Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! (/showthread.php?tid=105915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- cakeove - 2011-08-31

Ned Scott Wrote:you could buy a used mac mini from 3 years ago and get smooth 1080 video. Why does everyone think that only recent hardware can do this?

thats true, my old apple tv with 256 ram 1ghz processor a broadcom crystal hd card can play a 1080p perfect. Also at the same time that is playing is streaming another movie full hd 1080p without any issues. CPU is 50-55%

120mb ram free.

- steve1977 - 2011-08-31

Ned Scott Wrote:you could buy a used mac mini from 3 years ago and get smooth 1080 video. Why does everyone think that only recent hardware can do this?

In general I agree. Only thing that does not work though is to play half-SBS without HW acceleration. That's what the new Mini hopefully should be able to deliver.

- dlmh - 2011-08-31

cakeove Wrote:I have a 27" iMac 2011, connected to my logitech z5500 receiver via optical port. When i play movies with DTS HD and DTS on the screen of xbmc show DTS 5.1 and the receiver screen also show DTS.

The logitech support DTS 96/24 5.1 channel also its THX approved.

As far as i know DTS HD audio uses 96 kHz / 24 bit bitstream up to 8 channel.

my MKV says DTS-HD but with 5.1 channel

I don't know if this is the same or you receiver has to be also DTS HD supported.

I suppose the same thing is with the mac mini 2011. I will tested and post again

When playing DTS-HD through S/PDIF or through an HDMI 1.2 connector, the DTS Core track will be extracted from the DTS-HD track. So you will get the 1.5 MBit/s lossy audio track, not the lossless one.

bombart Wrote:Fantastic. Glad to know I'm not going to have to spend $850 to get smooth 1080p videos. Thanks again.

Yes, the base model will play 1080p flawlessly, just like the previous models. The main difference is that only the current models (both Intel and AMD) can bitstream HD Audio.

The only reason you'd want the AMD model is that the Intel HD Graphics still suffer from the same 24p bug that plagued the previous iterations. This bug causes 24P material (recorded at 23.976Hz) to be played back at 24.00 Hz, causing a small stutter every 40 seconds or so, while it should be played back at exactly 23.976Hz.

Every AMD and nVidia graphics chip from at least the last 5 years has been able to this correctly.

- steve1977 - 2011-08-31

dlmh Wrote:The only reason you'd want the AMD model is that the Intel HD Graphics still suffer from the same 24p bug that plagued the previous iterations. This bug causes 24P material (recorded at 23.976Hz) to be played back at 24.00 Hz, causing a small stutter every 40 seconds or so, while it should be played back at exactly 23.976Hz.

Just saw this. I am about to buy the Intel-powered Mini, but this sounds like a deal breaker. Is this bug as severe as it appears?

- cakeove - 2011-08-31

steve1977 Wrote:Just saw this. I am about to buy the Intel-powered Mini, but this sounds like a deal breaker. Is this bug as severe as it appears?

i don't see this problem.

- prophetizer - 2011-08-31

cakeove Wrote:i don't see this problem.

doesn't mean it's not there

- voip-ninja - 2011-08-31

I'm contemplating ditching the Boxee Box in my main viewing room and putting a Mac Mini in its place (I loves me some OS X).

I was going to ask this very question about the 23.976 vs 24.00 playback bug, I am surprised it is still present on new hardware as this issue is proven NOT to exist on the Intel CE4100 based Boxee Box.

If this issue is present then it would be noticeable in a very very slight speed up of the playback and/or a dropped frame every so many seconds.

- voip-ninja - 2011-08-31

Okay, would appear that the 23.976 is still in Sandy Bridge. Probably common knowledge to some here. Here's an article on it;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7

Looks like I would have to opt for the 1st step up on the Mini as I would not be willing to put up with this.

- IGuardianI - 2011-09-02

cakeove Wrote:Yesterday i install the mac mini next to my old apple tv first generation running crystalbuntu with Crystal HD decoder.

Running Lion with XBMC via wifi the mac mini can handle my 1080p mkv movies from my Synology NAS.

With hardware acceleration i can not find any issue. Transformes 2 with 1080p h.264 and DTS-HD plays very well. Peaks frame rates pass 33Mbps.

I don't see any problem. However if i turn off hardware acceleration cpu goes 118% and little pauses on the video. Guest is only drivers.

But i don't feel any needs to use my mac mini without video hardware acceleration. That is the reason for the video card.

Mac mini runs very well.

Since a week I've got the new mini, same model as stated above, and I'm encountering issues with movie playback.

Watching the same movie, Transformers 2(1080p, dtsma(dts audio on logitech Z-5500), h264, mkv), but it's all except flawless.
I'm experiencing lots of hick-ups in video and in audio, mostly when there's a lot going on in the movie. (Autobots fighting etc)

This happens with and without HW acceleration, which I don't understand, like stated above. Also when the hiccups occur, mostly the whole or parts of the screen is/are pixellated. Maybe you can share some information, about what's installed at your system which seems to improve playback? Or any other tips for solving my problem?

Watching with XBMC newest version, lion 10.7, and nothing else running.

- davilla - 2011-09-03

seeing your xbmc.log might go a long ways to seeing what's wrong.

- IGuardianI - 2011-09-03

davilla Wrote:seeing your xbmc.log might go a long ways to seeing what's wrong.

Have tried to find the xbmc.log at the place where it should be, but can't find it.
Maybe you know what's going on? (User, library, logs, and nothing there, even searched for the file itself, still nothing)

More on before:
I've tried with and without post processing also, and it seems my problems with it only get worse. The FPS isn't stable(like before), it goes up and down all the time. Isn't the new mini powerful enough to get these things right, or is it just me? Hope when the xbmc.log is found, the problem will come up, so it can be solved!

Thanks in advance!

- davilla - 2011-09-03

open terminal app

xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

<username> is your username

- bombart - 2011-09-03

Hey Ned,

I actually have the older generation mac mini (1.6Core 2 Duo) with the CrystalHD card in it and it runs really well for the most part. However, it wasn't trivial to set it up properly and upgrades to newer versions are always very troublesome. (TMI, I know).

I just figured that I needed a version that has a good video card. I wanted the newest one so I don't have to worry about bitrates and resolutions and the such for a few years.

I will try looking for an older one (prev. gen). Thank you for your advice.

Cheers.

- bombart - 2011-09-03

dlmh Wrote:When playing DTS-HD through S/PDIF or through an HDMI 1.2 connector, the DTS Core track will be extracted from the DTS-HD track. So you will get the 1.5 MBit/s lossy audio track, not the lossless one.

Yes, the base model will play 1080p flawlessly, just like the previous models. The main difference is that only the current models (both Intel and AMD) can bitstream HD Audio.

The only reason you'd want the AMD model is that the Intel HD Graphics still suffer from the same 24p bug that plagued the previous iterations. This bug causes 24P material (recorded at 23.976Hz) to be played back at 24.00 Hz, causing a small stutter every 40 seconds or so, while it should be played back at exactly 23.976Hz.

Every AMD and nVidia graphics chip from at least the last 5 years has been able to this correctly.

Wow, I did not know this. I might get the old mac mini with the AMD VC or the newest one. Thanks a lot!

- darietto84 - 2011-09-04

dlmh Wrote:The only reason you'd want the AMD model is that the Intel HD Graphics still suffer from the same 24p bug that plagued the previous iterations. This bug causes 24P material (recorded at 23.976Hz) to be played back at 24.00 Hz, causing a small stutter every 40 seconds or so, while it should be played back at exactly 23.976Hz.

I encountered this problem Stare
So, is there no solution for this problem?
I'm very angry for this and I think to buy the mac mini with ati gpu because I can't live with this problem.