Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon (/showthread.php?tid=108124)

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - KraziJoe - 2013-04-23

I left some feedback on their FB page. Don't think it will do any good but I might as well try.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - victorysshadow - 2013-04-23

don't really know if this helps, but amazon videos work on roku and are not encrypted or drm'd. could a similar thing be done on xbmc? i think a lot of the tv programs work the same way. i don't know what protocol and stuff the roku uses though.

vs

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - DonGateley - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-23, 06:09)victorysshadow Wrote: don't really know if this helps, but amazon videos work on roku and are not encrypted or drm'd. could a similar thing be done on xbmc? i think a lot of the tv programs work the same way. i don't know what protocol and stuff the roku uses though.

vs

Roku has a "close relationship" with Amazon. Amazon is clearly limiting viewing to those entities with "close relationships", and commercial ones at that, in order to exert control. This is almost certainly being forced by content providers. There are currently holes in their distribution but those that are lucrative and controllable will be filled. Android users, for example can probably expect a solution. Some of those relationships will likely preclude others. Roku pre-empting Tivo comes to mind. I doubt that XBMC will ever have the financial clout to see that hole filled.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - debianlinux - 2013-04-23

Amazon appears to be perfectly happy to lose membership over this recent change.

Quote:Thanks for contacting Amazon.com

From your email I understand that earlier you were able to stream Amazon instant videos using the XBMC media player, but currently you're unable to do so. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience caused in this regard. I'll do my best to provide through answer to your query in this message.

After looking into your query I've checked with my technical teams and tried to get information on streaming of Amazon instant videos on XBMC media player. They have confirmed that at this time due to some compatibility issues and DRM license authorization Amazon instant videos aren't supported on third party media players. I'm so sorry for any disappointment this might have caused to you. I can understand that making Amazon instant videos available on third party media players would add to the convenience of many customers. But due to some compatibility issues with platforms and DRM authorization we're unable to do so. I hope you understand our limitation in this regard.

But please be assured that we're constantly working on improvements to our Amazon instant video service and hope to introduce more features in the coming future. I've marked your comments as feedback and forwarded it to the Amazon instant video development team for further consideration as we make future improvements. Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service

Considering that you could stream Amazon instant videos on XBMC media player you opted for prime membership, but as of now you're unable to do so, then please let us know if you would like to cancel your annual subscription for Amazon prime membership.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=ydefdgaw3637987503&q=o2r

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Adam S

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - varanasi - 2013-04-23

With amazon dead and the ability to watch netflix looking imperilled, xbmc has lost some significant usefulness in the last couple weeks. XBMC and its addons are wonderful, and I'll continue to use them, but these twin whacks are the kind of thing that can kill projects.

I'm not sure what the long-term solution might be. We all seem to be increasingly entrapped by these very closed, corporate-based services that we feel we need. And as long as that trend continues the irrational or at least arbitrary changes to their services and compatibility will be constant.

In the short-term, I don't grasp the technical reasons that prevent an xbmc addon from working with these services but allow me to use them in a linux browser window.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-23

(2013-04-23, 14:21)varanasi Wrote: With amazon dead and the ability to watch netflix looking imperilled, xbmc has lost some significant usefulness in the last couple weeks. XBMC and its addons are wonderful, and I'll continue to use them, but these twin whacks are the kind of thing that can kill projects.

I'm not sure what the long-term solution might be. We all seem to be increasingly entrapped by these very closed, corporate-based services that we feel we need. And as long as that trend continues the irrational or at least arbitrary changes to their services and compatibility will be constant.

In the short-term, I don't grasp the technical reasons that prevent an xbmc addon from working with these services but allow me to use them in a linux browser window.

I've always been a downloader... from IRC to FTPs to torrents. Since I know have the money to do so, I have stopped doing that (mostly) and have gone with streaming services. Companies like Amazon closing the door on us will only push me back to my bad ol' ways.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - relaytheurgency - 2013-04-23

This is very silly of them. I personally run XBMC on a Raspberry Pi (not the most powerful HTPC, but fun to tinker with) and I bought all of the equipment for my RPi from Amazon. I probably spent $100 on the USB hub, cables, wireless adapter, SD card, multimeter and so on. Since Netflix is already not an option for linux based HTPCs I was very happy to use Amazon (although I constantly had to turn the quality of their streams down due to buffering issues). I hope they realize that free shipping isn't enough to keep hobbyists like myself. A free ROKU would maybe keep me with them, but I would probably then just cancel my Amazon Prime and go back to Netflix.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - varanasi - 2013-04-23

Slashdot on the amazon prime mess:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/04/23/1615219/the-dark-side-of-amazons-new-pilots

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - emaurer - 2013-04-23

My latest chat with Amazon

~~~

Me:I wanted to check on the status of Prime Instant Video on XBMC.

Nandu:Hello Rachel

Welcome to Digital chat support.

I'm sorry, you'll not be able to stream videos on XBMC software.

With latest software update, you'll not be able to stream videos on XBMC software.

Me:Thanks, I've seen many different answers from Amazon support on the forums. Some say that the Instant Video team is looking at it, some people got $10 credits their account, and some just said sorry.

Why has Amazon not made an official statement related to this. I don't know if anyone watches the forums or the Facebook page, but there are a lot of unhappy customers.

Nandu:I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to your in this case. Actually, using this software customers are able to stream the videos on not compatible devices. As per the legal restrictions we've with the studio owners, the content should only streamed or downloaded on the compatible devices on our website.

This was a bug in our system.

Our tech team has fixed this with latest update.

Me:Well it was compatible until you broke it.

Nandu:I know this is disappointing. I'll pass on your feedback to our development team. They will surely look into this.

Me:That still doesn't answer the question to why some people get different answers or credits to their account.

Nandu:I'm unsure why promo was issued to customers account. I'll surely pass this on to our higher officials.

They will check what happened.

Me:I'm sure you have nothing to do with PR, but this seems like a big mess that could have been handled a lot better by Amazon. A simple statement before the "fixed" the issue could have prevented a lot a people from wasting money or cancelling their membership

Nandu:I understand the disappointment. I'll pass on your comments to our higher officials. They will surely look into this and proper action.

* take proper action.

Me:OK, will I be notified of their response?

Nandu:No Rachel. They will check all the customers feedback and take necessary action. If we get maximum number of response from the customers to make the video available on XBMC, they will work towards making the videos available on XBMC.

Me:Oh OK. Is that just feedback on here or does it include the forums and facebook also?

Nandu:No they will only consider the feedback that is sent to us.

I'll pass on your comments in a form of email. That will reach appropriate team in our company.

That particular team will review all the comments and take necessary action.

Me:Not very reassuring, but thanks

Nandu:There is no other way. You can also send your feedback directly.

Please wait while I provide there email address.

I'm sorry Rachel, I'm sorry, we're not supposed to share that email address. I can assure you that your feedback will be sent to appropriate department.

I've already sent the feedback to them.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - mikefreeman - 2013-04-24

I said this on the Amazon forum as well:

So, basically, we need to flood them with chats and e-mails before they'll do anything. I wonder what the number is before they'll pay any attention to us.

Also, do not just hit "Reply" in your mail client or webmail to respond to their e-mail responses. They don't get them. You have to e-mail directly through their web site. You will not get a response from them otherwise. Found this out the hard way.

I suggest every one of us initiate a chat or send e-mail to them daily.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - victorysshadow - 2013-04-24

so xbmc can't stream over http like roku or yahoo widgets (TV apps)?

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Hansaplast - 2013-04-24

Big Grin Today I did got this reply ... Big Grin

Either I missed that (which is of course a possibility) or they forgot to inform you guys that you "launched" a new version ...? Rofl

Quote:...
I understand that you'd watched your Amazon Instant Videos on your XMBC Media Center PC's. But, you're facing issues now as you're unable to stream Amazon Instant Videos. I apologize;

Please be informed that the XMBC has launched a new updated version and after which, you were unable to stream the videos.

You might want to contact the XMBC support over this issue as they may be able to assist you. Here's the link to contact them :

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-24

(2013-04-24, 07:09)Hansaplast Wrote: Big Grin Today I did got this reply ... Big Grin

Either I missed that (which is of course a possibility) or they forgot to inform you guys that you "launched" a new version ...? Rofl

Quote:...
I understand that you'd watched your Amazon Instant Videos on your XMBC Media Center PC's. But, you're facing issues now as you're unable to stream Amazon Instant Videos. I apologize;

Please be informed that the XMBC has launched a new updated version and after which, you were unable to stream the videos.

You might want to contact the XMBC support over this issue as they may be able to assist you. Here's the link to contact them :
Oh... thats what did it...
But wait, I'm still using 12.0 Rofl

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - DonGateley - 2013-04-24

Here's what I think is driving the video service deprecation:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-24/here-comes-amazons-kindle-tv-set-top-box

Re: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - jpavlocak - 2013-04-25

For those of you that purchased movies...
I think that a company that sells a product or service and willfully fails to deliver is inviting a class action lawsuit.

Wouldn't you think?