Kodi Community Forum
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available (/showthread.php?tid=106629)

- TerranQ - 2012-01-16

liquidskin76 Wrote:I think i've seen the same. I'm going to enable debuging without screen info, and see if i can catch it.

Cheers

Any luck on this one yet liquid? It's seriously cramping the WAF.

- liquidskin76 - 2012-01-16

TerranQ Wrote:Any luck on this one yet liquid? It's seriously cramping the WAF.

Hey TerranQ,

I was actually seeing hanging when seeking, however LAV filters 0.44 seems to have sorted that.

Keeping an eye on it for the time being.

Cheers

- Roman_V_M - 2012-01-16

sloth Wrote:Ok, I have a strange problem: most of my files (x264 mkv) work without any issue. I started using makemkv recently to rip all of my Blu-Rays and DVDs and some of them (both Blu-Ray and DVD rips) won't play with XBMC Dsplayer. Even weirder after a file failed to play none of the other files that did play fine would play until I restart XBMC. I am using lavsplitter, lavaudiodecoder and ffdshow. All files play fine with MPC-HC.
Below is the error-reporting part of the log. Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Jonas

I've noticed that there are parenthesis in your folder name. I've also played with DSplayer build for some time out of curiosity and noticed that it does not like parenthesis in folder names (and probably other non-alphanumerical characters). In my movie collections I have separate folders named by "name.(year)" convention for each movie and none of them is played. If a file path includes only plain alphanumerical characters, such file is played OK.

- vicmanpergar - 2012-01-16

mmm... i have folders and files this way Title (year) [rip data - language data]
and they play perfect in DsPlayer.

- Roman_V_M - 2012-01-16

vicmanpergar Wrote:mmm... i have folders and files this way Title (year) [rip data - language data]

Then I don't know what to think.Confused In my setup some files are played and some aren't and all those files are similar - MKVs with h264 video and AC3 sound. The only difference that I noticed is that problematic files are in subfolders that have parenthesis in their names. BTW, I also use LAV splitter.

- alexrose1uk - 2012-01-16

Atlas100 Wrote:Could you do me another favor an tell me how to add bluray folder playback?
At the moment I have only edited the mediasconfig like this:

<rule filetypes="bdmv">
<source filter="lavsource" />
<splitter filter="lavsplitter" />
<video filter="lavvideo" />
<audio filter="lavaudio" />
</rule>

is this correct?

As long as LAV will support BDMV files, the above looks about correct, although I've edited it, to cover the actual entry that you'd need to put at the end (you'd put the rule closure at the beginning).
Sorry I always rip my files to MKV etc, so I'm not too familiar with what XBMC/DSPlayer will happily do direct from BDMV.

Sloth Wrote:17:45:48 T:2112 ERROR: CFGManager::RecoverFromGraphError Audio / Video error
Error in the audio rendering chain.
Ensure that the audio/video stream is supported by your selected decoder and ensure that the decoder is properly configured.

17:45:48 T:4068 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [smb://SERVER/Data/Videos/Movies/Agora (2010)/Agora.2010.mkv]

This bit makes me slightly suspicious - it sounds like the decoder is running into a problem with decoding the audio component of the video properly.

If a video fails, can you play it again later after a restart, or does the same movie always error out?

If so, if you take a look at the file with mediainfo or the like, is the audio different in any way to other files playing? It would be worth taking a look at the file type, and if the ones not playing have a slightly different audio file type, perhaps take a look in the LAVAudio configuration and check its an audio format type/extension it recognises?

Alternatively if it sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't, it'd be worth seeing if you suffer the same issue when the file is stored on a local hard drive or USB stick. If it still does it, you could uninstall LAV, run the DirectShow Codec Reset utility I linked for someone else previously and then reinstall, incase its running into some sort of intermittant DirectShow conflict, like the aforementioned DTS bug a few of us ran into.

- Roman_V_M - 2012-01-16

vicmanpergar Wrote:mmm... i have folders and files this way Title (year) [rip data - language data]

You we right - this has nothing to do with parenthesis. The situation is more weird. If I launch a scanned bdmv from media library it is played OK. But when I try to do the same via Files view playback fails. And after that I cannot play any more files until I restart XBMC. Here are excerpts from debug logs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24356082/bdmv_test.log

Success - a bdmv has been launched via medialibrary.
Fail - a bdmv has been launched via Files view.

Honestly, I do not see much difference between the two logs except that in the 2-nd case lavsplitter fails to load. I've repeted the test several times to be sure that there's a pattern.

- publicENEMY - 2012-01-17

im sorry but, i dont understand what is the purpose of dsplayer? why would anyone want to use dsplayer instead the default xbmc player?

tried looking in wiki and google but cant find answer.

thanks.

- two_OH_five - 2012-01-17

publicENEMY Wrote:im sorry but, i dont understand what is the purpose of dsplayer? why would anyone want to use dsplayer instead the default xbmc player?

thanks.

A Bit off topic but.....

What DSPlayer brings to the table is flexibility

Want to play Dobly TrueHD or DTS MA soundtracks?
Well we all know that until AudioEngine hits trunk this is not possible with DVDPlayer - DSPlayer will handle this

Want Control over the picture output (filters, GPU shaders etc etc)?
DVDPlayer won't allow that - DSPlayer will

Wan't to play Hi10 Anime?
DVDPlayer won't - DSPlayer will

What DSPlayer does is open up the XBMC "best in class"* GUI system and library management to audio/video decode processes that are more flexible and offer better decoding performance

DSPlayer abstracts the actual video/audio decoding out of XBMC and into another well defined API - you make the right calls to that API and someone else does all the heavy lifting (poetic license applied for Big Grin )

This also means that beardy wierdy SQ/PQ fools (like me Laugh ) can try out weird and wonderful flights of fancy using tools that would never (and mostly should never) make it into XBMC itself

This is in no way a bad reflection on XBMC or it's devs - There are simply more people working solely on decoders like FFMPEG than the whole XBMC team put together so the capabilities of these tools are more up to date.

*ymmv

- Roman_V_M - 2012-01-17

publicENEMY Wrote:im sorry but, i dont understand what is the purpose of dsplayer? why would anyone want to use dsplayer instead the default xbmc player?

thanks.

The answer is simple - the XBMC default player "dvdplayer" is based on pretty old ffmpeg libraries and way behind as far as format support concerned. E.g. it does not support TrueHD/DTS-MA bitstreaming or h264 hi10 codec that has grown popular in anime community.
DSplayer build allows you to use external DirectShow filters (in Windows only) that support formats and features you need right now, without waiting until XBMC developers implement those features in the mainstream branch.
And most important that DSplayer is integrated with XBMC and offers seamless experience, unlike external players connected via playercorefactory.xml.

Personally, I like DSplayer build though it needs some improvements, e.g. proper bdmv support and configurable dxva compatibility check.

- publicENEMY - 2012-01-17

Thank you very much for the answer. this should be on the overview of dsplayer or even wiki.

thanks again. +1

- ArieS - 2012-01-18

I need some help with DSplayer.
I installed it following alexrose guide (thanks for that, brother!) and it launches DSplayer when I try on my primary display (PC) but when I try to launch it on my secondary display (Plasma) it won't work, nothing happens.

Couple of things,
From alex's guide:
5. Go to the new LAV Filters start menu option and pick LAV Audio Configuration. Under formats, tick all those you wish to bitstream. You shouldn't have to change anything else, so just click OK once this is done.
I don't see the option under Start, all I have is the ffdshow audio options.
I know the LAV Filters are installed since if I press O during playback, I see LAV Audio and LAV Video displayed in the text box.
And they are also in C: under LAV Filters.
So do I even need to do #5?

13. Now load up XBMC, and open a video of your choice. Go to the in-playback video options menu.
14. Change the scaling option to Bicubic or Bilinear, rather than Nearest Neighbour. This will resolve blockiness issues which occasionally catches out people new to the player. Once you have set your chosen option scroll down to the bottom of the video options menu and save this as the default for all videos; this will prevent you having to set this up for each video.

Which key do I need to press to access this option? Can't seem to figure it out...

- robl45 - 2012-01-18

thanks.

i can answer this easily. dsplayer is so that you can watch video and audio that is actually in sync as the default player can't do avi correctly and have the audio synced with 23.976, and with nvidia it barely handles h264 which apparently AMD people still can't get audio sync on because the sync to display apparently doesn't work correctly. with dsplayer you can use reclock and have perfect video with perfect sync.

now if someone could add in scale to 16:9 like mpc-hc has, I could finally be rid of having to go outside of xbmc to watch movies.

- alexrose1uk - 2012-01-18

ArieS Wrote:I need some help with DSplayer.
I installed it following alexrose guide (thanks for that, brother!) and it launches DSplayer when I try on my primary display (PC) but when I try to launch it on my secondary display (Plasma) it won't work, nothing happens.
Sorry I don't currently use a secondary Display so I can't help much with this one Sad

Quote:Couple of things,
From alex's guide:
5. Go to the new LAV Filters start menu option and pick LAV Audio Configuration. Under formats, tick all those you wish to bitstream. You shouldn't have to change anything else, so just click OK once this is done.
I don't see the option under Start, all I have is the ffdshow audio options.
I know the LAV Filters are installed since if I press O during playback, I see LAV Audio and LAV Video displayed in the text box.
And they are also in C: under LAV Filters.
So do I even need to do #5?
This is only relevant if you want to Bitstream from an AV amp. I put that section in since a lot of people with dedicated HTPCs probably will do Smile

If you installed LAV Filters with the installer, you should have a folder called LAV Filters in your start menu on the Windows desktop.

Quote:13. Now load up XBMC, and open a video of your choice. Go to the in-playback video options menu.
14. Change the scaling option to Bicubic or Bilinear, rather than Nearest Neighbour. This will resolve blockiness issues which occasionally catches out people new to the player. Once you have set your chosen option scroll down to the bottom of the video options menu and save this as the default for all videos; this will prevent you having to set this up for each video.

Which key do I need to press to access this option? Can't seem to figure it out...

If you are using a standard PC with a mouse, just move the mouse and the OnScreen Display will appear. Once the OSD is up, the video options is the button which looks like a film reel Smile

- mortstar - 2012-01-19

I'm having a couple of problems that may well be known issues, but thought I should report them:
  • When a video finishes playing, xbmc stays in what I'd describe as 'Full Screen Video Mode' but showing only a blank screen. This is instead of going back to the XBMC GUI. I can bring up the Video OSD and other actions visable whilst in full screen mode but using any of the buttons doesn't make a difference. The only way I can get out of this is to use the 'Tab' equivalent button on my remote.
  • I'm using the LAV Splitter v0.44 which I have set up with advanced subtitles selection (*:*|f;eng: off;*:eng). However, XBMC is not following these rules when using DSPlayer and instead seems to show subtitles by default whatever the mix of audio and subtitle tracks within the video.
Aside from these two bugs, everything seems pretty stable and it is extremely impressive. Please keep up the good work!

I'll provide a debug log for the first issue when I get back home tonight.