Kodi Community Forum
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 17:17)Edworld Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 16:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 01:54)Edworld Wrote: Ive using Kodi for 10+ years and have Jurialmunkey's skin installed with his helper. I get to see all the ratings available for any given movie. I also use media companion to manage art and NFO's.

I use Dune's player for all my content.
Are you the author of the link you posted?   Do you have this box?  If so, did you test Kodi running under Android??
I didn't write the review, I follow a couple of dune Russian forums and found the review.

I would like to purchase this box but waiting for it to process FEL correctly, basically waiting for Saving Private Ryan to not flicker using the Dune Player.

I use my UHD version of "Saving Pvt. Ryan" to test my sound system.  I really have not noticed any flickering when playing on my other devices.  Maybe I just don't see it.....
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Edworld - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 17:27)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 16:53)clarkss12 Wrote: Are you the author of the link you posted?   Do you have this box?  If so, did you test Kodi running under Android??
I didn't write the review, I follow a couple of dune Russian forums and found the review.

I would like to purchase this box but waiting for it to process FEL correctly, basically waiting for Saving Private Ryan to not flicker using the Dune Player.

I use my UHD version of "Saving Pvt. Ryan" to test my sound system.  I really have not noticed any flickering when playing on my other devices.  Maybe I just don't see it.....
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

Both my Dune realvision and Zidoo z9X flicker on the opening of the movie, the sky flickers.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 17:43)Edworld Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 17:27)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 17:17)Edworld Wrote: I didn't write the review, I follow a couple of dune Russian forums and found the review.

Both my Dune realvision and Zidoo z9X flicker on the opening of the movie, the sky flickers.

I guess I never noticed.

(2024-02-13, 16:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 01:54)Edworld Wrote: Ive using Kodi for 10+ years and have Jurialmunkey's skin installed with his helper. I get to see all the ratings available for any given movie. I also use media companion to manage art and NFO's.

I use Dune's player for all my content.
Are you the author of the link you posted?   Do you have this box?  If so, did you test Kodi running under Android??

Have you tested that video using UHD disc player, to see if it has the same issue?

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Edworld - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 18:42)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-13, 16:53)clarkss12 Wrote: Are you the author of the link you posted?   Do you have this box?  If so, did you test Kodi running under Android??

Have you tested that video using UHD disc player, to see if it has the same issue?

Actual disc doesn't have that problem.

One player that can handle FEL correctly is the chinoppo

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 19:37)Edworld Wrote: is the chinoppo

*if you can get your hands on one without being scammed or scalped

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - selfcontained - 2024-02-13

Perhaps the better solution would be to buy a used Sony UBP-X800M2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/166577758201 and use a USB-connected HDD or, better still, a DLNA server over 5GHz WiFi

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 21:40)selfcontained Wrote: and use a USB-connected HDD or, better still, a DLNA server over 5GHz WiFi

i do own a Sony UBP* but the files interface used with USB and DLNA is a completely terrible experience https://youtu.be/VEWQa9XAeQQ?t=269

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - selfcontained - 2024-02-13

Oh that is awful. I thought DLNA servers (Jellyfin, Plex Media Server, Universal Media Server, Mezzmo, et. al. had Kodi-esque metadata & graphics scraping with a presentation similar to Kodi? Or is that entirely dependent on the DMP (Digital Media Player), DMR (Digital Media Renderer) device?

(2024-02-13, 22:19)selfcontained Wrote: Oh that is awful. I thought DLNA servers (Jellyfin, Plex Media Server, Universal Media Server, Mezzmo, et. al. had Kodi-esque metadata & graphics scraping with a presentation similar to Kodi? Or is that entirely dependent on the DMP (Digital Media Player), DMR (Digital Media Renderer) device?

think of DLNA as not much more than a transport and not much different than NFS/SMB
jellyfin, mezzmo, plex may use it as a playback transport but use other means to deliver the interface and metadata
devices that have a DLNA client simply list the contents with no metadata as you saw in that video, the DLNA client in my samsung TVs is pretty much identical to that boring plain file listing Sony does

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - jbinkley60 - 2024-02-13

(2024-02-13, 22:27)izprtxqkft Wrote: think of DLNA as not much more than a transport and not much different than NFS/SMB
It's quite a bit more than that.  UPnP / HTTP(s) are the transport protocols.  DLNA is the higher level application layer protocol and metadata schemas for sharing certain ifnromation between DLNA servers and clients.
(2024-02-13, 22:27)izprtxqkft Wrote: jellyfin, mezzmo, plex may use it as a playback transport but use other means to deliver the interface and metadata
devices that have a DLNA client simply list the contents with no metadata as you saw in that video, the DLNA client in my samsung TVs is pretty much identical to that boring plain file listing Sony does

Yep, 100% correct.  GUI rendering, metadata parsing and many other features are all in the client.  That is often what separates the capabilities of various DLNA setups.

Thanks,

Jeff

(2024-02-13, 22:35)jbinkley60 Wrote: It's quite a bit more than that.  UPnP / HTTP(s) are the transport protocols.  DLNA is the higher level application layer protocol and metadata schemas for sharing certain ifnromation between DLNA servers and clients.

accepted with the caveat that most clients don't leverage much in the way of metadata from DLNA, not in terms of artwork and movie description the way you expect a Media Center to display

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - selfcontained - 2024-02-14

Thank you @izprtxqkft and @jbinkley60 for the insight. I used a DLNA server a long time ago (twonky) to a roku (using roku's built-in client) with the same sort of filename list-based user experience. I haven't looked into DLNA since. I (wrongly) assumed the server "cast" the metadata & graphics to the receiver-side. I see that DMP & DMR do all the magic.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-14

Looks like the Minix U22-XJ & Ugoos AM6 Plus now support FEL with CoreELEC?

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - jbinkley60 - 2024-02-16

(2024-02-09, 12:11)jbinkley60 Wrote: I did find a few minutes to get my new Raspberry Pi 5 built, LibreElec loaded and had Kodi sync with my Mezzmo database (~22k items).  Total build time was about an hour or so.  My initial testing with it has been surprisingly good and I've updated my endpoint performance Wiki page.  Right now the Raspberry Pi 5 is the fastest device I have tested rendering a 150 item playlist at 106 items/sec.  This is over 5Ghz wireless and is faster than my PC,  Intel i7 NUC and others which are 1Gig Ethernet connected.  This aligns to the optimizations mentioned for the Raspberry Pi 5. 

The database sync time was almost as fast as my desktop PC running Kodi with an SSD and came in at around 9 minutes .  The Raspberry Pi is running off of an SD card.  I have an NVME hat coming and will try moving the Kodi database to it to see if there is a performance boost.  My Raspberry Pi 4 testing for the same database sync was 19 minutes.

I tested full bitrate h264 1080P and full bitrate h265 UHD 4K, including the John Wick 2 car chase scene which hits over 100mbps.   The highest CPU utilization I have seen is around 15% when playing 1080P Blu-Ray h264 rips, which the Raspberry Pi 5 renders in software.  Full bitrate h265 CPU utilization was about 5% and I confirmed HW decoding is being used. I also tested 1080i MPEG2 12mbps OTA streams and CPU utilization was low and playback smooth.  There were no issues with FF/RW, jumps or skips with any playback and again this was all over 5Ghz WiFi from my Mezzmo server.

I haven't done anything with audio pass-through testing yet, since this was all done in a few minutes using a computer monitor with speakers.  I'll try to find some time to do additional audio testing. 

Overall I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Raspberry Pi 5.

After a few minor challenges I was able to add a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME SSD to my Raspberry Pi 5 using a Geekworm X1001 hat.  I moved the Kodi database to it and didn't really see much in the way of performance improvements,  I thought I might see it in the full database Mezzmo <--> Kodi sync process which is storage usage read/write intensive.  Regardless having an NVME for a Raspberry Pi is a big improvement over SD cards for reliability, which is very important for folks using them as stand-alone Kodi solutions. 

Overall the Raspberry Pi 5 with an NVME was slightly more expensive than my Beelink B12 N100 box and took a bit more "Geek time" to assemble and get working but otherwise I can't really knock it.  I haven't tested the display at 4K but have tested it playing 4K content and downscaling to 1080P.  Performance has been good in this test setup. 

Thanks,

Jeff