Kodi Community Forum
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? (/showthread.php?tid=10023)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Landstander - 2016-08-28

(2016-08-27, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote: did anyone actually read FernetMentas post? This feature is now available in nightly builds natively. No need to external players...

For what devices and how do you get it? How do you enable it?
Details were sketchy.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - scott967 - 2016-08-31

I would like to thank devs for providing this feature. I haven't tested extensively, but it seems to work as advertised. But I have a request/suggestion:

When in FullScreenVideo assume user has mapped keys to tempoup/tempodown. When user inputs command I would like to popup a dialog showing what the current speed is (eg, if current is 1.1 and user hits tempoup, popup 1.2). I can't figure out any way to do this. If the user instead uses ffwd or rwd, somehow (assume from core) DialogSeekBar pops up. But it doesn't do that for tempo change. If it did then skin could display the new tempo like we do now for forward 2x, backward 2x etc.

scott s.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - FernetMenta - 2016-08-31

(2016-08-31, 04:16)scott967 Wrote: I would like to thank devs for providing this feature. I haven't tested extensively, but it seems to work as advertised. But I have a request/suggestion:

When in FullScreenVideo assume user has mapped keys to tempoup/tempodown. When user inputs command I would like to popup a dialog showing what the current speed is (eg, if current is 1.1 and user hits tempoup, popup 1.2). I can't figure out any way to do this. If the user instead uses ffwd or rwd, somehow (assume from core) DialogSeekBar pops up. But it doesn't do that for tempo change. If it did then skin could display the new tempo like we do now for forward 2x, backward 2x etc.

scott s.

The info is already provided to skins. They just need to display it.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - scott967 - 2016-08-31

(2016-08-31, 17:50)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-08-31, 04:16)scott967 Wrote: I would like to thank devs for providing this feature. I haven't tested extensively, but it seems to work as advertised. But I have a request/suggestion:

scott s.

The info is already provided to skins. They just need to display it.

There's no way to determine that the tempo has changed, only that it is in effect via info bool Player.IsTempo. Once Player.IsTempo is true, I don't see any way to trigger a popup on a change to Player.Playspeed. Currently I display Player.Playspeed on the video OSD, but that takes more user clicks. I just want a momentary (eg set by animation) popup when Player.Playspeed changes while Player.IsTempo remains true.

scott s..

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - FernetMenta - 2016-09-03

I see what you mean. We could show the DialogSeekBar but then we need to get rid of the the bitmaps and info bools showing 2x,4x,8x, ... and replace those by a label showing play speed.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - scott967 - 2016-09-07

(2016-09-03, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: I see what you mean. We could show the DialogSeekBar but then we need to get rid of the the bitmaps and info bools showing 2x,4x,8x, ... and replace those by a label showing play speed.

I did some more code searching, and I see for Python and I guess JSON interface there is a notification onPlayBackSpeedChanged which seems to be aimed at this type of use case but from the code it seems to be using a var iSpeed integer value so I'm assuming it won't work for tempo changes.

Also after some use I went back to the PR and saw a question about resuming from pause; it does seem like resume should keep the tempo setting but even the way it is now is OK but if I had the notification it would help keep user "up to speed" as it were.

So something like the script.skin.helper addon that provides some python assist to skins could handle this notification dialog popup I guess.

scott s.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - raven6679 - 2016-09-12

(2016-08-27, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote: did anyone actually read FernetMentas post? This feature is now available in nightly builds natively. No need to external players...
Is it not only for Pi/OpenELEC builds? Or am I missing something?
I am subscribed to this thread and reading it actively, but as far as I know, there is no implementation of this feature in Windows build?
Or am I wrong?

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - scott967 - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 09:21)raven6679 Wrote:
Is it not only for Pi/OpenELEC builds? Or am I missing something?
I am subscribed to this thread and reading it actively, but as far as I know, there is no implementation of this feature in Windows build?
Or am I wrong?

wrong. Just make sure in Settings / Player / Videos you have "sync playback to display" active/on. Note that using this disables passthrough, but that should be kind of obvious as the audio has to be matched to the video speed.

scott s.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - raven6679 - 2016-09-14

@scott967, so, just to be sure:

Should I install nightly build FOR WINDOWS from here: http://prntscr.com/cht3qw
and then set Settings / Player / Videos "sync playback to display" active/on?

And then what? How to increase/decrease tempo?
Sorry for questions, but I am still missing some step-by-step info from this thread...

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Landstander - 2016-09-15

(2016-09-14, 09:35)raven6679 Wrote: @scott967, so, just to be sure:

Sorry for questions, but I am still missing some step-by-step info from this thread...

You are not alone.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - jsabrahamsen - 2016-09-16

(2016-09-15, 21:19)Landstander Wrote:
(2016-09-14, 09:35)raven6679 Wrote: @scott967, so, just to be sure:

You are not alone.
I second that. I have installed the latest windows version, as well as the newest LibreElec nightly for Rpi from Milhouse, and cannot get this feature to work on either version. I have spent hours reading this thread and searching for other hints, without finding anything that works.

The Rpi builds used to have an "Accelerated playback speed" setting, but that seems to be gone again. The only other advice is to make sure omxplayer is disabled, "sync playback to display" is enabled, and passthough is disabled. I have all that, but FF still jumps to 2x speed with no sound.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - scott967 - 2016-09-16

Unless your skin has been modified to provide a capability in the player controls or video OSD, the only way to activate it is by mapping an input device. I use a wireless keyboard on my production system and have my keymap set up with:
Code:
<left mod="ctrl">PlayerControl(tempodown)</left>
<right mod="ctrl">PlayerControl(tempoup)</right>
so control left and right arrow changes the playback-speed. See Wiki on Keymap (wiki) if you are unfamiliar with setting up user keymap.

Note that if you use a keymap, when you press the key you don't get any direct visible feed-back as to what the new playback speed is (which is why I ask for a notification from Kodi on speed change), though it is possible to add it to the OSD, that means having to click to bring the OSD up and also dismiss it which is a bit of a bother IMO. Also if you pause or FF/REW and resume you are back to 1.0 speed which makes commercial skipping a bit harder (my main use case is for recorded or streamed TV show episodes).

I haven't done a lot of testing of the new feature. I get a little bit of audio jump from time to time @1.3 speed which I assume is due to resyncing the audio to the video. So it isn't perfect but still quite usable for me anyway. You don't have to turn passthrough off in the settings. It is effectively turned off JUST IN THE VIDEO PLAYER for you when you have sync to display set ON. Since Kodi is handling the audio conversion make sure your audio settings are to your liking (my production system uses optical so I need 2.0 PCM output from any 5.1 or better audio stream in the file).

Note that nightlies are testing / development builds and may not be suitable for use on production systems. On windows systems I recommend installing and running these builds in portable mode (kodi.exe -p on cmd line or shortcut).

scott s.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - raven6679 - 2016-09-18

@scott967, as you seem familiar with this feature, would you be so kind, to describe step-by-step instruction on how to enable and use it?

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - nickr - 2016-09-18

Scott967, a wiki page would be the best place to write howto.

RE: Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)? - Ned Scott - 2016-09-18

I couldn't get it to work on my mac, but if those are the correct commands then I will add them to a PR for the default keymaps. Can someone confirm?