Kodi Community Forum
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd (/showthread.php?tid=109314)

- ptaylor999 - 2011-10-05

Well Bluray, I'm back - and NOT with good news.

I received and installed my new Nvidia GT 430 video card - and am STILL having the same problem with constant switching between PCM and DTS-HD on my Pioneer VSX 919. So, obviously it's NOT the Intel HD Audio that was causing this problem.

Here is the debug log you asked for previously:
http://pastebin.com/7bYXtAav

This is incredibly frustrating as I absolutely love the video quality, and the interface is fantastic - WAY better than PowerDVD.

I'm at a loss. Think you could take a look at the debug for me? I'm not giving up. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- bluray - 2011-10-05

ptaylor999 Wrote:Well Bluray, I'm back - and NOT with good news.

I received and installed my new Nvidia GT 430 video card - and am STILL having the same problem with constant switching between PCM and DTS-HD on my Pioneer VSX 919. So, obviously it's NOT the Intel HD Audio that was causing this problem.

Here is the debug log you asked for previously:
http://pastebin.com/7bYXtAav

This is incredibly frustrating as I absolutely love the video quality, and the interface is fantastic - WAY better than PowerDVD.

I'm at a loss. Think you could take a look at the debug for me? I'm not giving up. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sorry to read it. i remember having this same problem when i setup my htpc's back in july. i forgot exactly what i did to get rid of it. let me think for a while!

with 5 kids in the house, i don't have very much time go through your log file. have you select "high perfromance" for power option in control panel? sometime, out of sync video settings can cause audio to go heywire too. you might want to try different video settings in xbmc. the rule of thumb, change one thing at a time and if it doesn't work, change it back!

- ptaylor999 - 2011-10-06

bluray Wrote:sorry to read it. i remember having this same problem when i setup my htpc's back in july. i forgot exactly what i did to get rid of it. let me think for a while!

with 5 kids in the house, i don't have very much time go through your log file. have you select "high performance" for power option in control panel? sometime, out of sync video settings can cause audio to go heywire too. you might want to try different video settings in xbmc. the rule of thumb, change one thing at a time and if it doesn't work, change it back!

No worries, Blu. Take care of the kids. Thanks for your help with all this. My OS is set to high perf, and I've tried every setting inside XBMC I can think of. But if you happen to remember how you solved this issue back in July, please throw up a post. I'll be watching.

- mischga - 2011-10-06

have installed this version of xbmc with dts master hd...

movies etc work great...unfortunatelly i can´t hear any sound while playing music! just movies work.

does anybody know how i can fix this?

- bluray - 2011-10-07

mischga Wrote:have installed this version of xbmc with dts master hd...

movies etc work great...unfortunatelly i can´t hear any sound while playing music! just movies work.

sorry guys...i'm in toronto for a short vacation. you can try to use exclusive mode and try to change it to 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc but leave everything else checked.

- clubwerks - 2011-10-07

mischga Wrote:have installed this version of xbmc with dts master hd...

I found this glitch and have posted about it several times, but for whatever reason nobody will just simply post this information.

You need to find an old 2 channel stereo TV shows or movie. Start the show or movie. It should have no volume. Hit M to get into the menu. Go to audio. There's a volume slider that is slid all the way to the left at 0.0 dB. Move this WITH YOUR MOUSE all the way to the right to 1.0 dB. It will not move more than halfway or at all with the normal keyboard command. Once that slider is adjusted you should have sound. Not only in old 2 channel TV shows and movies, but in 2 channel audio as well. Basically, this slider changes the output volume of everything that's not passed through digital to the receiver.

- barca888 - 2011-10-09

bluray Wrote:windows 7 mce option-
1. download- w7 codec pack
2. download- shark007 32bit. if you're running w7 x64, you have to download this too- shark007 64-bit
3. follow this step by step visual instruction after 1&2 downloaded and the settings have to be correct for it to work properly- dts-hd and truehd pass-through

Thanks for the advice.

I feel like I'm 85% there, but I still can't get TrueHD for some reason when I'm watching Blu-Rays.

I have a GT430 and I followed the instructions explicitly above...but whenever I try playing any Blu-Rays, it decodes it as DTS, which isn't bad, but I'd like to experience TrueHD on my new HTPC.

Are there any other steps than on the document listed above in order to get this working?

Thanks for your time...

- zYxMa - 2011-10-09

barca888 Wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I feel like I'm 85% there, but I still can't get TrueHD for some reason when I'm watching Blu-Rays.

I have a GT430 and I followed the instructions explicitly above...but whenever I try playing any Blu-Rays, it decodes it as DTS, which isn't bad, but I'd like to experience TrueHD on my new HTPC.

Are there any other steps than on the document listed above in order to get this working?

Thanks for your time...

Are you sure your GT430 supports hd audio?
Previously I had the gtx460 and it worked great with dtshd, truehd etc and then I upgraded to the gtx580 and I got really disappointed. Only certain (currently fermi) chips support hd audio. I returned the gtx580 and bought HD6990 which supports hd audio. All latest ati cards do support hd audio and it is clearly stated in their description unlike nvidia. You won't really know what nvidia card supports hd audio until you do some digging on the Internet. You will hardly find any info regarding hd audio on nvidia website and if you do find it, it won't be very clear.

So please confirm by using software like powerdvd 11.

Also I presume you have windows 7: right click on the speaker icon in tray and go to output devices, then double click on your hdmi output device (your AVR/TV whatever) and in supported formats check that dtshd and truehd is on the list.

If it isn't, you're stuck and if it is try using powerdvd 11.

Also make sure your AVR is set up properly. In most cases when a cinema filter/enhancer/whatever_else is turned on, dts/dd core is used instead of the main dtshd/truehd stream.

- barca888 - 2011-10-09

zYxMa Wrote:Are you sure your GT430 supports hd audio?
Previously I had the gtx460 and it worked great with dtshd, truehd etc and then I upgraded to the gtx580 and I got really disappointed. Only certain (currently fermi) chips support hd audio. I returned the gtx580 and bought HD6990 which supports hd audio. All latest ati cards do support hd audio and it is clearly stated in their description unlike nvidia. You won't really know what nvidia card supports hd audio until you do some digging on the Internet. You will hardly find any info regarding hd audio on nvidia website and if you do find it, it won't be very clear.

So please confirm by using software like powerdvd 11.

Also I presume you have windows 7: right click on the speaker icon in tray and go to output devices, then double click on your hdmi output device (your AVR/TV whatever) and in supported formats check that dtshd and truehd is on the list.

If it isn't, you're stuck and if it is try using powerdvd 11.

Also make sure your AVR is set up properly. In most cases when a cinema filter/enhancer/whatever_else is turned on, dts/dd core is used instead of the main dtshd/truehd stream.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using CyberLink, which was bundled with my BRD.

Under supported formats, TrueHD is definitely listed...

I do have a Denon AVR and I am running Audyssey, I'll try turning that off and see what happens...

- acemt - 2011-10-11

clubwerks Wrote:I found this glitch and have posted about it several times, but for whatever reason nobody will just simply post this information.

You need to find an old 2 channel stereo TV shows or movie. Start the show or movie. It should have no volume. Hit M to get into the menu. Go to audio. There's a volume slider that is slid all the way to the left at 0.0 dB. Move this WITH YOUR MOUSE all the way to the right to 1.0 dB. It will not move more than halfway or at all with the normal keyboard command. Once that slider is adjusted you should have sound. Not only in old 2 channel TV shows and movies, but in 2 channel audio as well. Basically, this slider changes the output volume of everything that's not passed through digital to the receiver.

CLUBWERKS YOU ROCK!!!!!

Why isn't this posted somewhere obvious in this forum. I have been trying for a week to get this to work and it has made me crazy. Thank you so much, you have made my my system perfect now. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

THANKS to YOU ALSO BLURay for writing the program.....

Mark

- wxbcf - 2011-10-11

clubwerks Wrote:I found this glitch and have posted about it several times, but for whatever reason nobody will just simply post this information.

acemt Wrote:CLUBWERKS YOU ROCK!!!!!

Why isn't this posted somewhere obvious in this forum. I have been trying for a week to get this to work and it has made me crazy. Thank you so much, you have made my my system perfect now. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

THANKS to YOU ALSO BLURay for writing the program.....

Mark

!!! Wow, I wondered why none of my 2.0 audio files worked!! I thought it was some problem with my new lion/hdmi install, and I had just about given up that I'd be able to use any of those files anymore. Wow.

For what it's worth, I used the keyboard arrow keys to raise the volume all the way to the right, instead of the mouse. (because apparently I had previously unchecked the "mouse" option)

Thank you for mentioning this Clubwerks! And thank you Mark for the exclamation points, because I apparently totally overlooked the original post!

- steelman1991 - 2011-10-11

acemt Wrote:THANKS to YOU ALSO BLURay for writing the program.....

Mark
Rofl I'm sure 'gnif' will be pleased that all his hard work is appreciated.

- bluray - 2011-10-11

steelman1991 Wrote:Rofl I'm sure 'gnif' will be pleased that all his hard work is appreciated.
gnif turned me into xbmc user since july, and i was never a fan of xbmc before then. he made me a proud user of pre-eden version. with the persistent of pre-eden users, we found ways to make it bitstream hd audios. it's not perfect, but it works. if gnif can fully incorporate dts-hd and truehd options in the next xbmc, he'll attract more xbmc users!

- bluray - 2011-10-11

wxbcf Wrote:!!! Wow, I wondered why none of my 2.0 audio files worked!!
don't feel bad, most of us overlooked the simple thing one way or another. when i first start using pre-eden in july for the first time, it took me a while to figure out it. i considered turning up the volume in xbmc is one of those simple thing!

- steelman1991 - 2011-10-11

Deleted