Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - linkinsoldier - 2017-02-19

(2017-02-19, 00:29)garbear Wrote: I created the Games section. It's currently blank because I'm not a skinner Smile We could follow the Movie section, by showing folders of existing ROMs, but I would really like to focus it on game discovery. Such as showing popular games from add-ons, or similar titles to ones you own.

How do you think the Games section on the homescreen should work? Because we have a blank slate, anything is possible!

Well from the top of my head I would make a mixture between the current addon section, TV shows section and my screen from above:

First row: the game addon icon (your first link) which shows all stand alone game addons (shortcut) , right next to it the "my addons" button and "install from repo" similar to the addon section. Forth button would be a "list all" (list all found roms to select and play) sorted by either name or system!

Second raw I would list all console categories for which roms are found, similar to my screen but in one raw (Gameboy, snes, nes, n64,...). They should be sorted by last used (last used first) and be present with an icon of the system.

Next row: I would list the last played games (last used first)

Next row: I like your idea to discover new games, so I would present candidates for new games here (based on the last played games and games found on the system). Data privacy should be applied and I am not sure what legal terms are for the last raw...

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - Julipo - 2017-02-19

I Don't see the last row... I think that, that will be better a variant of the 3ยบ row: "Recent active save states", that shows the last active save states using the savestate screenshot as icon, and if it can have some decoracion, the Game Addon or platform in a corner. It only shows the last actives savestates, so the games can be dup:
Game1_S4, Game1_S2, Game2_S1, Game1_S3, Game1_S1

About the game metadata and Kodi integration: It will permit filter games with Language and Region filters? (some games are multi-language, and have N lanaguages, and some are multi-region).
For example, you have (all available in no-intro datfiles):
- Game A (ENG, ESP, FR) (World)
- Game B (ENG) (USA)
- Game B (FR, ESP, JP) (EUR, Japan)

So I say "Filter by lanaguage FR" it will hide the second row.

Actually almost all front ends are game based (not rom), and they only say "you have game A and game B", doesn't diferenciate the different versions from different regions and with different languages, so they can't handle a full rom set (and you need to extract some of the titles)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-02-19

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: First row: the game addon icon (your first link) which shows all stand alone game addons (shortcut) , right next to it the "my addons" button and "install from repo" similar to the addon section. Forth button would be a "list all" (list all found roms to select and play) sorted by either name or system!

So:
  • Standalone game add-ons
  • My add-ons
  • Install from repo
  • All games

for the first row?

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Second raw I would list all console categories for which roms are found, similar to my screen but in one raw (Gameboy, snes, nes, n64,...). They should be sorted by last used (last used first) and be present with an icon of the system.

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Next row: I would list the last played games (last used first)

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Next row: I like your idea to discover new games, so I would present candidates for new games here (based on the last played games and games found
on the system). Data privacy should be applied and I am not sure what legal terms are for the last raw...

So:

Second row: Game systems in MRU (most recently used) order

Third row: games in MRU order

Fourth row: Game discovery

This was pretty much what I had in mind.

(2017-02-19, 17:17)Julipo Wrote: "Recent active save states", that shows the last active save states using the savestate screenshot as icon, and if it can have some decoracion, the Game Addon or platform in a corner. It only shows the last actives savestates, so the games can be dup:
Game1_S4, Game1_S2, Game2_S1, Game1_S3, Game1_S1

I like the idea of showing savestates on the home window. What about in-game saves (SRAM saves) for emulators that don't support savestates?

(2017-02-19, 17:17)Julipo Wrote: About the game metadata and Kodi integration: It will permit filter games with Language and Region filters?

This is planned, yes.

(2017-02-19, 17:17)Julipo Wrote: Actually almost all front ends are game based (not rom), and they only say "you have game A and game B", doesn't diferenciate the different versions from different regions and with different languages, so they can't handle a full rom set (and you need to extract some of the titles)

This is important. I plan to abstract ROMs away and just have game titles. If multiple ROMs have the same title (regions, translations, hacks, etc.) then there will be a way to launch the different versions from the same title item.

How does this break rom sets?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - linkinsoldier - 2017-02-19

(2017-02-19, 19:38)garbear Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: First row: the game addon icon (your first link) which shows all stand alone game addons (shortcut) , right next to it the "my addons" button and "install from repo" similar to the addon section. Forth button would be a "list all" (list all found roms to select and play) sorted by either name or system!

So:
  • Standalone game add-ons
  • My add-ons
  • Install from repo
  • All games

for the first row?

Exactly. One could discuss if the second button should be only game related addons (I would prefer this) or all addons, but I am not sure how easy this would be to realise!

(2017-02-19, 19:38)garbear Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Second raw I would list all console categories for which roms are found, similar to my screen but in one raw (Gameboy, snes, nes, n64,...). They should be sorted by last used (last used first) and be present with an icon of the system.

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Next row: I would list the last played games (last used first)

(2017-02-19, 02:48)linkinsoldier Wrote: Next row: I like your idea to discover new games, so I would present candidates for new games here (based on the last played games and games found
on the system). Data privacy should be applied and I am not sure what legal terms are for the last raw...

So:

Second row: Game systems in MRU (most recently used) order

Third row: games in MRU order

Fourth row: Game discovery

This was pretty much what I had in mind.

Awesome [emoji106] how can I help?
Really looking forward to this!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - Julipo - 2017-02-20

(2017-02-19, 19:38)garbear Wrote: This is important. I plan to abstract ROMs away and just have game titles. If multiple ROMs have the same title (regions, translations, hacks, etc.) then there will be a way to launch the different versions from the same title item.

The problem is that some front ends are very "simple" in that aspect and they can't handle multiple versions. If you group all roms by name (in "official" versions you can use no-intro parent-clone dats to handle this) but then you permit select versions (giving some priority for sorting, like languages and/or regions) its OK.

The problem comes when systems like EmulationStation can't handle this. It only shows 2 times the same game, so you didn't know who is what:
The Legend Of Lucas - Piano of Nothing
... ok but what is what?

If you provide a select version menu/window that shows all versions indicating some metadata (languages flags/texts, regions flags/texts, the original file name) it will be a very good solution.
--->
1) Region: Europe, Languages: En, Fr De
2) Region: Europe, Languages: En, Fr De, Version: A
3) Region: USA, Languages: En
4) Region: USA, Languages: En, Version A
5) Region: USA, Languages: En, Version B

Or use the file name + some icons for languages and/or regions
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (Europe) (En,Fr,De)
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Rev A)
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA)
[USA ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA) (Rev A)
[USA ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA) (Rev B)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - h3llrais3r - 2017-02-20

(2017-02-19, 00:29)garbear Wrote: I created the Games section. It's currently blank because I'm not a skinner Smile We could follow the Movie section, by showing folders of existing ROMs, but I would really like to focus it on game discovery. Such as showing popular games from add-ons, or similar titles to ones you own.

How do you think the Games section on the homescreen should work? Because we have a blank slate, anything is possible!

I've created a feature request in the estuary forum (see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=262603&pid=2531423#pid2531423). It would be nice to have a view that fully makes use of the games artwork. (like http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307462)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - karl_87 - 2017-02-21

(2017-02-20, 00:01)Julipo Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 19:38)garbear Wrote: This is important. I plan to abstract ROMs away and just have game titles. If multiple ROMs have the same title (regions, translations, hacks, etc.) then there will be a way to launch the different versions from the same title item.

The problem is that some front ends are very "simple" in that aspect and they can't handle multiple versions. If you group all roms by name (in "official" versions you can use no-intro parent-clone dats to handle this) but then you permit select versions (giving some priority for sorting, like languages and/or regions) its OK.

The problem comes when systems like EmulationStation can't handle this. It only shows 2 times the same game, so you didn't know who is what:
... ok but what is what?

If you provide a select version menu/window that shows all versions indicating some metadata (languages flags/texts, regions flags/texts, the original file name) it will be a very good solution.
--->
1) Region: Europe, Languages: En, Fr De
2) Region: Europe, Languages: En, Fr De, Version: A
3) Region: USA, Languages: En
4) Region: USA, Languages: En, Version A
5) Region: USA, Languages: En, Version B

Or use the file name + some icons for languages and/or regions
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (Europe) (En,Fr,De)
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Rev A)
[EU ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA)
[USA ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA) (Rev A)
[USA ICON] Legend of Lucas, The - Piano of Nothing (USA) (Rev B)

This is a dream feature, would be amazing to browse through different versions of the same game - this has been a problem of other frontends forever! This could also include Hacks - So Super Mario World would have the option of different regions, and then different hacks, all under the same title. Would be amazing!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - martinconroy - 2017-02-21

(2017-02-21, 12:41)karl_87 Wrote: This is a dream feature, would be amazing to browse through different versions of the same game - this has been a problem of other frontends forever! This could also include Hacks - So Super Mario World would have the option of different regions, and then different hacks, all under the same title. Would be amazing!

This may be of interest to you until this is available in Kodi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SpWsDUB-s&feature=youtu.be&t=12s

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - linkinsoldier - 2017-02-25

I found a bug in the mapping of the controller buttons:

1) for some reason I can't set a gameboy mapping (only advanced)
2) when I try to set the kodi buttons I can't map the button B with the square on the ps3 controller!

3) when I try to ignore the button mapped with "back" in kodi, it will always stop the ignoring option instead of ignoring it...!

Is there a way to fix this? Shall I create a github issue for this (in which section?)?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - benbour - 2017-02-27

This is coming along nicely! I wish I could use as a DD but I use Emby and it isn't compatible with latest build. I'm going to setup LibreELEC in a VM and see what I can get working.

I did try out the windows version with IARL and everything works ok except for my controller's D-pad, non-responsive in game but does work within Kodi. It's an 8BITDO NES30 as seen here:

https://www.amazon.ca/NES30-Controller-GamePad-Compatible-Android/dp/B00MB6CNN8

Anyone else using something similar? I had the same issue with the controller in Retroarch on OE...

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - MacGyver - 2017-02-28

I have that same controller and it works fine via Bluetooth on LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20170211224117-#0211-g2c59d7d, haven't tried the newer builds yet. It is Kodi 18 and not Windows.

Full disclosure: It does skip over the right shoulder button when setting up the buttons, so I do have to go back and redo that single button afterwards but they all work fine after that.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - stevieday - 2017-03-11

is there a retroplayer build for android as i can only see this file and ive looked through the whole threads..ty

Android: kodi-20161224-67f7881-script-test-armeabi-v7a.apk

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - User 55003 - 2017-03-12

This is coming along really well. Nice move on getting most of the controller work done early!
I'm happy with a file system source for games, but I'll get shot down for that, for sure! Smile
A CRT filter and maybe a couple of overlays and I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone involved. Smile

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-12

Sorry for the lack of builds in the last few months. When I get a chance I'll upload some new 17.0 builds with 11 of my input PRs for 17.1 backported. I most likely won't do any more 17 builds because I want to start doing 18.0 alpha builds.

(2017-03-12, 12:31)Steveb Wrote: A CRT filter and maybe a couple of overlays and I'm happy.

Since seeing a CRT and a bilinear filter side-by-side, I see the value in having this feature. It's on a long list of things to be done, but I hope to get to it someday.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - RockerC - 2017-03-13

(2017-03-12, 17:58)garbear Wrote:
(2017-03-12, 12:31)Steveb Wrote: A CRT filter and maybe a couple of overlays and I'm happy.
Since seeing a CRT and a bilinear filter side-by-side, I see the value in having this feature. It's on a long list of things to be done, but I hope to get to it someday.
Cool!

Hope that Kodi will be able to reuse shader filters from RetroArch Cg/HLSL/Slang shaders collections similar to how it uses Libretro game cores?

https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders

https://github.com/libretro/slang-shaders

"These shaders are usable by either HLSL and/or Cg runtime compilers. The cg2glsl script will translate most of these into GLSL shaders."