Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) (/showthread.php?tid=102703)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- Roborob - 2011-07-27

Very nice script !!!!! I also requested this kinda script some time ago, and now it is here Big Grin.
I Downloaded it and it works very well. Thanks for that.
But I have one queston : would it be possible in the future to add more sites with pictures like HT Backdrops. So you can set the pictures to 1920 x 1080 if you want, and when there are no pictures for this resolution fall back to 1280 x 720 or smaller.

Thanks for your good work..

- ronie - 2011-07-28

Roborob Wrote:Very nice script !!!!! I also requested this kinda script some time ago, and now it is here Big Grin.
I Downloaded it and it works very well. Thanks for that.
But I have one queston : would it be possible in the future to add more sites with pictures like HT Backdrops. So you can set the pictures to 1920 x 1080 if you want, and when there are no pictures for this resolution fall back to 1280 x 720 or smaller.

Thanks for your good work..

i may add another site at some point...when time permits :-)

i like to keep the size selection the way it currently is,
you can specify min. width & height.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-29

ronie Wrote:believe it or not, but i am :-)

as mentioned before, i don't know if it's possible...
i just did a few tests, but doesn't work so far.

i would need to download the images in one thread and
have a second thread available to handle the periodic refresh.

i know diddly about python and threading.

Laugh no worries - if you or anyone else could ever figure out how to do that multi-threading it would make this considerably slicker even than it already is IMO.

OR, if stuck with single thread, is there no way to divide each downloading task into smaller tasks? Ie, download a couple of miages, refresh, download a couple more from where it left off etc? That way the "getting stuck for ages while 100s of images for a previous artist are downloaded" problem would be eliminated.

Quote:yup, the skin can specify a fallback image or a folder of images. no problem.

Great to know - thanks Smile

Finally, I was wondering about the unnecssary creation of .dds files for all of these last.fm images if useddsfanart advanced stiing is enabled.

I asked about the possibility of disabling this in the compressed textures thread and got this response:
vdrfan Wrote:Ideally 'userdata/thumbnails' is ONLY touched from core. Add-ons usually store their data in the addon_data folder. Anyway, i think you should open a new thread for this _special_ issue.

So, it's really not a big deal, but would there be any chance of the ArtistSlideshow cache folder being placed somewhere else? Say, in the addon_data folder instead?

Thanks!

ooh, and a big +1 for incorporating HTbackdrops at some point in the future - that would be amazing!

- ronie - 2011-07-29

kiboy6 Wrote:is there no way to divide each downloading task into smaller tasks? Ie, download a couple of miages, refresh, download a couple more from where it left off etc? That way the "getting stuck for ages while 100s of images for a previous artist are downloaded" problem would be eliminated.
it's already like that, the script checks after each image if a ne song has started.
but if it takes like 7 minutes to download a single image, than you're in trouble.

kiboy6 Wrote:I asked about the possibility of disabling this in the compressed textures thread and got this response:

So, it's really not a big deal, but would there be any chance of the ArtistSlideshow cache folder being placed somewhere else? Say, in the addon_data folder instead?

yeah, if the thumbnails folder is considered to be reserved for xbmc,
i'll gladly move my images to the addon_data folder.

will change that in the next release.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-30

ronie Wrote:it's already like that, the script checks after each image if a ne song has started.
but if it takes like 7 minutes to download a single image, than you're in trouble.

Ahh yes... I can see the difficulty with the single thread...is there any way the single thread could have a timeout peiod of, say, three minutes, after which it would stop downloading images and refresh the slideshow, before re-commencing downloads? Or would that then provide inferior performance for those with decent internet connections?

Also, what are the current provisions for offline use? From what I can gather it will work fine for the first artist (if cached images are present), but then won't update to the next artist because it never finishes a download?

Quote:Yeah, if the thumbnails folder is considered to be reserved for xbmc,
i'll gladly move my images to the addon_data folder.

will change that in the next release.

Thanks - sounds great - will we be able to seamlessly move the existing cache to the new location? Smile

- ronie - 2011-07-30

kiboy6 Wrote:Ahh yes... I can see the difficulty with the single thread...is there any way the single thread could have a timeout peiod of, say, three minutes, after which it would stop downloading images and refresh the slideshow, before re-commencing downloads?

heh, that would nee two threads, one downloading and the other keeping track of time.

kiboy6 Wrote:Also, what are the current provisions for offline use? From what I can gather it will work fine for the first artist (if cached images are present), but then won't update to the next artist because it never finishes a download?

good point, never thought of it.
will have to check to see how it'll behave in that case.

kiboy6 Wrote:Thanks - sounds great - will we be able to seamlessly move the existing cache to the new location? Smile

if you move the 'ArtistSlideshow' folder from userdata/Thumbnails to
userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow, all will be fine.

- PantsOnFire - 2011-08-02

I cant work out where to configure this such that I get only high'ish quality artwork? It says to config the addon in the 1st post but I dont see these options after pressing C.

- ronie - 2011-08-02

PantsOnFire Wrote:I cant work out where to configure this such that I get only high'ish quality artwork? It says to config the addon in the 1st post but I dont see these options after pressing C.

settings > add-ons > enabled add-ons > program add-ons
press c on the artist slideshow add-on and there should be an option configure.

if it's missing, make sure you're using the latest available version of the addon:
v0.1.0 for xbmc dharma
v1.0.0 for xbmc pre-eden

- paul elder - 2011-08-03

Dumb question I have just come across this would like to try it running latest version of t on new mac mini but how do I download this add on I can't see anything in add on's

- PantsOnFire - 2011-08-03

ronie Wrote:settings > add-ons > enabled add-ons > program add-ons
press c on the artist slideshow add-on and there should be an option configure.

if it's missing, make sure you're using the latest available version of the addon:
v0.1.0 for xbmc dharma
v1.0.0 for xbmc pre-eden

Thanks for the pointer, followed your advice, sorted it. cheers Big Grin

just an observation: Say you are listening to Muse, and it finds an artwork good enough and displays it. Then the song ends and next it plays Outkast (but now the script does not find a good enough artwork), xbmc continues to show the Muse artowrk,Confused which just seems a bit odd I think (if you look up at the tv and see Muse artwork while Outkast are playing).

Maybe it's what you intended for the script I don't want to criticise. I just wonder if it would be better simply showing nothing if nothing good enough is found?

- MarcosQui - 2011-08-04

ronie, once again, congratulations, you have done a great job.

One question: Is there any chance to adapt the script to the startup, in order to use Home Menu ?

- ronie - 2011-08-04

MarcosQui Wrote:ronie, once again, congratulations, you have done a great job.

One question: Is there any chance to adapt the script to the startup, in order to use Home Menu ?

not sure what you want to do?

but yes, you can start the script in startup.xml

- ronie - 2011-08-04

PantsOnFire Wrote:Thanks for the pointer, followed your advice, sorted it. cheers Big Grin

just an observation: Say you are listening to Muse, and it finds an artwork good enough and displays it. Then the song ends and next it plays Outkast (but now the script does not find a good enough artwork), xbmc continues to show the Muse artowrk,Confused which just seems a bit odd I think (if you look up at the tv and see Muse artwork while Outkast are playing).

that shouldn't happen, the script should clear the slideshow if nothing's downloaded and no previously downloaded images are found.

if you can reproduce this, please post a Debug Log.

- MarcosQui - 2011-08-04

I want to be able to run a music directly on the home menu and show the pictures, but the script will only search the data if has running a song, if you call it before (startup) it shows nothing.

- ronie - 2011-08-05

made a few changes to the script and you should now be able to run it at startup.

script.artistslideshow-1.0.3.zip

changelog:
- allow the script to start even when there is no music playing
- store images in the addon_data/script.artistslideshow folder instead of the thumbnails directory
- use xbmcvfs.mkdir to create folders (NEEDS RECENT NIGHTLY BUILD!)