Kodi Community Forum
New here and first time HTPC builder. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: New here and first time HTPC builder. (/showthread.php?tid=108154)

Pages: 1 2

New here and first time HTPC builder. - Leo8978 - 2011-08-20

Hi all, I accidentally stumbled across XBMC while searching for a 2nd play n play box for my sons room. I currently have a WDTV Live Hub and was looking for something similar. After seeing and reading what can be accomplished by building your own HTPC and running XBMC, there is no way in hell I'm buying another plug n play.

Although, all the options available for building your own HTPC are a lil overwhelming, I can't wait to get started. I was thinking about going with this build from eskro's "Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?" thread. This seems to be a good starter HTPC build and is able to do just about everything I need it to do, but I do have a few questions.

1. I'm not a big gamer, but would I be able to run any emulators with this setup?

2. Is there a tuner that would allow me to record HDTV (Comcast) with this unit?

Thank you eskro for that awesome thread for us newbies and thank you all for such a great forum. I hope to learn a lot more and hopefully someday I'll be able to help others that are just starting out.

- Leo8978 - 2011-08-21

With all the knowledgeable people on this forum, surely someone can answer these 2 questions. Anybody??

- Quartermass - 2011-08-21

1) Yes, indeed you would. You'd be able to run emulators just fine... although .chd games in MAME might struggle (they struggle with most things)

- outatouch0 - 2011-08-21

You should be able to record TV with a TV-tuner card. You can see my setup via the link in my signature. The Hauppage brand is well regaurded. The options are wide open as far as recording multiple programs at once, watching one and recording another, or a simple card like mine that is either watch or record one.
I am not super knowledgeable on the subject. Basically find out what type of signal/stream your cable privider sends out and get one compatable with it. Most cards should be compatible though.

- Leo8978 - 2011-08-21

Thanks for the responses guys! I have just ordered most of the components for my HTPC, but the SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm Case Fan is out of stock on Newegg. Would this fan work just as well SilenX IXP-74-14 120mm Case Fan? I understand it won't be as quiet, but it should work fine, right?

- bluray - 2011-08-22

Leo8978 Wrote:Thanks for the responses guys! I have just ordered most of the components for my HTPC, but the SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm Case Fan is out of stock on Newegg. Would this fan work just as well SilenX IXP-74-14 120mm Case Fan? I understand it won't be as quiet, but it should work fine, right?
it's pretty quiet in my apex mini-itx case. you can buy it from here- Silenx IXP7409 iXtrema Pro Fan.

you'll enjoy your i3 htpc!

- Quartermass - 2011-08-22

I'd recommend Scythe fans instead, they're cheaper and SilenX fans are not tangibly better or different.

This in particular. You would need to attach it to a header where you could adjust the fan speed, or 7v/5v it.

Alternatively if you want a fan that will work out of the box without that use this, however be aware it's a very,very weak fan and you wouldn't for example be able to turn it up.

- Leo8978 - 2011-08-23

I ended up going with this fan Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan. The closest I could find to the SilenX IXP-74-14 120mm Case Fan. The reviews were pretty good, so I hope it works out ok.

Now the next big decision is what operating system to use. I don't have any experience with Linux but would like to learn. Maybe XBMC Live....I don't know. I should have all of my components by Wednesday, so I need to figure this out quick. What do you all suggest for a newbie like myself?

- eskro - 2011-08-23

Very good case Fan!
Good Alternative!!

OS wise, im running win7 since i just dont like Linux....

- Leo8978 - 2011-08-24

I received my case, mobo, gpu and ram yesterday. I should be receiving the rest of the parts in the next hour or two. After reading thru the mobo manual, I started wondering if I should have bought a CPU cooler/fan. I only purchased a case fan. I was hoping to get building right away, but am now worried that I'll have to wait. What do you all suggest on the CPU cooler? Also, is the thermal grease on the CPU a must?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I do everything right.

- pyrodex - 2011-08-24

Leo8978 Wrote:I received my case, mobo, gpu and ram yesterday. I should be receiving the rest of the parts in the next hour or two. After reading thru the mobo manual, I started wondering if I should have bought a CPU cooler/fan. I only purchased a case fan. I was hoping to get building right away, but am now worried that I'll have to wait. What do you all suggest on the CPU cooler? Also, is the thermal grease on the CPU a must?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I do everything right.

Generally if you buy what they call a "retail boxed" CPU it will come with the standard CPU cooler which should solve most of the basic functions. Granted the cooler isn't the best in the world but if this is a stand HTPC in an AV Closet it will do fine. Most of the retail CPU coolers come with what they call Thermal Tape which will also do fine in a pinch but if you wanted to increase the performance of the base CPU cooler you can scrape off the tape and use something like Artic Silver 5 instead. If you need help in learning how to apply Thermal Compound there are tons of youtube videos around this process.

- Leo8978 - 2011-08-24

pyrodex Wrote:Generally if you buy what they call a "retail boxed" CPU it will come with the standard CPU cooler which should solve most of the basic functions. Granted the cooler isn't the best in the world but if this is a stand HTPC in an AV Closet it will do fine. Most of the retail CPU coolers come with what they call Thermal Tape which will also do fine in a pinch but if you wanted to increase the performance of the base CPU cooler you can scrape off the tape and use something like Artic Silver 5 instead. If you need help in learning how to apply Thermal Compound there are tons of youtube videos around this process.

Thank you very much! That definitely put me at ease. Ups just arrived with the rest of my parts, and sure enough you were right.

One more quick question before I get building. Will the drivers be installed automatically for all the hardware, or will I have to run the disc that came with the mobo?

Thank you all again for your help.

Help!!!!! - Leo8978 - 2011-08-24

Why can't i figure out how to get my [SSD: 60GB] Corsair Nova 2.5" SATAII drive to fit in the Apex MI-008 case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- bluray - 2011-08-24

Leo8978 Wrote:Why can't i figure out how to get my [SSD: 60GB] Corsair Nova 2.5" SATAII drive to fit in the Apex MI-008 case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
you might need this- Mushkin Enhanced

- eskro - 2011-08-24

Leo8978 Wrote:Why can't i figure out how to get my [SSD: 60GB] Corsair Nova 2.5" SATAII drive to fit in the Apex MI-008 case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SSD's are so small, and produce virtually no heat that you can
simply use Double-Sided Velcro and stick it anywhere Smile