Kodi Community Forum
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? (/showthread.php?tid=10023)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Memphiz - 2015-08-28

nope for 16.x as far as i see.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - jawadshaik - 2015-08-28

Certainly would be a great feature for Kodi - functionality should be similar to VLC/VideoLAN player which gives I believe up to 4x speed with Audio.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Memphiz - 2015-08-28

yep

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Therealmr_cooper - 2015-08-29

I agree this is a must for binge watch seasons at a time. love watching the big bang a 1.5-2.0x speed.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nickr - 2015-08-29

Alas it seems this is not going to be in kodi soon, or perhaps ever. If you want a fully fledged media player with metadata etc and speedup, try mythtv.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - tixx - 2015-08-31

yeah im starting to think the same. its a shame really that a feature that would be heavily used more so than many others that kodi currently offers, is blatantly refused into the project.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Saxtus - 2015-08-31

"Refused" is too strong word. "Nobody knows how to implement it to the current engine" seems more appropriate.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - FernetMenta - 2015-08-31

(2015-08-31, 06:43)Saxtus Wrote: "Refused" is too strong word. "Nobody knows how to implement it to the current engine" seems more appropriate.

That is not correct either. I do know but I have different priorities. If someone wants to work on this I am happy to provide guidance.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - popcornmix - 2015-08-31

(2015-08-31, 08:07)FernetMenta Wrote: That is not correct either. I do know but I have different priorities. If someone wants to work on this I am happy to provide guidance.

I might have a play with this at some point.

Would the plan be to work with "sync playback to display" enabled (and so audio is resampled).
Then mess with CVideoReferenceClock::GetTime to adjust the timebase (i.e. make the clock run at 150% normal speed).
I seem to remember there was a max resampling limit (possibly 5%), although I can't currently find that which may need increasing.

Or would a new audio/video scheme make more sense?
Obviously this new scheme wouldn't work with passthrough and wouldn't support video synced to display.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - FernetMenta - 2015-08-31

The bits are already there. DVD_PLAYSPEED_NORMAL is 1000 so this parameter including the clock will accept values between 1100 and 1500. I think video is fine and does not need any changes. For audio you need to force resampling in this case (and disable passthrough). The closed loop controller for audio sync may need adjustments, maybe increase tolerances. Currently we mute audio if play speed != normal, this needs a change as well.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Shogunreaper - 2015-09-01

only thing i miss about watching things on my ps3 was the seamless fastforwarding\rewinding it had.

kodi likes to screw up with just basic video fast forwarding, i can't see how this would work well with audio too.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - popcornmix - 2015-09-01

(2015-08-31, 22:09)FernetMenta Wrote: The bits are already there. DVD_PLAYSPEED_NORMAL is 1000 so this parameter including the clock will accept values between 1100 and 1500. I think video is fine and does not need any changes. For audio you need to force resampling in this case (and disable passthrough). The closed loop controller for audio sync may need adjustments, maybe increase tolerances. Currently we mute audio if play speed != normal, this needs a change as well.

Here is my first attempt.
I've stolen the first fastforward step for now, and set it to playspeed=1500.

I've removed the muting logic, and video plays 50% faster, but audio stays at (roughly) normal speed with chunks dropped.

I've been playing with the speed filtering constants here,
but the best I've got is cycling between chipmunks and Barry White. Any sugestions for something that would work for playspeed=1500?

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - FernetMenta - 2015-09-02

I think adjusting the filter parameters is the challenge here. I would also change (increase) the thresholds that trigger sync mode: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDPlayerAudio.cpp#L652

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nickr - 2015-09-02

It's really nice to see someone working on this. Thanks popcornmix and fernetmenta.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - curtisgibby - 2015-09-03

(2015-09-02, 21:27)nickr Wrote: It's really nice to see someone working on this. Thanks popcornmix and fernetmenta.

Hear hear! Thanks guys! I wish you luck in getting it into production.