual requirements with the content providers. Amazon is just not going to be allowed by those providers to stream through devices that can't give them the DRM lockdown they demand.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Doctor3D - 2013-05-29

I've been using a Roku & Plex now for the last few days and i'm really enjoying it. I'm keeping my XBMC database for now, but i'll likely be using it a lot less now. With ROKU i've got all my local content via Plex as well as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and my Vudu account - in addition to all of the third party plugins like JTV and Ustream. I didn't even know that the ROKU had so much content. I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

I really suggest everyone email amazon, they responded to me. They didn't blame content provider nor themselves, they said it was an update to flash and they escalated my complaint to a higher level. If more people complain there is a good chance they'll know how many people really need their purchased material to be available on any platform.

They specifically sited a "loophole" which Adobe had closed - but said that they essentially agree that purchased material should be playable on any device. They knew about XBMC even, which was a surprise

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - invaliduser - 2013-05-29

What email addy did you use to complain to Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/187-8037097-4437804?ie=UTF8&nodeId=518316

Click "Contact Us" - you'll need to login then narrow your complaint down using drop downs. Expect an answer in <1 day. Hopefully if we can get 20+ people to email them they'll take notice

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Doctor3D - 2013-05-30

(2013-05-29, 23:30)jrubenol Wrote: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/187-8037097-4437804?ie=UTF8&nodeId=518316

Click "Contact Us" - you'll need to login then narrow your complaint down using drop downs. Expect an answer in <1 day. Hopefully if we can get 20+ people to email them they'll take notice

What is it that you expect them (Amazon) to do? This is an Adobe issue. For example, Chrome can no longer play Prime videos under Linux as of the Chrome 22 update. Chrome is a legitimate, authorized, sanctioned way to play Prime videos - and yet - there is nothing Amazon can do about it. They are telling their customers to use Firefox until Adobe or Chrome does something about it. What could they possibly do?

Adobe, on the other hand, is in direct competition with other encryption technologies to make DRM content more secure. If they don't, everyone (Content providers) will use/require HTML5 \ Silverlight, etc. - I'd hate for them to lose as I can't stand Microsoft's.

The best thing you guys can do is to keep requesting that the XBMC team work towards getting official channels like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon without all these third-party plugin hacks that work one day and are down the next every-time the provider makes a change.

A stable, authorized and routinely updated, well-maintained OFFICIAL plugin is what we should be after. We shouldn't be sending rage mails to Amazon because our hacked plugin stopped working.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - mikefreeman - 2013-05-30

(2013-05-29, 19:24)jrubenol Wrote: I really suggest everyone email amazon, they responded to me. They didn't blame content provider nor themselves, they said it was an update to flash and they escalated my complaint to a higher level. If more people complain there is a good chance they'll know how many people really need their purchased material to be available on any platform.

They specifically sited a "loophole" which Adobe had closed - but said that they essentially agree that purchased material should be playable on any device. They knew about XBMC even, which was a surprise

I find it really strange that we all get conflicting stories from Amazon about this. I've e-mailed them multiple times about this. One agent will be really nice, know about XBMC and the Amazon addon, try to help me find other ways to help me view content on Linux, and even if they can't help me they promise to pass the info along to the appropriate people so that something can be done. On the other end of the spectrum, another agent will say that their service never supported Linux, and shouldn't be expected to work on it, and that I must use only a supported device or OS. This is the first I've heard them say that it's Adobe's problem. And I've received probably 7 or 8 replies on the subject, all of them saying something different.

(2013-05-30, 02:10)Doctor3D Wrote: Adobe, on the other hand, is in direct competition with other encryption technologies to make DRM content more secure. If they don't, everyone (Content providers) will use/require HTML5 \ Silverlight, etc. - I'd hate for them to lose as I can't stand Microsoft's.

I'm thinking they will go with HTML 5 once Flash is done with. It's completely cross-platform. And since Silverlight is no longer going to be continued by Microsoft, SL would be a bad move on their part.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - jrubenol - 2013-05-30

my point is that if we say something, then at least we have companies fighting each other - which usually means change is done, either Amazon drops flash faster or flash changes their way. This of course only happens if there is enough angry customers willing to walk away from the product if they don't make the change - exactly the threat that I gave and I was definitely serious as I would never purchase material I can't view on my platform of choice

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - mikefreeman - 2013-06-04

Also, this is NOT -- I repeat -- NOT an Adobe issue. XBMC did not use Flash to view the videos. It accessed the video files directly and played them on native codecs. No, the issue is DRM. They chose to re-enable DRM for whatever purpose, and block out all devices not capable/allowed to view their DRM-encoded stream. Don't let them fool you into thinking this is someone else's problem!

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - zekeb - 2013-06-04

I had to inquire about another matter, but also used the opportunity to end my Pime auto renew based on this issue (and the fact that I find Amazon is no longer the least expensive option for many items, especially with sales tax now included). Here is the message I received from Amazon:

Quote:Hello,

I've set your Prime membership to "Do Not Renew." You can continue to enjoy Prime benefits for the remainder of your membership. At the end of your current membership period on March 6, 2014 , your membership will expire and your card won't be charged.

Thank you for reporting you can no longer watch your videos using XBMC on Linux as well as android devices. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Anna

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - LTParis - 2013-06-05

OK I got the plugin working, to a certain point. I can stream videos from Vevo and Hulu, and I know that the configuration of Amazon works because I can see purchases. However trying to play a Amazon video fails at any bandwidth settings.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - ChaOConnor - 2013-06-05

FWIW, when I contacted Amazon about the Prime issue on XBMC.

Quote:Hello,

I'm sorry, at this time, streaming or downloading Amazon Instant Video titles isn't supported on XBMC.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an exact time frame when this is going to happen. However, I’ve forwarded your feedback to our Instant video team as we plan for future improvement.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve our Amazon Instant Video service.

For other ways to watch Amazon Instant Video, go to our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help/watchingamazoninstantvideos

Thanks for your understanding in this regard. We look forward to seeing you again soon.