Kodi Community Forum
ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel (/showthread.php?tid=101151)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is this method comaptible with irexec? - marcozd - 2011-08-15

Hi all,

I am just wondering if I use this method of set-up for me remotes if I will be able to use irexec?

I would like to be able to control all of my devices from one remote and my receiver also has IR transmitters. I was thinking of using irexec to be able to change TV channels and power on etc.

Thanks in advance!Big Grin

- colinjones - 2011-08-16

Guys - desperate for some advice here!

Why would LIRC/irw not respond at all when ir-keytables -t works fine even with a custom mapping?? Its set up per the instructions using devinput, but as soon as I start LIRC, ir-keytables stops, and nothing further responds... stop LIRC and it comes back. Can't get XBMC to respond properly to the the remote as a result.

And I don't seem to be able to find any relevant logging to tell me what's going on...

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated!!

- darkscout - 2011-08-16

What do your logs say?

- colinjones - 2011-08-16

as I say, I couldn't find any specific LIRC logging, looked in dmesg and not much comes up. Can you let me know which log files I should grab and I'll pastebin them here!

Col.

- illumilore - 2011-11-09

I have an AVS Gear HA-IR01SV, and I think I have ir-keytable working correctly using rc6_mce, as all of the buttons such as KEY_RED and KEY_SLEEP come up correctly when running ir-keytable -t, however xbmc still does not recognize the keys correctly, and most of them do not work. I think the fault lies in the old keyboard.xml and remote.xml I have in the xbmc userdata folder. Where would I get the correct ones for my remote, and would it be keyboard.xml or remote.xml that would be the problem?

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - schumi2004 - 2012-07-28

Is it possible to have a IR Keyboard working this way?

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - m3t3or - 2013-06-21

Thank's alot for this thread, it helped me to get my MCS-remote working!!

Was a long way for me .... I will tell the whole story .. maybe somebody else can profit from it:
- First I tried directly with lirc, tryd various different settings and drivers ... best I could get, when pressing a button was: "error reading /dev/lirc0" Undecided
- For some time I played a bit with "irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 -H devinput test.txt", which actually was able to give me keycodes to my keys
- I tried to figure out why always the message "can't get exclusive access to events coming from /dev/lirc0 interface" popped up when starting irw/lircd
- Because of that I found out, that there is "inputlirc" now ... basically I got the same problems with that Confused
- Than I sooner or later found this thread ... first time I was able to get some more input while using "Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce, protocols: RC-5 RC-6" ... however still most keys from the remote did not react at all ... and the keys which did work, only worked when pressing them for 2sec ... often "ir-keytable -t" received only raw-signals, if any. Undecided
- I was lucky that I tried the remote on my other PC, which has exactly the same OS --> There it worked out of the box, with all keys.
- After some more testing/investigation, I figured out, that my media-pc front-USB connectors are running USB3.0 ... same for the half of my backside-usb-connectors Blush ... I re-plugged the device to one of the backside USB2.0 connectors --> Yay, finally all keys work out of the box as well for my media-pc !!

My Hardware: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1700, IR-Receiver: SMK Manufacturing, Inc. eHome Infrared Receiver
My Software: $uname -a: Linux media-pc 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux (Wheezy)

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - mythxmbc - 2013-11-02

Thank you for the tip on how to avoid LIRC, it's much easier than getting LIRC working every time I upgrade my hardware or software!

I found that the /dev/input/event# number was changing upon reboot, so sometimes my keytable was not getting set correctly. Sad

I solved this by finding the definitive event# for my device:

$ ls -l /dev/input/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-event-if02 -> ../event5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-event-kbd -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-event-mouse -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-if01-event-mouse -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-if01-mouse -> ../mouse0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-05af_2.4G_USB_RF_KeyBoard-mouse -> ../mouse0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-15c2_ffdc-event-if00 -> ../event8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-15c2_ffdc-event-mouse -> ../event6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-15c2_ffdc-mouse -> ../mouse1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 2 10:53 usb-Streamzap__Inc._Streamzap_Remote_Control-event-if00 -> ../event7

The last line is the one for my Streamzap remote receiver. When I use that in the --device field of the ir-keytable command:

ir-keytable --device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Streamzap__Inc._Streamzap_Remote_Control-event-if00 --write=/etc/keycodes/newkeys

...it always gets the correct device (the Streamzap has shown up as event6, event7, and event8). Smile

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - seventhsite - 2014-05-01

What it may mean?
Code:
root@7th_odroid:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
root@7th_odroid:~# ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
        Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
        Supported protocols:
        Enabled protocols:
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
And cat /dev/input/event3 was return nothing. I also tried cat /dev/input/* and see the keyboard keys, but nothing from IR. Also I tried the remote control at the Windows and it works.

Ubuntu 13.10
Code:
root@7th_odroid:~# uname -a
Linux 7th_odroid 3.8.13.18 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 23 07:08:02 BRT 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - jingo_man - 2014-07-16

i used a lot of the principles here in my own setup, and all the buttons work for my setup now having made custom map files for the Harmony 650 remote I have. Inside XBMC, everything works and applying 10,000 repeat and delay settings makes it more workable.

However, I cannot get "resume from remote" to work. It suspends fine when I press the power toggle button. But nothing happens on resume.

I have a Zotac ZBox AQ01 (Kabini board) which has the built in IR receiver. Using Ubuntu, I have tried to only use the in-kernel lirc in an attempt to simplify.

I cannot find the vendor:product values (1283:0000) under the /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/idVendor files, to toggle the "enabled" flag at boot time.

I have the following devices:
Quote:sudo lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Quote:dmesg | grep CIR
[ 3.430534] ite_cir: Auto-detected model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver
[ 3.430541] ite_cir: Using model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver
[ 3.472850] input: ITE8713 CIR transceiver as /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input5
[ 3.473201] rc0: ITE8713 CIR transceiver as /devices/virtual/rc/rc0

Quote:sudo ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
Driver ite-cir, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
Enabled protocols: RC-6
Name: ITE8713 CIR transceiver
bus: 25, vendor/product: 1283:0000, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 10000 ms, repeat period = 10000 ms

Do I need the standalone lirc app on top to make this work? Is there something else in the config that needs applying?

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - User 29008 - 2018-07-22

Hey, since this thread is a bit old already I figure that people are hardly having trouble with ir-keytable or are rarely using it. Anyway, I hope someone still reads this and can help me, since I decided to also get rid of lirc with my new gear ... first of all, I am using a classic MCE remote RC6 protocol with original Microsoft USB IR receiver.
I uninstalled everything lirc related, and started setting up ir-keytable according to howtos. Worked pretty quickly and basically without problems. I can test the remote using ir-keytable and all buttons are recognized. I took the rc6_mce table file to /etc/rc-keymaps and started to adjust the keys, since some of them weren't working with the default key file (like Back, Info, Menu etc.) Basic buttons did work directly like Up/Down and so on.
I activated debug logging in kodi to see which keys are hit in kodi.log.

Lets take the Back key as an example. In the keymap file it's labeled KEY_EXIT by default This isn't recognized at all by kodi. No entries in kodi.log when hitting the back button on the remote. So I adjusted it to KEY_BACKSPACE and then also to KEY_BACK. Both tries also failed, no reaction in kodi.log. Then I tried to put a working KEY on the back button, I took KEY_UP. And voila, back button on the remote sends KEY_UP to kodi. So the button works, it's a question of the right "KEY" declarations in the mapping file for kodi to recognize it.
So my question is .... do I have a problem with keymap.xml? I took a look at it, it's from 2014 on my installation ... should I get a new one? I also attached it here to the post.

Is there a kinda KEY mapping documentation for ir-keytable to figure out, how the KEY_Huh names in the keymap file of ir-keytable have to look like to map correctly to kodi commands?

As second example, the Info button doesn't work either, same as with the Back key. I tried KEY_INFO and KEY_I in the ir-keytable keymap file. Both aren'T recognized by Kodi. What I don't get is, why all of the keys work using a regular keyboard .... hitting I gives me Info as expected, and Backspace takes me one level back. So that kind tells me, that my keyboard.xml file for kodi is basically working as it should, or not?

Thanks for any help,

boba

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - oldtvwatcher - 2018-07-25

boba23, did you get this working yet?  If not, see my thread at https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=333904 or just go right to https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress.com/2018/07/24/make-lirc-work-in-ubuntu-18-04/ for a solution posted by birdwatcher that worked for me.

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - ffws - 2020-01-02

I wanted to share something to have in mind while doing this, i updated my system to the last mint distribution and it broke my remote.

You have to make sure that the file at /etc/rc_keymaps/ is named "rc6_mce" because it is referenced at /etc/rc_maps.cfg

what broke my setup was that the there was a mismatch in the name of the file, my file name was just "rc6" and only some buttons worked.

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - trelane - 2020-05-05

(2020-01-02, 21:09)ffws Wrote: I wanted to share something to have in mind while doing this, i updated my system to the last mint distribution and it broke my remote.

You have to make sure that the file at /etc/rc_keymaps/ is named "rc6_mce" because it is referenced at /etc/rc_maps.cfg

what broke my setup was that the there was a mismatch in the name of the file, my file name was just "rc6" and only some buttons worked.

RE: ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel - trelane - 2020-05-05

Thank you ffws, your info was the missing piece of the puzzle that allowed me to finally get my remote to properly work with ir-keytable