Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote) (/showthread.php?tid=104567)

- Archigos - 2011-09-21

CrizCroz Wrote:ive been trying to connect the xbmc constellation (ipad 2) with my xbmc on my pc(HTPC) but no luck so far and i cant figure out what im doing wrong..

i keep gettin this message
It shouldn't matter too much in this case, but which version of XBMC are you running? (10.1 or Nightly with date) When you say PC, I assume you mean Windows.

First, IN XBMC, make sure all the things checked in the screenshot are checked (Control via UPnP is optional) and write down the port that is listed, as well as user/pass if required.
Now try to load the Web Interface like explained earlier and it should show the same way. In Constellation, delete the host that is giving you issues (or you can just modify that one). The "Description" doesn't matter, it's mainly used if you have multiple XBMC machines running, but make sure host is the IP address of your HTPC and that the port matches what was in XBMC Network Settings. Fill in Username and Password if you use those and leave "WOL MAC:" BLANK unless you actually use Wake-On-LAN in which case you have to find your MAC address (Safer to leave blank while testing). Make sure "Event Server:" is turned ON and the "TV Shows thumb size" is your preference.
With XBMC running touch "Start test" and you shouldn't get an error and you'll see a little pop-up on screen if you're looking at the display.

longsh0t Wrote:Is there a trick to getting banners and movie posters to show up? Also, when I switch from another app back to Constellation XBMC always redetects it and causes some stuttering in whatever video is playing. Any fix for that?
You'll have to explain more about the 'getting banners and movie posters to show'...
  • Are you getting incorrect images or no images at all?
  • What version of XBMC are you running? (and what OS)
  • What version of Constellation are you running?
As far as the switching from another app back to Constellation, it reconnects each time because it's not set up to be "Background Enabled" on your iOS device. If I remember correctly, it's something they said they were looking into doing in some future version (not sure when).

- Archigos - 2011-09-21

alsacar Wrote:Hello,
I have the iphone 4 and i buy the app "xbmc constellation" in apple store (0,79 euros). Is posible controler xbmc whit this app?. Is possible play, rewind, volume, ff, etc.?. I want to buy the 3,99€ for controler?. Is also for ihone 4?.
Gracias

Spain
If I understand your post correctly, you paid the lower price on the iPhone. This WILL give you control of XBMC to play, rewind, fast forward, volume control, etc. The higher priced version is if you want Pro on an iPad as well. If you're just using an iPhone, no need to purchase again.

Version Descriptions:
-----
There are 'three' versions of Constellation (all the same download).
The free version has the ads at the bottom of the screen.
The "Universal Pro" is the version paid for when:
  • Purchased on iPad
  • The Purchase button on the RIGHT on iPhone
The "iPhone Pro" version is when you use the Purchase button on the LEFT on iPhone.

The reason for the two different prices listed on the iPhone version is:
$0.99 Pro will give you the Pro version on the iPhone ONLY.
$4.99 Pro will give you the Pro version on both the iPhone and iPad.
If you purchase from the iPad, you've automatically got the "Universal Pro" that will unlock on the iPhone (go to "Buy App", "Restore Purchase" and it will unlock as long as the device is attached to the same Apple ID you purchased from.)

- CrizCroz - 2011-09-21

[quote=Archigos]It shouldn't matter too much in this case, but which version of XBMC are you running? (10.1 or Nightly with date) When you say PC, I assume you mean Windows.

First, IN XBMC, make sure all the things checked in the screenshot are checked (Control via UPnP is optional) and write down the port that is listed, as well as user/pass if required.
Now try to load the Web Interface like explained earlier and it should show the same way. In Constellation, delete the host that is giving you issues (or you can just modify that one). The "Description" doesn't matter, it's mainly used if you have multiple XBMC machines running, but make sure host is the IP address of your HTPC and that the port matches what was in XBMC Network Settings. Fill in Username and Password if you use those and leave "WOL MAC:" BLANK unless you actually use Wake-On-LAN in which case you have to find your MAC address (Safer to leave blank while testing). Make sure "Event Server:" is turned ON and the "TV Shows thumb size" is your preference.
With XBMC running touch "Start test" and you shouldn't get an error and you'll see a little pop-up on screen if you're looking at the display.

QUOTE]

thanks for tha Reply archigos

im using xbmc 10.1 i installed it last night. and yes im running windows.. windows 7 to be precise.

the things u explained i have a feeling i tried that already but ill give it another shot tonight.

- FSS_Dawid - 2011-09-21

Spider_mp3 Wrote:I find Constellation awesome. As a user who bought the full iPad version, I have some suggestions to improve Constellation's functionality:

1) Additional buttons in the remote control screen: PgUp / PgDn / Home / End. This would make browsing through long lists more comfortable.

2) A button in the remote control screen for cycling through the available subtitles (equivalent to pressing the L key on the keyboard)

3) A button in the remote control screen for cycling through the available audio tracks of a movie (I don't know if XBMC has this functionality)

4) In Constellation's remote control screen, the keyboard button calls iPad's retractable keyboard, which can be used to enter text in XBMC, like the search field. It would be nice if the iPad keyboard could be used to jump to specific words in a list (like when using the PC's keyboard and you type the letters "B", "A" and "M" holding the shift-key, the cursor jumps to the entry in the list that starts with "bam", for example: the movie "Bambi" in the movie list)

5) In Constallation's Artists screen all artists of XBMC database are shown by default. An option to exclude artists who appear only in compilation as in XBMC's settings would be nice.

The basic idea is to use the big iPad's screen as comfortable remote controle to navigate through XBMC.

Regads,
Spider

1) Added to the To Do list
2 & 3) Thats already there Wink when you start a movie 2 buttons show on the remote download subs and switch subs.
4) added to todo this is a grate idea Wink
5) Will give it a try but don't know if this can be done in the JSON RPC.

longsh0t Wrote:Is there a trick to getting banners and movie posters to show up? Also, when I switch from another app back to Constellation XBMC always redetects it and causes some stuttering in whatever video is playing. Any fix for that?

shuttering-->
hmm It does not happen to me. The banner that you see on screen is required by the event server spects But I know other remotes don't do it @ all we can make a switch to disable the baner.

banners-->
well you you should have all the postars banner's you can try to remove the image cache from settings.

alsacar Wrote:Hello,
I have the iphone 4 and i buy the app "xbmc constellation" in apple store (0,79 euros). Is posible controler xbmc whit this app?. Is possible play, rewind, volume, ff, etc.?. I want to buy the 3,99€ for controler?. Is also for ihone 4?.
Gracias

Spain
Yes it is. Just PULL DOWN the title bar("Nothing Playing") and you will get a full remote.

- Archigos - 2011-09-21

FSS_Dawid Wrote:Yes it is. Just PULL DOWN the title bar("Nothing Playing") and you will get a full remote.

Image Image Image

Controls are the top half of the screen in image 2 & 3, while the bottom half of image 3 is the Gesture Zone.

- CrizCroz - 2011-09-21

Best archigos,

i got the web interface running op my pc.

but i still cant get any connection with the consellation on my ipad

ive done the things u told u me 2 do and still getting the error on my ipad.

and even in safari browser on my ipad i cant get the webinterface showing.

i got this in my port triggering on my DSL Router

xbmc TCP 8080 8080 TCP 8080 8080
xbmc TCP 9090 9090 TCP 9090 9090
xbmc UDP 9777 9777 UDP 9777 9777

please me know if i did anything wrong cause i have a feeling that my problem is in my router add the moment.

im not good in doing the right settings on my router

- Archigos - 2011-09-21

CrizCroz Wrote:Best archigos,

i got the web interface running op my pc.

but i still cant get any connection with the consellation on my ipad

ive done the things u told u me 2 do and still getting the error on my ipad.

and even in safari browser on my ipad i cant get the webinterface showing.

i got this in my port triggering on my DSL Router

xbmc TCP 8080 8080 TCP 8080 8080
xbmc TCP 9090 9090 TCP 9090 9090
xbmc UDP 9777 9777 UDP 9777 9777

please me know if i did anything wrong cause i have a feeling that my problem is in my router add the moment.

im not good in doing the right settings on my router

Some reason it sounds like your iPad may not be on the same wireless network as your HTPC.
On the iPad go into Settings (iOS settings, not Constellation), "Wi-Fi" and you should see your SSID (Network name), touch the Right Arrow and you should see your IP, Router, DNS, etc. I assume you're not having other issues with playing around on the internet via the iPad, so you're connected to something.

Write down the IP Address, Router, and DNS that it shows on your iPad. From your Windows PC (the HTPC) open up a normal "Command Prompt" (WindowKey+R -> 'cmd' -> Enter) and in the box that comes up, type
Code:
ipconfig /all
On the computer, the Host Name is just the name of your computer and not relevant for this, but the IP address should be different from the iPad, but the DNS and "Default Gateway" (which is "Router" on iPad) should be the same on both. Both should have '255.255.255.0' for Subnet Mask.

Example:
HTPC:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.2
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • DNS: (Whatever your ISP provided or "FreeDNS" from online)
iPad:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.3
  • Router: 192.168.1.1
  • DNS: (Same as HTPC above)

If I remember correctly, XBMC uses Port 8080 by default, so in the above example, from your iPad you'd try to visit http://192.168.1.2:8080 to see if the web interface works. If it does, follow the directions I gave for Constellation again, if it doesn't, it's a network issue out of the scope of these forums, but you can feel free to PM me and I can try to help you through it.

- CrizCroz - 2011-09-21

Archigos Wrote:Some reason it sounds like your iPad may not be on the same wireless network as your HTPC.
On the iPad go into Settings (iOS settings, not Constellation), "Wi-Fi" and you should see your SSID (Network name), touch the Right Arrow and you should see your IP, Router, DNS, etc. I assume you're not having other issues with playing around on the internet via the iPad, so you're connected to something.

Write down the IP Address, Router, and DNS that it shows on your iPad. From your Windows PC (the HTPC) open up a normal "Command Prompt" (WindowKey+R -> 'cmd' -> Enter) and in the box that comes up, type
Code:
ipconfig /all
On the computer, the Host Name is just the name of your computer and not relevant for this, but the IP address should be different from the iPad, but the DNS and "Default Gateway" (which is "Router" on iPad) should be the same on both. Both should have '255.255.255.0' for Subnet Mask.

Example:
HTPC:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.2
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • DNS: (Whatever your ISP provided or "FreeDNS" from online)
iPad:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.3
  • Router: 192.168.1.1
  • DNS: (Same as HTPC above)

If I remember correctly, XBMC uses Port 8080 by default, so in the above example, from your iPad you'd try to visit http://192.168.1.2:8080 to see if the web interface works. If it does, follow the directions I gave for Constellation again, if it doesn't, it's a network issue out of the scope of these forums, but you can feel free to PM me and I can try to help you through it.

hey Archigos,

thanks again for the info.

ive checked my ipad2 and the DNS was not the same. ive changed the DNS on ipad2 to the same as the PC. sadly enough still the error. the rest of the settings on the ipad are right.

when i try to open this adress HTTP://192.168.1.11:8080 in safari on the ipad2 i get this message

Cannot open page
safari could not open the page
because the server stopped responding.

- PelleBoA - 2011-09-21

maSp Wrote:PelleBoA,

in the upper right corner you can filter your library view. As long as you don't sort by 'label' your movies should be there. Sort by 'rating' for example.

Cheers.

Thanks! That was EXACTLY what was causing my movie library to "disappear" all the time Smile Now with the september 3 build and makign sure NOT to sort by label it all works! I do however get the occasional crash when browsing and playing around. But overall it works!

Can't wait for a new version that supports the latest nightly builds! Keep up the good work!

- Archigos - 2011-09-21

CrizCroz Wrote:hey Archigos,

thanks again for the info.

ive checked my ipad2 and the DNS was not the same. ive changed the DNS on ipad2 to the same as the PC. sadly enough still the error. the rest of the settings on the ipad are right.

when i try to open this adress HTTP://192.168.1.11:8080 in safari on the ipad2 i get this message

Cannot open page
safari could not open the page
because the server stopped responding.

You said the web interface worked from the HTPC system itself? Did you use http://localhost:8080 or http://192.168.1.11:8080 when you tried? At this point, I'd say it's most likely port forwarding issues with your Router.

- CrizCroz - 2011-09-22

Archigos Wrote:You said the web interface worked from the HTPC system itself? Did you use http://localhost:8080 or http://192.168.1.11:8080 when you tried? At this point, I'd say it's most likely port forwarding issues with your Router.

yes the interface works on my htpc..
i used the http://192.168.1.11:8080 URL to get my webinterface shown on my browser of my HTPC.

- Archigos - 2011-09-22

CrizCroz Wrote:yes the interface works on my htpc..
i used the http://192.168.1.11:8080 URL to get my webinterface shown on my browser of my HTPC.

Sadly, if that URL works via the HTPC, but not from other devices on the network, it HAS to be either Firewall Issues on the HTPC or Port Forwarding issues on the Router.

- mat____ - 2011-09-22

Archigos Wrote:Sadly, if that URL works via the HTPC, but not from other devices on the network, it HAS to be either Firewall Issues on the HTPC or Port Forwarding issues on the Router.

If both devices are on the same subnet, (which they are according to the IP addressed show) then it's nothing to do with the router. It's a firewall issue on the HTPC.

Turn off the firewall there to prove the case.

The router port forwarding settings are only relevant if you are establishing a connection from outside of the lan, like from a 3G connection or from a friends house.

- rojoyinc - 2011-09-22

awesome app, found it last night - after initial test - bought it. LOVE IT.
I have Ipad2.

Some questions.

1. What IP am I to enter in the server config in the app? Like my machine? (I did this and it seems to work fine, was 192.168.0.195. HOWEVER the reason I ask is.. in xbmc under system/memory etc... it gives a different IP. A 169.254.118.155 (what is this IP for?) and was I suppose to put this XBMC internal ip into my configuration in the app or my servers IP. I currently have the later and most everything works.

You tube in app... I had to add youtube add on in XBMC. Now youtube appears in XBMC, I see the vid-thumbs, but when I click on a video it says "loading 42%... seems to hang) then says PLAYBACK FAILED... one or more items failed to play. (check log) where's the log? any ideas? when I click the "to TV icon in the app, it says streaming - 42% then never does. any ideas?

3. "MY TV" shows nothing. Do I need to place my TV recordings into a special directory and point to them? All my movies and music shows up and plays great. The remote on the app works great too. But TV shows are empty.

thanks for a great app - I appreciate any help in the above questions!

- rojoyinc - 2011-09-22

Solved (editing out msg - but I don't see a DEL MSG) option