Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon (/showthread.php?tid=108124)

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - fullmoonguru - 2013-04-21

Everybody should be adding messages to their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/AmazonInstantVideo

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Citizen_Seven - 2013-04-21

They had to know there would be blowback. I can only surmise that whatever reward they get from implementing this new protocol exceeds the lost revenue from those affected.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - gonzoxm - 2013-04-21

(2013-04-21, 15:08)fullmoonguru Wrote: Everybody should be adding messages to their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/AmazonInstantVideo

I agree. But we need to make our displeasure known at the right time. I suggest Sunday, 4/21 10:00-11:00 PM EDT (this evening for those of you in the U.S.). Amazon is promoting the pilots for their original series shows, so this would be a good time to raise some awareness.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - pastafarian - 2013-04-22

There is a nice contingency of posters making comments on the Facebook page. A lot of them are Android users, and according to Amazon support, their problem is due to a change in their XBMC viewer. I assume this is not the problem with people who had, until recently, been successfully using bluecop's excellent viewer (thanks Bluecop!)

Any updates on workarounds?

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-22

(2013-04-22, 03:17)pastafarian Wrote: There is a nice contingency of posters making comments on the Facebook page. A lot of them are Android users, and according to Amazon support, their problem is due to a change in their XBMC viewer. I assume this is not the problem with people who had, until recently, been successfully using bluecop's excellent viewer (thanks Bluecop!)

bluecop is MIA with personal stuff. While I appreciate his work... God knows its the reason why I use XBMC... I really feel that VOD addon development needs to become official from the XBMC folks... Otherwise this is just a client for pirated video.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - pastafarian - 2013-04-22

(2013-04-22, 04:04)locoguano Wrote:
(2013-04-22, 03:17)pastafarian Wrote: There is a nice contingency of posters making comments on the Facebook page. A lot of them are Android users, and according to Amazon support, their problem is due to a change in their XBMC viewer. I assume this is not the problem with people who had, until recently, been successfully using bluecop's excellent viewer (thanks Bluecop!)

bluecop is MIA with personal stuff. While I appreciate his work... God knows its the reason why I use XBMC... I really feel that VOD addon development needs to become official from the XBMC folks... Otherwise this is just a client for pirated video.

This may be, but I'd rather not have to wait for another 3rd-party client. I think that ultimately, Amazon needs to support their paying customers who want the option to view content on their device of choice. Otherwise, they're really just going to drive people to other content providers or torrent sites. Just my opinion.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Citizen_Seven - 2013-04-22

The work around I'm using is adding a portable copy of firefox to the players list, along with a rule to play STRM files using the firefox "player". Hardly ideal, but it gives me access to prime/bought content on Amazon through the same XBMC interface. It doesn't work for using the Amazon plugin directly, of course, but you can still use the plugin to populate your Movie/TV library, and then use fnr.exe to mass replace the relevant parts of the URLs in the STRM files.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - StayXBMC - 2013-04-22

Frankly without Amazon and Netflix, XBMC is of little use to me. Looks like I will just get a Roku 3 box and combine with Plex server

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - artrafael - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-22, 23:07)StayXBMC Wrote: Frankly without Amazon and Netflix, XBMC is of little use to me. Looks like I will just get a Roku 3 box and combine with Plex server

Frankly if all you need is Amazon and Netflix, you shouldn't have gone the XBMC route to begin with as it's more media center functionality than you need. In other words, even if there are working add-ons for Amazon and Netflix in XBMC, it still would be simpler for you to use something like a Roku to access just those two services.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - StayXBMC - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-23, 01:04)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-04-22, 23:07)StayXBMC Wrote: Frankly without Amazon and Netflix, XBMC is of little use to me. Looks like I will just get a Roku 3 box and combine with Plex server

Frankly if all you need is Amazon and Netflix, you shouldn't have gone the XBMC route to begin with as it's more media center functionality than you need. In other words, even if there are working add-ons for Amazon and Netflix in XBMC, it still would be simpler for you to use something like a Roku to access just those two services.

Maybe you're right but I found XBMC/HTPC a lot nicer than the streamers for all of my uses but without streaming video services the best device based upon features changes. I prefer the XBMC interface over Roku or WDTV or even the Plex client The HTPC has support for wide variety of video codecs so it plays all my old stored content in whatever form it is contained, and the HTPC I like being able to watch the occasional video via a web browser. XBMC HTPC used to handle my video streaming needs so I had 1 device not 2-4 under my TV. Now with the lack of streaming I have to figure out which is the next best thing to do everything in total and re-evaluate based upon the feature lists for each option.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - jbrady3324 - 2013-04-23

I cannot get this to work using openelec. Always get an error when I try to watch a video. Do I need to install an extra script/module?

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Diskotechjam - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-22, 06:03)pastafarian Wrote:
(2013-04-22, 04:04)locoguano Wrote:

This may be, but I'd rather not have to wait for another 3rd-party client. I think that ultimately, Amazon needs to support their paying customers who want the option to view content on their device of choice. Otherwise, they're really just going to drive people to other content providers or torrent sites. Just my opinion.

Agree. Amazon is moving to lock down their content so that it is only playable through supported devices. I assume this is an effort to combat piracy of their new original content. But in doing this they are stopping paying customers from seeing their original content. It's a total contradiction. Amazon obviously has no understanding of the pirate community. It will be copied and distributed no matter what, people will find a way. There is no point in boxing out actual customers in the process. It's like anti-piracy ads before movies, we are the paying customers, we don't need to see that crap.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-23, 01:31)StayXBMC Wrote:
(2013-04-23, 01:04)artrafael Wrote:

Maybe you're right but I found XBMC/HTPC a lot nicer than the streamers for all of my uses but without streaming video services the best device based upon features changes. I prefer the XBMC interface over Roku or WDTV or even the Plex client The HTPC has support for wide variety of video codecs so it plays all my old stored content in whatever form it is contained, and the HTPC I like being able to watch the occasional video via a web browser. XBMC HTPC used to handle my video streaming needs so I had 1 device not 2-4 under my TV. Now with the lack of streaming I have to figure out which is the next best thing to do everything in total and re-evaluate based upon the feature lists for each option.

I went with xbmc because i could integrate my amazon, hulu, and netflix accounts plus xbmc addons like revision3, freecable (which is dying as well), and pbs with my local library using the my.library utility. If I just wanted a media organizer I could stick with WMC with Media Browser or with Plex.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-23, 03:33)Tin2Harris Wrote: I get a list of the movies but none will play.

Might want to read the last 5 pages.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - rodalpho - 2013-04-23

I can't imagine it's due to piracy concerns. HDCP strippers have been around for years, and it's been possible to record directly off HDMI using ambarella encoders for almost as long. And of course forgetting HDMI/HDCP entirely, tons of devices will play amazon instant video over component video connections, leaving the analog hole open. Nah. It's not a piracy thing.

I honestly don't know why they're doing it. My guess is they turned it on and didn't think it would cause any problems.

Edit: Just occurred to me-- did the amazon plugin work on XBMC for android? Amazon does not want instant video streaming on android devices other than the kindle fire. That could be the reason.