Kodi Community Forum
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? (/showthread.php?tid=10023)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - dhead - 2015-02-27

Up to 1.5x FF is lame.

I can only watch the EEVblog at 2x speed (and sometimes I wish I could speed Dave a little bit more: ) ).

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - RekiM - 2015-03-20

I would also like this feature. As a workaround I've been using MPV as an external player. With MPV you can speed up the video and it will automatically adjust the audio pitch/tempo.

Here's some basic instructions for Windows:
- You can downlad MPV from http://mpv.io/
- The Windows binary downloads are here: http://mpv.srsfckn.biz
- Extract to "C:\Program Files\MPV\" (or whatever path you want)
- Create a file called "playercorefactory.xml" in your "UserData" folder.
- Add the following to playercorefactory.xml:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPV Fastplay" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\MPV\mpv.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" --speed=1.33 --fs</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

I set the default speed to 1.33x, but you can use the [ and ] keys to increase and decrease the speed during playback.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nvps - 2015-04-07

I think it's function that many people want.
Why low priority?

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - bry - 2015-04-07

(2015-04-07, 13:45)nvps Wrote: I think it's function that many people want.
Why low priority?

because this is all volunteer work done for free and the devs prioritize the features they want (as they should).

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - boblfoot - 2015-04-29

I also would like to see this feature

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nonamez78 - 2015-05-16

a kind of time stretch feature (for instance like the "tempo" option from sox) would be very, very useful for a pal speed up. in my case 24p material played at 25fps is very smooth, 24p looks choppy in my eyes. currently I'm playing 24p material at 60 hz with resampled audio (0,1% faster). the sound is ok with 0,1% error, but the picture is still not perfectly smooth (I'm using a samsung 75F8090). I have the same issue on an 65" philips tv (9000 series).
currently I'm using the openelec distribution on a intel NUC what is working great. changing to an external player is not easy/possible with openelec.

with the desired time stretch feature the error would be 4,xx % but this is completely normal on PAL television.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - tixx - 2015-06-02

Ive currently got kodi running on a windows box hooked up to a projector for movies, but havnt been using it for tv shows because of the fact it doesnt support fast playback.

Does the mpv workaround work for openelec versions of kodi? Thinking either putting in a rpi box or an android box with kodi, but would like to know if this type of workaround is available on those platforms too before i try.

Cheers

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - freespirit - 2015-06-26

(2015-04-07, 16:37)bry- Wrote:
Why low priority?

because this is all volunteer work done for free and the devs prioritize the features they want (as they should).

To encourage the developers, I set a bounty for that feature. I will pay the dev who implements that feature 20 $/€ or if the dev so wishes donate the amount to the project. The dev can choose the currency...
I hope some others will follow and put up a bounty as well so that there will be progress on that soon Wink

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - popcornmix - 2015-06-26

(2015-05-16, 10:38)nonamez78 Wrote: a kind of time stretch feature (for instance like the "tempo" option from sox) would be very, very useful for a pal speed up. in my case 24p material played at 25fps is very smooth, 24p looks choppy in my eyes. currently I'm playing 24p material at 60 hz with resampled audio (0,1% faster). the sound is ok with 0,1% error, but the picture is still not perfectly smooth (I'm using a samsung 75F8090).

That should be supported. Make sure "sync playback to display" is enabled. Disable audio passthrough. Either disable "adjust display refresh to match video frame rate" and choose a 50Hz mode, or set up an adjustrefreshrate override (http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml) to make the switch automatic. I believe a speed adjustment of up to 5% is allowed to sync video to display.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - tixx - 2015-07-01

(2015-06-26, 12:21)freespirit Wrote:
(2015-04-07, 16:37)bry- Wrote:
Why low priority?

To encourage the developers, I set a bounty for that feature. I will pay the dev who implements that feature 20 $/€ or if the dev so wishes donate the amount to the project. The dev can choose the currency...
I hope some others will follow and put up a bounty as well so that there will be progress on that soon Wink

ill chip in some money for that too. well worth the hassle. especially if its supported across all platforms.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nickr - 2015-07-01

I think you misjudge the motivation of kodi developers.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - pozmu - 2015-07-15

It's a must.
Using Kodi I can access VOD services with some soaps/ less interesting shows that I would like to watch but only on 1.3 speed to not waste too much time...

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Pisomojado - 2015-08-17

I will contribute to the bounty. $20 to see this feature, so I don't have to keep using VLC as an external player, which boasts up to 4x playback with audio.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Ken_Fallon - 2015-08-24

I would like to see this feature implemented in Kodi. I doubt that I would use this for watching movies, but my use case it watching video podcasts, FLOSS video presentations, youtube tutorials etc. As a avid podcast listener and contributor, I cram more podcasts into the day by speeding them up. This works very well, and over time I gradually increased the speed to 4x while maintaining the pitch ( ie no chipmunk ). There are many members of the deaf community, who rely on audio more who listen at speeds far faster than this.

I do this for audio using:
sox example.mp3 example.ogg" tempo 1.5

or for audio and video using mplayer
mplayer -af scaletempo

The speed up function allows me to quickly watch quickly through to parts of a presentations that are introductions, rehashes of known material, or advertisements. If I come across a part where I need to concentrate, then pressing "backspace" will play the video at normal speed.

It would be fantastic if Kodi could support this as it would make a fantastic podcasting platform.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - tixx - 2015-08-28

any word if this might be a feature included in jarvis?
surely its time will come Smile

or would it be easier to implement external players so theyre more tightly integrated into kodi wihtin the interface etc like dsplayer?

either or would work for me, but its needs to be streamlined into the interface and not just pop up an external player