Kodi Community Forum
Weird problems with xbmc - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Weird problems with xbmc (/showthread.php?tid=107427)

Pages: 1 2

Weird problems with xbmc - toymachine2009 - 2011-08-10

So I just reformatted and reinstalled windows 7 on this htpc. Reinstalled XBMC and havent touched one setting in it.

XBMC in my house for some reason stopped seeing any other PC's via SMB. Not just on this machine but all pc's running xbmc in my house cant see each other no clue why. Yet I can still map the network drive in windows so that means the computer sees the other pcs via SMB but xbmc doesnt.

So I just mapped the network drive and pointed xbmc to it as if it were a local hard drive. Okay fine that worked all content is in xbmc

Also some movies Lag a bit in xbmc but when I close xbmc and play them in VLC they play perfect. Not all media but some media doesnt play that great in xbmc..

- Ned Scott - 2011-08-10

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708

Go do where it says "Where is my (debug) log?" and at least give us your XBMC.log file in this thread. Remember to use a site like pastebin and just post the URL since the log files are huge. Bonus points given for any additional information you tell us (that the post asks for).

- toymachine2009 - 2011-08-10

Alright Well There is no network issue because I installed xbmc on a laptop and another PC and both ran flawless streaming movies. I even streamed movies to both at the same time for 30 minutes and not one second of lag!

720p movies H246 movies if you are wondering

So must be the computer itself so I dont believe a log will help tell you why the HTPC is lagging. If it will I will gladly post it because I sure would like to know whats causing it.

Also would a debug log tell you why xbmc wont find anything via SMB? if so I will gladly post it as well. The thing is its not on one PC but 4 PC's xbmc will not find it via SMB. So I have to map a network drive and have xbmc use the network drive as if it were local.

- Ned Scott - 2011-08-10

toymachine2009 Wrote:Alright Well There is no network issue because I installed xbmc on a laptop and another PC and both ran flawless streaming movies. I even streamed movies to both at the same time for 30 minutes and not one second of lag!

720p movies H246 movies if you are wondering

So must be the computer itself so I dont believe a log will help tell you why the HTPC is lagging. If it will I will gladly post it because I sure would like to know whats causing it.

Also would a debug log tell you why xbmc wont find anything via SMB? if so I will gladly post it as well. The thing is its not on one PC but 4 PC's xbmc will not find it via SMB. So I have to map a network drive and have xbmc use the network drive as if it were local.

The only way we can say that the log isn't important would be if we already knew what the problem was. At this point no one knows what's wrong. This is unexpected behavior, so we have to play detective. Even if the debug log doesn't tell us exactly what's going wrong it will still give us clues.

The XBMC.log file tells us tons of information, like exactly how your copy of XBMC is set up, if there's a bad file somewhere, etc. Network problems are not as black and white as one might think, and it's more than possible to have a network issue even when one application is acting fine and another isn't.

So again, debug log (with debugging on in the settings) and any other details that you can give us about your computer.

- bluray - 2011-08-11

+1 for log

- toymachine2009 - 2011-08-11

http://pastebin.com/bVLvnJM6

There is my Log. I opened up xbmc went to settings and starting debugging went to the movie "The Company Men" Watched it lag for a few min and thats it.

This HTPC is 3 weeks old.

AMD Athlon II X3 460 Processor 3.4GHz
4 gig of DDR3 Ram
1TB Hard drive
Gigabyte Motherboard

any other details You need?

Edit: More history Since I built this PC I feel like it has not been running up to Par with what it should be. While my processor keeps scoring a low rating in windows rating system it keeps scoring a 3.2 when according to the manufacture it should be scoring a 5.9 this may or may not have to do with why its lagging I am not sure. I just expected and feel like this PC should be running faster and smoother and it isnt.

- bluray - 2011-08-11

it seems that there are all kind of errors related to your network in the log.

this might work, launch this xbmc to playback movie (you'll get dts-hd and truehd audio from this version too)- xbmc_hd_audio

for fun I played an .avi that doesnt lag and looked at the CPU usage it was not horrible. Then Played a 720p movie and CPU usage showed 100% per core so it was using 3 cores to the max.

I am not sure if problem is motherboard related or processor related but I may be buying 2 new ones soon.

Bluray I will give that a try thanks.

- jhsrennie - 2011-08-11

Re the lagging, have you enabled hardware acceleration from System settings, Video, Playback? High CPU on playback usually means it isn't enabled.

Re the networking: Windows networking can sometimes fail to see hosts on the network. It uses a protocol called "browsing" - see http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html if you're *really* interested.

Anyhow, the best way to set up network sources is to go to Add source then Browse, then select the Add network location option. Feed in the server name, share name, etc and click OK, and the new location will be added to the list in the Browse dialog. Select the new location and click OK. Using a network drive letter works fine, but you have to remember that you've used this letter in case it ever gets disconnected.

JR

I will try turning on hardware acceleration.. Is it normal to be using 100% CPU on each core?

- jhsrennie - 2011-08-11

toymachine2009 Wrote:Is it normal to be using 100% CPU on each core?

No. 5-10% would be normal. More if XBMC is doing something in the background e.g. extracting thumbnails or scraping data.

JR

jhsrennie Wrote:No. 5-10% would be normal. More if XBMC is doing something in the background e.g. extracting thumbnails or scraping data.

JR

so it seems I have a hardware issue.

- bluray - 2011-08-11

toymachine2009 Wrote:so it seems I have a hardware issue.

can you use this xbmc- xbmc_hd_audio. let us know how it turn out!

bluray Wrote:can you use this xbmc- xbmc_hd_audio. let us know how it turn out!

Sure I will do that right now.

I just get an error with that program. "The Program cant start because SDL.dll is missing from your computer try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"