Kodi Community Forum
Introducing my HP Microserver N36L / N40L / N54L using WHS2011 + XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Introducing my HP Microserver N36L / N40L / N54L using WHS2011 + XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=104372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- pglover19 - 2012-01-15

QLink Wrote:i replaced the original case fan with a Scythe PWM fan rated for 1900 RPM, equipped with a manual speed control. (link)

I did the same thing... This unit is very quite now.. Just follow the instructions at the link above.

- tododo - 2012-01-19

Hi all

Just about to buy a n40l but not sure what specific graphics card to buy

I see the 6450 is popular under windows

Can you recommend any exact models that will definately fit

Thanks

- northern_star - 2012-01-19

QLink Wrote:i haven't tried it myself, but i found this post:

"For those wondering about tuner cards in the n36l, the hvr-2250 is excellent.
Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-2250
I use it with media center and the recorded quality and reception is excellent.
It's one of the only tuners that is dual and does any combination of digital, analog, and fm. I tried the hdhomerun but the quality and playback were inferior. I was gonna use it to just add 2 digital tuners but it wasn't worth keeping. I have the 2250 in the pci-e x1 port and an hd6450 in the x16."

so it should work ...

maybe one of these will fit also in the N36L/N40L:

Link
Link

Thanks Qlink, will look into those a little further Smile

- QLink - 2012-01-20

tododo Wrote:Hi all

Thanks

just read this thread carefully and you will find some exact 6450 models, which will fit.

i'm using (as i've written in first post) a CLUB 3D Radeon 6450 (passive) gfx card.
others are using a sapphire 6450 and so on...

most important is, that it is a low profile card and that there are low profile brackets included.

- pglover19 - 2012-01-20

tododo Wrote:Hi all

Thanks

This is the unit I am using.. Working great so far....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150567

- eskro - 2012-01-20

pglover19 Wrote:This is the unit I am using.. Working great so far....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150567

+1

- QLink - 2012-01-31

aaaaaaaahhhh i just want this special edition !!! Cool

HP Borg ProLiant MicroServer N40L

Link

- cable_guy - 2012-02-02

does anyone know if it's possible to boot XBMC Live using the Microserver from a 2.5" drive connected via eSata?

- akjet680 - 2012-02-02

is it possible to use this box as an unraid server?

- QLink - 2012-02-02

akjet680 Wrote:is it possible to use this box as an unraid server?

yes it is possible. many users have the N36L/N40L running with unRAID. just take a look @Google Wink

- akjet680 - 2012-02-02

yea just saw that, prematurely posted... though i think eskro's sff build is more logical as it is only marginally bigger than the HP N40L

- cable_guy - 2012-02-07

hi, would like to bump for my question please:

does anyone know if it's possible to boot the Microserver into XBMC Live using a 2.5" drive connected via eSata?

I have a choice of boot/download drive now between an old 100GB 2.5" HDD I have (I'd need to buy an eSata caddy) vs buying a bigger USB stick, maybe 16GB or so.

- QLink - 2012-02-08

i will give it a try when i'm back home today...

edit: hmm sry i am afraid unetbootin doesn't recognize my 2,5" usb hdd although it's formatted with FAT32. so it's not possible for me to install xbmc live on it Sad

so i can't test it if you can boot from on it on the microserver ...

- baldmosher - 2012-02-08

cable_guy Wrote:does anyone know if it's possible to boot XBMC Live using the Microserver from a 2.5" drive connected via eSata?

Yes it is entirely possible. I'm booting from a 2.5" eSATA 500GB drive, in an Icy Box, no issues at all. Running the modded bios and Windows 7 but don't see why Live would make any difference.

Windows won't let you boot from USB drives as it loads the USB drivers partway through boot, but eSATA is just like normal SATA, as long as the BIOS supports it.

- cable_guy - 2012-02-08

QLink Wrote:i will give it a try when i'm back home today...

edit: hmm sry i am afraid unetbootin doesn't recognize my 2,5" usb hdd although it's formatted with FAT32. so it's not possible for me to install xbmc live on it Sad

so i can't test it if you can boot from on it on the microserver ...

Thanks for testing for me QLink, I got a bit optimistic last night and ordered an eSata 2.5" caddy and an eSata - eSata cable, sounds like that plan has gone up in smoke then!

Are you using uNetbootin on a Windows machine? I will still give it a go, I know of people on another forum I frequent have managed to boot it from eSata, although that was for a different OS entirely (ESXi IIRC)

thanks again for trying Smile